'congratulations on your pregnancy' pressie - advice please

millsa

A colleague has just announced she is pregnant. She is not a friend (we don't go out after work etc) but someone I want to keep a good working relationship with. It took her ages to get pregnant and I'd like to buy her something nice to congratulate on the pregancy. I remember getting the 'What to expect when you are expecting' book and a range of 'Mum-to-be' products from Neil's Yard from my work colleagues which I really liked, so that's one idea (she wasn't there at the time so she wouldn't know).

any other ideas most appreciated please!!! :)

Just got my sister-in law some foot cream from Dr Boo. Would have got some lovely tummy oils but didn't want to draw to the fact that she will get big (she is very thin and conscious of her weight). Also steered away from baby things (books etc) in case something went wrong with the pregnancy.

the mamma mio range which Dr Boo sells (and also jojo maman bebe I think) is really nice and does t hings like a little travel/sample size set which my husband got me when i was pregnant - has tummy oil, shower stuff, a mini candle - I loved it.

boots do a sanctuary mums to be gift box of goodies to treat herself. I got one for my friend in the same situation after she finally got pregnant after a couple of miscarriages and she was over the moon with it as It was something for her and not too baby related when she was scared stiff incase anything went wrong again.

Sorry to be negative, but don't think any gift is necessary/appropriate for work colleagues (as opposed to friends), unless maybe it is the kind of workplace where people generally do things like that for birthdays, big events etc.

Also, some people are funny about pregnancy/baby-related gifts etc., especially if telling colleagues at an early stage

Perhaps just a card would be nice, or cakes for the office? Then later on when the baby arrives or she goes on leave a pressie from the whole team?

Now I am feeling mean, but having had fertility issues and recently announced my pregnancy at work I wouldn't have wanted any kind of fuss from colleagues. Sometimes people seem OK, or may have told people that "has taken a while", but they may not have revealed the whole story and may be more sensitive than they appear.

I'm sort of with Smiler on this - I had a very worrying start to my pregnancy and was very jittery about getting too excited, and definitely would have felt funny about receiving gifts - just not wanting to tempt fate. But a colleague who is also a very close friend baked some red velvet cupcakes and brought them in for our team meeting when I made my official announcement at work. The fact she had spent her evening baking them was really touching - and red velvet cupcakes are traditionally celebratory. For me it was a perfect and lovely thing to do.

I understand what Smiler and poppy say and I would probably have similar concerns if I didn't know her well. I know that she will be very pleased with something from me. I did get a gift from her when I got pregnant and we also got lovely baby things after my son was born.

thanks for the advice above - I wasn't planning on getting anything baby-related, pampering things seem like the best idea.

• 2 weeks later...
may be a bit late but i got a jar of oil from Clarins from a friend and it was great, loved putting it on my bump every morning after shower, fantastic smell, put me in a good mood for the rest of the day. it doesn't say "use during pregnancy" like mamma mio range on the bottle but the staff at clarins would know, there is only one of them, forgot the name of it. it lasted me through the whole pregnancy and i got it for one of my colleagues when she got pregnant and she loved it too. i'll certainly be getting it again if having another baby.