Cycling: issues/noticeboard

Ladymuck

Womanofdulwich did you look at the Brooks ladies B17? I do find it to be a really comfy saddle (I'm not associated with Brooks or anything :D ). I've not done a 45 mile ride on it, but it saw me through a 28m and 35m ride with ease without anything like saddle sores (nor padded shorts). Depending on which Selle saddle you were looking at, it's probably in roughly the same price range, or quite a bit cheaper.

I have two of these:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/brooks/b17-std-s-ladies-saddle-ec007599

which are a bit less than say this:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/selle-italia-slk-gel-flow-saddle

I can't see Brooks doing padded saddles as such as they're all leather moulded, but the flyer is touted as a good touring saddle and has springs if you wanted a bit more 'bounce'. It also comes in a 'ladies' specific model:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/brooks/flyer-s-ladies-saddle-ec007601

Like I said before, the Brooks needed breaking in - I had to do about 100 miles on it before it was really comfy, but I can't fault it now. I've also heard good things about the San Marco Rolls but no experience of that. I'm sure the Selle Italia SLK is good too, just throwing some (potentially) cheaper options out there.

i did have a quick look in evans today but realise you need to have a bike to sit on to get a feel for it- I have ben advised to see lincoln at brixton cycles, but not sure if thats 'cos he a handsome fella or he is good at saddles! the brooks saddle looks like the equivalent of leather hiking boots- lots of wearing in!.

womanofdulwich Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I have ben advised to see lincoln at

> brixton cycles, but not sure if thats 'cos he a

> handsome fella or he is good at saddles!

Probably both, but definitely the former! He is supremely helpful and knowledgeable. Sold me my last bike: patiently tweeked and adjusted it until it provided the perfect fit. Good advice to go and see him(tu).

A friend of mine saw red when he was cut up and almost knocked over by idiot on Moped. He caught him at the lights and asked for an apology but just got told to eff off. Caught him at next lights, got off brompton, picked up brompton and threw half folded bike at the guys's head. Moped bloke was wearing a helmet so was fine, but it knocked him off the moped and shocked the crap out of him. He did then apologise. An extreme response, but made the point to applause from other cyclists. Fine line though, like the whole vigilante / take a stand discussion on the other thread.

Right I'm back to watching Falling Down...

hmm -it was a 10 year old boy sitting in passenger seat- when I caught him up and asked him what he had said his mum - who was driving said - "leave him alone hes just a kid" and drove off quick. i wanted him to get out the car and apologise-even better if his Mum had made him get out and apologise.

I'm quite good at doing the "tosser" sign at drivers who abuse unnecessarily (depending on how many are in the car and how beefy they are!), but to a child? No. Shame on his mum. Don't let it put you off cycling though. Other road users are mainly OK. Have you taken advantage of the free cycling lessons in Southwark? The instructor will - amongst other things - teach you how to ride assertively.

Forget this incident and enjoy this wonderful mode of transportation.

Just a reminder to those who don't wander into 'What's On' regularly, that there's a cycle from Dulwich to Brighton this Sunday - at a leisurely pace and with the promise of stops for sustenance and icecream en route. It's about 50 miles and we're estimating a 4-5 hour trip. It's not a round trip - we plan on catching the train home again!

More info on this thread where you can post your intention to join us so that we don't set off without you. ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
A big THANK YOU to the lovely guys at Dr Bikes who set up stall at Northcross Road Market today in order to undertake bike checks, repairs, and routine maintenance to ED two-wheelers; and who fixed that irritating scraping noise which was emanating from my front wheel. Great job! And all for FREE!

Thanks, LM - will email Tessa accordingly (although she's never once responded to me)

One other thing that I'd encourage cyclists to do if they work for a company that operates HGVs, is to ask them what training they offer drivers with regards to cyclists and whether their vehicles are fitted with safety devices (additional mirrors, skirts on the wheels or sensors/recordings). I raised it a while back with mine and they're now implementing some additional safety training for the drivers; and doing local sessions with cyclists who commute to work to show them the blind spots.

Btw - it's Lidl reflective spoke sale time again - next week - 5/6 September it starts, I think.

Applespider Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Btw - it's Lidl reflective spoke sale time again -

> next week - 5/6 September it starts, I think.

I have yet to find any of these spokes...and I have tried, and tried and tried! But thanks for letting us know, Applespider: will give it one more go.

BTW, sorry about your lack of response from TJ - I've had the opposite experience. Strange.