things to do for teenager??

Hello,

I am new here. Just wanted to ask some advice.

I have my 17 year old cousin and her friend coming form Switzerland, to stay with me next week. Just trying to find some local places that they can go to meet people and have a laugh. They are not drinkers.

Any ideas of youth clubs etc?

Thanks

Hi dullwitch - not a parent myself but we did have a friends teenage son for 3 weeks last year.

Teenagers being teenagers I have no hard and fast answers - they are all different and I would hesitate to suggest anything which will be appreciated. But in my experience, internet access, music and video games will be the weapon of choice.

If they are social creatures they will probably have used msypace/bebo/facebook to meet local people their own age already maybe?

Hey dullwitch,

with such a name I am sure you're VERY resourceful and need no advice >:D<

down leicester square they'll find plenty of of electronic entertainment which I am sure they also have back home in switzerland. What they don't have there is the london eye, madame tussaud, the dungeon etc...

Plus Borough Market / Covent Garden / Camden Lock - which have kept my teenage sons happy over last couple of years. London Walks (website but not sure where) is alo good once the initial whinges are done (Jack the Ripper was best!).

I'm planning to let them do their own thing, pretty much, as I need to look after my 3 year old son and work too.

I'm sure they don't want some "oldy" hanging around them anyway. ;-)

It was more in the evening that I was thinking of... I remember way back.....when I was 17, I was drinking far too much vodka and spending way to much time in places I shouldn't... But they are not like I was, and I'm not sure how they want to entertain themselves. They don't like computer games. I'm at a loss, and I don't fancy sitting in, watching teenage romance dvd's with them every night :-S

To be honest, most of the nearby places which have any entertainment (eg ice skating, bowling, cinema) tend to be fairly dodgy areas. Maybe they'll just be happy grabbing some dinner in one of the local restaurants? Or maybe going to see a band in town, if they're into music?

What sort of teenagers don't drink anyway?!?!? :-S

Seriously, I'd imagine they'll be happy hanging around in Covent Garden where you get all the street entertainment.

Jeremy makes a good point, the ice skating place in Stretham is okay so long as they're pretty streetwise... Same goes for bowling in Lewisham.

not sure if they would be into this, but there are bikes you can rent in dulwich park (they look like laid back pedalos) went down a treat with my niece and nephew when they stayed with me (age 12 and 14 respectively) - if the weather's good it might be worth a try....

but hey, what do i know, i'm just an old codger...

• 1 month later...

Hi Dullwitch,

I can fully understand your predicament. I wouldn't suggest following the advice of BarryRoad or Andyng! After all, we're a good, moral lot here at the forum! I'm with lordshipbod all the way. If that makes me an old codger, so be it!!!

PS. I'm only 33.

Dullwitch,

you can phone and book lessons at the riding school. It's not great, trudging round a barn. You could ask about being taken out to the park if the girls are experienced riders, if not I don't think they will allow it.