Working 4 days a week: Mon vs. Fri off?

Hello all,

I will be going back to work this October 4 days a week. Had always assumed I would work Mon-Thu but vaguely remember someone saying taking Monday off works out better re: bank holidays, etc. Does anyone know how this is the case?

Many thanks in advice.

If you are not contracted to work mondays then you will not be entitled the bank holidays, so in that respect it is better to take the fridays off as you will still get the bank holidays. You might also find that most people that do the four day week tend to take the fridays, so socially it might be better to take the friday as your day off.

Axx

If you want to go away for weekends etc it's better to have Friday off, also schools often have Sports Days, assembly etc on Fridays so if this is your day off you'd be able to attend more of these once your child starts school.

butcher and fishmonger closed on Mondays if that is a consideration for you at all, I prefer midweek or Friday day off as often more of a relaxed, less serious mood in offices on Friday so feels less like you are a slacker!

I work Mondays and in my two recent posts have had to inc bank holidays as part of my holiday entitlement so that;s something to consider - i.e. if I had 15 days holiday, four of those were bank holidays - so only 11 of my 'own' if that makes sense.

I would definitely take the Friday off. Most people do, so if you want to be hooking up with other mums for play dates etc then this is your best option.

I think that if you are only working 3 days you'll need to get stuff done and it can be hard to knuckle down on a Friday as katgod says there's a Friday feeling in most offices

hi amy

i started a thread on this recently - dont know how to paste the link to it (dah) but its entitled Part time childcare - any tips on what works best for you? and dated 14 April. Monday didnt work for me but that was before baby.

I have a tuesday off but only just started back so not sure how well it will work. On bank holidays though - the number of bank holidays you are entitled to should be prorated like your normal holidays - i.e. there are 8 bank holidays a year and if you work 4 days you get 6.4 bank holidays. Therefore as I am in work on a Monday and Friday (which covers most bank holidays) i may have to use some of my normal holiday allowance to make up for the 1.6 days i am not entitled to. Hope that makes sense.

I have Mondays and Tuesdays off. I quite like being at work at the end of the week and my colleagues are always pleased to see me! Also nice not to have that Sunday feeling especially after a busy weekend. But most of my friends work the beginning of the week so feel as if I'm missing out a bit.

I have Mondays off and love it. No Sunday night feeling nagging away and on a Friday everyone in the office is in a great mood so it's a good day to be in. Plus people don't expect you to stay as late on a Friday often. I have extra days off as part of my annual leave to make up for not having BHs so I can then choose to have a Fri off before the bank holiday to make up for it!

Hey

I take Mondays off but am still entitled to bank holidays so these get added to my annual leave - it works out great for me as it increases my AL and means nearly an extra week off.

I like working Fridays as I don't feel guilty when I have to leave on time....because everyone else leaves on time on a Friday! In the week people often work late so I feel a bit guilty rushing out of the door.

I would check with your employer re: bank holidays as if you are not entitled if you don't work on a Monday, then I would definately work Monday to make sure I got them!

I have Fridays off - in my line of work it makes more sense to be there at the beginning of the week when there are lots of meetings and projects being kicked off. Originally I had Tuesdays off, but this works much better. Also, lots of people take Fridays off/leave early/go to the pub at lunchtime, so it always felt more like half a day. Good luck with your decision!

HI - I take Thurs and Fri off. Def get more of a weekend feeling taking Fri rather than Mon off. HOWEVER, if you're after classes etc to do with kiddies then not mush Surestart/COunstil free stuff happening then - most seems to be MOnday to Wedneday. Can you try it and change your mind about the day later if you need to?

B