Cycling: issues/noticeboard

Ladymuck

@ Applespider

Fabulous pics. of the "Space for Cyclists" event. Thanks for sharing. Whilst acknowledging the serious point of the ride, it really does look like it was a lot of fun.

@ katanita

Just wondered if you managed to email LCC regarding accidents and, if so, whether you would mind sharing any reply? Thanks.

@ LadyDeliah

Which Lidl did you go to? Was it the one on Rye Lane? Thanks.

And, whilst I'm here:

There are 97 new cycle lockers to rent in Southwark. If there are none near you and you would like to request some, then ring/email Cyclehoop:

www.cyclehoop.com/rentals/london-borough/southwark

0208 699 1338.

Only kids' and giants' sizes currently remain in Lidl, though they said more "may" be coming in.

Re. the "cycle locker room" you mention above, LadyDeliah, this is different and in addition to the rental scheme run by Cyclehoop. For those that aren't aware, this latter project is: http://www.southernrailway.com/southern/news/peckham-rye-cycle-hub-open-for-business/ where you may park your bike, get it maintained or you may rent one. I am unsure whether it applies to folding bikes only though. Will be interesting to see how popular it proves.

Agreed. I started as a fair weather cyclist only planning on riding in on sunny days to justify having got my bike on the cycle to work scheme. Then I discovered that it made my commute far more pleasant and stuck at it year-round. I save a good 30-40 minutes a day too on the round-trip.

I'd seen the version of that map where you put in your location but the one on that page is interesting. I'm assuming the pink near us is because of the Overground line that makes getting to Stratford quick from Forest Hill/Honor Oak. The worst thing about getting to Stratford on a bike is getting across the river...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
The cyclist killed in Croydon was my son. I understand it is thought that, for some reason, he lost control and fell off his bicycle, then was hit. One paper appears to have given a misleading account, based, I understand, on the statement of some-one who phoned that paper, which has upset me a great deal. My son, Roger, was fanatical about safety and could never be described by anyone who knew him as an aggressive cyclist.

Laddy Muck Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If you are concerned over the recent spate of

> cyclist deaths and would like to see an

> improvement in infrastructure, then PLEASE sign

> this e-petition. It takes only seconds.

>

> http://petition.lcc.org.uk/ea-action/action?ea.cli

> ent.id=1745&ea.campaign.id=23782

>

> DONE.

Done also.

Cycling provision in the UK is appalling and these deaths are totally avoidable, but no-one in power wants to make the necessary changes.

I apologise for being insensitive at a horrible time. I was met with the normal kneejerk response from non cyclists, particularly those in the outer boroughs, in Beckenham last night. Oh it is all your fault as you cyclists jump red lights. I said that they shouldn't make assumptions without evidence.

On the ROSPA website:

Reported Road Casualties [obviously most due to road vehicles] in Great Britain, 2012

Killed 1,754

Seriously Injured 23,039 (ROSPA estimate that due to many unreported accidents this is more like 80,000)

Slightly Injured 193,784 (ROSPA estimate over 660,000 due to unreported accidents)

All 195,723

Common causes of these unnecessary tragedies include:

Speeding

Around 400 people a year

Drink Driving

Around 280 people die a year in crashes in which someone was over the legal drink drive limit.

Careless Driving

More than 300 deaths a year involve someone being "careless, reckless or in a hurry", and a further 120 involve "aggressive driving".

Inexperience

More than 400 people are killed in crashes involving young car drivers aged 17 to 24 years, every year, including over 150 young drivers, 90 passengers and more than 170 other road users.

Loosely dividing these numbers by total population/London population, and obviously not taking into account much greater vehicle mileage, shows far more deaths associated with powered road vehicles than push bikes and a significant number due to reckless/drunk/inexperienced driving.

I am shocked that people do not express sympathy following the recent bike deaths rather than get on an anti-bike soapbox. Sadly I lost a close friend following a low speed motorbike accident many years ago and still remember someone saying that he deserved it for riding a motorbike...

