Oooh he's nice - I'll vote for him......I think.

Mick Mac

Of course, no politician will announce that they're against the family. But there is ample space for inter-party competition on this count and good reasons to project yourself actively as supporting families and mothers.

Leaders matter to both men and women. And sometimes, though not always, women like a particular leader far more strongly than men do.

A leader's popularity rests on whether people like and trust them and feel they understand ordinary lives. Many voters, including many women, have no interest in detailed policies. They vote on a more intuitive feel for the whole package on offer.

And women do seem, on average, to respond to rather different signals from men. So the mood music matters. In fact, to reach undecided women as election day approaches, Mumsnet is probably less good than Grazia and daytime TV better still.

Alison Wolf is professor of management at King's College London.

katie1997 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> My vote:

Oooh me too! He loves his food! I love that in a man! In that case, what about him:

Cute or what? (and loves his food)

http://pauseliveaction.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/valentine-warner.jpg

Mick Mac Wrote:

> My wife won't iron my shirts. She pays a shop to

> do it. She manages to do this even though she has

> no money. I think in some circular fashion I iron

> my own shirts.

Ha ha I was kidding. Where I used to live (Essex) they charged 2.50 a shirt. Not bad huh?

I knew I could turn this thread around to domestic matters like ironing. Its what I'm passionate about. Politics? Never....

I agree with Legalbeagle's assertion that women have an interest in government: "family matters - child trust fund? Government funded childcare? State school system/national curriculum? No fault divorce? Child support agency? Maternity rights? Paternity rights? Flexible working legislation?"

What I disagree with is that most people have got a clue about each party's stance on these.

There's a general feeling that Conservative is low tax, low benefits, and Labour is the opposite. There's an air of consternation about 'what makes it better?', but I think most people's interests are closer to home: 'Can I get a job, can I pay the mortgage, can I go on holiday this year?'.

I don't think there's any difference between men and women on this.

I think men in general prefer to take a position because it demonstrates 'leadership' qualities, and then defend it right or wrong because that demonstrates 'strength' and 'commitment'. These are aspirational masculine traits. 'Leaders' apparently make their mind up early.

I think women in general probably prefer to be seen as more 'conciliatory' and 'open minded', and that means appearing to be listening by taking a fluid stance.

I also think that's genetic. There will be exceptions because that's how standard deviation works. Legalbeagle may well be an outlier.

Either way, despite appearances I think most people have made their mind up gradually over the last ten years, and in the end they'll revert to type.

The only variation is if there's a game changer like the Lib Dems, and that's why the other parties are working so hard to destroy confidence.

katie1997 Wrote:

> Silly...you forgot to add: 'Disclaimer: this is

> my view. (Please shout at me)*'

>

> * Once you've finished your coffee/chatting/chores

yes - very good katie, that was funny. :)

I think women in general probably prefer to be seen as more 'conciliatory' and 'open minded', and that means appearing to be listening by taking a fluid stance.

That is so complimentary. I like that. You should be a politician Hugenot, with a line like that.

Lets put the Great back in Britain!

http://www.dulwichmum.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Fabulous11.jpg

The established political parties have done nothing to inspire or excite at this Election

Lets put the Great back in Britain (stomps foot)

VOTE NO 1 THE FABULOUS PARTY

We represent the glamorous woman in all of us (bats eyelashes)!

The woman who feels nauseated at the thought of supermarket skincare, instant coffee, Ryanair, Lidl, Primark, Artex, Cash in the attic and stick on bricks

We Believe:

? Pyres should be built from Crocs, Fitflops, Uggs and MBTs ? we intend to show no mercy for the manufacturers of ugly footwear, particularly those that peddle ineffective ?therapeutic? footwear ? based on Masai Warrior barefoot technology: designed by Germans, researched in Wolverhampton and manufactured in a Philippine sweatshop

? The Daily Mail shall be closed (the Famail section can stay ? clearly!)

? Jonnie Boden should be first on the ducking stool and anyone found wearing a fun skirt shall be slapped in the stocks

? Those wearing low-slung trousers, ?full sleeve? tattoos, excessive body piercing and/or gormless facial expressions shall be slapped in stocks

? Child benefit should be replaced by vouchers for local beauty parlors and every woman issued with a figure enhancing Isabella Oliver ensemble of her choice accessorised with matching Sara Berman ?it? bag in the party colour (Elephant?s Breath by Farrow & Ball) ? because we really are worth it (smirk)!

? Every small dog shall be officially known as a doglet

? Every lazer should work for their living (I know what goes on, I have seen the The Jeremy Kyle Show ? I am sure that we all have lots of roles around our homes that could be filled by these feckless shirkers; cleaner, nail technician, dog walker, personal trainer)

? Every Boarding School should be modeled on Mallory Towers and every public school financed by the public purse (nice policies for nice people)!

? Every daughter should study Jane Austen from reception and every son coached in the art of gentlemanly behavior ? just like daddy (wipes tear from eye)

Doesn?t this party simply make you glad to be alive(sigh)?

We shall begin, by sacking all of the nasty people!

I can ask one of the lovely dads at my son?s school to sort out the economy because we simply must not shy away from the real issues, and with the help of my interior designer I will work on mood boards for No 10 and I will not be scrimping on the Farrow and Ball and Osborne & Little!

We shall take a hard line and stand firm for what we believe

We shall rebuild Blighty ? plantation shutters for No 10 and a branch of Waitrose on every high street or be damned!

Hurrah!

Join us and declare how fabulous you are for all the world to see!

(could someone please rewrite the lyrics for Don?t cry for me Argentina ? to include mentions of The Fabulous Party and, of course, Dulwich?)