New Co-op Store - Better or Worse?

Zak

I suspect it's easy to grow, prolific cropper, looks good in the box and has good resistance to disease, weather changes, etc etc

Flavour not considered crucial.

Bit like those massive flowers they breed for size and colour etc but totally lose all the scent.

Think it depends on what is at the market on that day as to what they buy. It could also be that you like Elsantas!!

Yes,to the first, but an emphatic "No!" to the second part. Tried Elsantas from Sainsbury's years go and they tasted of nothing. :)

I live near and go to the Co op at Forest Hill, I believe in their ethics but sooooo disappointed in their shop, the aisles are so narrow that 2 people are unable to walk down them, the fridges often aren't working, I complained about this on more than 1 occasion but the fridges still weren't working the next time I went in. The shelves are often empty especially after the weekend when it's difficult to buy the most basic stuff. They rarely get free range chicken in which is the only kind I will buy or fresh cream, it's usually that awful long life stuff and the fruit and veg also usually looks past it's best. They just don't seem to do stock control.

jimmyay Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Co-op is not good with food. It's expensive and

> often poor quality in East Dulwich.

xxxxxxx

I disagree. Are you talking about the one in Lordship Lane?

I think it's vastly improved since it first opened as a Co-op.

When you say it's expensive and often poor quality, what are you comparing it with, and can you give examples?

Easties EL Wrote:

I end up always leaving the Co-Op

> empty handed and then making the walk to

> Sainsbury.

xxxxxxxx

Well fair enough, if you don't like the Co-op's selection (and they can hardly stock as wide a selection as Sainsbury's given it's about a tenth of the size :) ) why not just go to Sainsbury's in the first place?

Horses for courses, and we're lucky to have a choice of two supermarkets within easy reach.

Elsanta strawberries are hardier, last longer, and look more like a "classic" strawberry, hence they push out other varities - taste doesn't really come into it.

Its a similar situation to Apples a few years ago when the choice of english apples in supermarkets was pretty much limited to Coxes. Hopefully we will begin to see a move to more variety as we have with Apples, and places like Pretty Traditional are likely to be at the forfront of this.

I really like the new co-op! I really like the staff and prefer it now they have bought in lots of co-op own brand items as it is cheaper to shop for essentials. It doesn't pretend to be a massive supermarket and I always manage to find something to fill the fridge. I shop there all the time now because they have good ethics and lots of good offers

samstopit Wrote:

> I shop in this co-op every week or so and have not

> yet had my bank account cleared out within hours

> of using my debit card in the chip'n'pin machine.

So, deh COOP nah t'ief dem, like deh Babylon Somerfield.

Some'a feel deh Somerfield a put dem hand in a poor conscious man or woman pocket an' play pure f@ckery wit' dem.

Me reasonin' is dat COOP 'ave ettic. Not to mention t'ing.

So from now, me will patronise the COOP, an' a-collec' me divvy.

'Til a course deh police station a-close on account of local politricks, dem. Possibly.

Though if a Waitrose was to open in its place...

I and I would give t'anks an' praise, me consider John Lewis irie in the extreme.

Seen?

i find the staff generally very nice and friendly but overall i think most stuff is overpriced compared to sainsburys - tho the co-op own brand stuff is nice and reasonable. can't say i really notice much of a difference since they changed from somerfield tho

Waitrose would *love* to open a supermarket but unfortunately there's no premises that have enough space, and where there is the current owners/leasers don't want to relinquish such prime locations!

such a shame... would love to use my discount! ;-)

for the record though, I really like the co-op, even if their choices are somewhat limited. I think their premium own-brand stuff is particularly good though and very reasonably priced in comparison to other stores

esme Wrote:

can't say i really

> notice much of a difference since they changed

> from somerfield tho

xxxxxxxxx

?? I think it's changed out of all recognition!

WORSE.

Inconsistant Service.

Often empty shelves 'Resembling 1950's Eastern European Shop.

Many reduced items due to imminent use by date.

Fish I bought which did have 3 days left, already rotten. Suggests it had been relabled.

Prices match that of the over-priced Tesco/Sainsburys convience stores.

Counter staff generally polite.

DulwichFox Wrote:

>

> Many reduced items due to imminent use by

> date.

>

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx

I think this is an advantage, personally. I quite often get bargains on their reduced items.

And I imagine the number of reduced items (due to imminent use-by dates) has increased because they are slightly over-stocking, which I would much rather they did than under-stocked, which when they first became the Co-op they seemed to do.

The empty shelves are often at times when they are changing over the special offers, I have realised.