I've been lucky. Annabel so sorry to hear of your loss.

Annabel, many condolences to you and your family. This week has really brought home the 'there but the grace of god' factor as a cyclist and I'd hate to imagine my mother going through what you are.

Please let us know if there are any local services for him or if there's anywhere to send donations in his name. I'd like to pay my respects as a fellow cyclist if I can.

annabel42 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The cyclist killed in Croydon was my son. I

> understand it is thought that, for some reason, he

> lost control and fell off his bicycle, then was

> hit. One paper appears to have given a misleading

> account, based, I understand, on the statement of

> some-one who phoned that paper, which has upset me

> a great deal. My son, Roger, was fanatical about

> safety and could never be described by anyone who

> knew him as an aggressive cyclist.

How awful for you.

Comments by arseholes blaming cyclists for being a victim always seem to follow cyclists' deaths. It makes me sick and I'm sorry you have had the same treatment re your son's death.

I can't imagine how you must be feeling.

I am so so sorry annabel. Blaming and finger pointing are just not appropriate when so many people have lost their lives, no matter what the circumstances were. I can't begin to fathom how you must be feeling. My thoughts are with you.

Dear Annabel,

very very sorry to read of your loss.

My son cycles in London all the time and belongs to various groups who will be remembering and campaigning.

Please, as an earlier commenter said, let us know if there is a memorial event we could attend. Or if you prefer a private service, at least know massive EDF support is there in the background.

Thank you all so much for your messages of condolence, which are a great source of comfort to Roger's brother and me.

Roger's funeral service will be held at St Bartholomew's Church, Sydenham, the week after next, either on the Tuesday or the Friday, followed by his cremation service at Honor Oak Crematorium, Brenchley Gardens, after which there will be a celebration of his life at a nearby venue.

I will post more precise details as soon as arrangements are finalised, early next week.

All are welcome to either or both services and to the gathering afterwards. I look forward to meeting you all.

Applespider - thank you for your suggestion of donations in Roger's name. I have discussed this with family and we will be setting up something in Roger's name with the aim of benefiting cyclists' safety. Any suggestions in this regard would be most welcome.

Road Peace was set up by a bereaved family. Have a look at the website. It might be a type of balm and might give you ideas.

http://www.roadpeace.org

The London Cycle Campaign might give you ideas as well and also might be a place to find positive support and maybe even peace

http://lcc.org.uk

You are hugely brave to post here. I hope some of the unthinking members of this forum will have a reality check

Maybe Admin could stick this post to the top of The Lounge or better, the main section where there's more traffic. At least, Admin, this might deserve prominence for a week or two so that there's a pause to reflect on what this type of needless death means to families.

I have a 19-year-old boy. He and his dad cover 1000's of miles on their bicycles. Me too but hundreds not thousands. This is the only thing I have ever worried about.

My condolences Annabel, so sorry to hear about your son.

Tragically it seems another cyclist has been killed on the roads today, on Camberwell Road. No report I can find yet but apparently via Met Police https://twitter.com/se5/status/402421158001516544. From the sounds of it the area is cordoned off and best avoided at the moment.

If anyone ever wants cycling routes from ED that avoid main roads let me know, I take back streets wherever I can to avoid coming into contact with lots of traffic or large vehicles so have quite a lot of routes I can suggest e.g. ones that avoid using Camberwell/Walworth road, or Camberwell New Road.

I'm not sure what this horrible recent spate of deaths is about, I just hope it leads to action on cycle safety and better provision for cyclists on the raod.

I actually find minor roads to be less safe. Far more parked cars and blind turnings with cars pulling in and out unable to see me, no cycle lanes and much less space in general. Plus, unless it's a regular journey, on back street cut thrus I'm trying to figure out where I'm going rather than 100% focussing on the road itself.

I can understand why it works for other cyclists though. Horses for courses.