Has the Crystal Palace Tavern been sold?

ksh

I don't want this to turn into a thread about one guy who happened to register interest in a job - he might have a million other skills which eminantly make him qualified, plus he could be a top boke as well

I'm only talking about the initial thought , when I saw the post. Someone who knows the internet well enough to have an email address and register and post on a forum knows their way around a screen. And if someone suggested to me that I PM somebody else and I couldn't find the button, in order to impress a possible employer I would keep that to myself until I found out how to do it

That's all

Said employer might be impressed by someone who is quick to say "I don't know how to? show me" so it could be my problem

I agree with Keef. Sometimes we don't see the obvious even if it's in front of us. Why should not seeing an option on here exclude one from being an excellent employee? The other point I would make is that many users post here while they are at work. Perhaps they should all be sacked, and those seeking employment excluded on the grounds of being an EDF poster!

I don't want this to turn into a thread about one guy who happened to register interest in a job

Well to be fair, the question...

Has the Crystal Palace Tavern been sold?

Was answered by the second post, so the thread needed a new direction ;-)

It's been up for sale for a good 5 years. There have been some interested parties, but nothing has ever come of it.

I could be wrong, but I think Tricia had a 10 year lease on it, in which case, that is probably coming to an end in the next year or so. She definitely had it when I came back south from Liverpool in 2001.

Jah Lush Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think it's been up for sale for a couple of

> years now as Tricia wants to get rid but so far

> there has been no takers.

Let's buy it....

And if we are recruiting bar staff let's make sure they are internet savvy and know how to PM. Girls with nice tits and big smiles need not apply.

We've had this pipe dream before haven't we Mick? At that time BigPhil suggested it'd have to take 8-10K per week to wash its face and to make the asking price on the lease + refurb costs + start up costs etc a risk worth taking.

We went on to discuss what changes we'd want and came up with putting Keef on the management team, a great juke box, the addition of a small kitchen to the rear and a sympathetic refurb that's different from the rest.

I'd add to that a simple menu of well made classic bar food (5 choices including a classic burger and a concession of Coop's Elvis Hot Dogs perhaps?) and look at how the back and front spaces can become connected again....controversial but are these old divides between saloon bar and lounge bar really part of the future?.

I'd make the beer garden space more intimate and stock the bar with the widest selection of malts in ED and a few choice cold beers and ale on tap to wash the burgers down.

It would be a laid back place with good tunes (early Bowie, Tom Petty...and the rest), a reason to go there (juke box, menu, same quiz) and attract the same diverse crowd mix you get in The Gowlett.

Any takers?

controversial but are

> these old divides between saloon bar and lounge

> bar really part of the future?.

pretty sure a lot of the divides are listed (certainly the bar)

otherwise all great ideas! it really feels like the place just needs a few tweaks to realise its full potential. maybe some investment in getting the beer delivery system tuned up, although i have no idea what that costs. I'm always impressed with how cold the lager is in Scott's establishments, for instance. Getting that right, plus making sure real ale etc can be well looked after could make a difference. Throwing in the odd trendy Japanese/German bottled beer and quality bottled cider (e.g. Westons/Aspells) would help without moving the place too aggressively "upmarket". And if hot food is impossible because of no kitchen space, maybe just some rolls?

anyway i like it fine as it is, but a few changes wouldn't hurt if it would bring in more custom

The Glass work is all listed.

I personally like the old 2 seperate bars thing. Means you can watch the footy, or you can go next door to chat to your mate.

I also love the fact I can still sit at the bar on a stool. I love that, and you don't see it so much now.

Glad you guys are enjoying playing out a pipe dream, but trust me, from experience, to buy, transform and MAKE A PROFIT from this place would not be as easy as you think.... And I would think in the current climate, (with beer duty going up again), you are looking like more like 12k to get into the black each week (before anything breaks down).

Just another thought - I came across this the other day:

http://www.useyourlocal.com/

it's a scheme that, among other things, allows pubs to accept parcels on behalf of customers. doesn't seem to have taken off much yet, but that would definitely be more convenient to me than going to the post office depot (given the opening hours). Wouldn't make a huge difference to a pub's turnover but every little helps.