Empty shop next to White Stuff LL

I notice the shop adjacent to the double White Stuff unit on LL is under offer, anyone know who to?

I know the asking was ?32,500 PA plus a premium. These rents are now getting up near central London levels. I think the inevitable influx of the big boys is about to wash over LL.

We discussed this on 2007-06-15:

> This would bring the fixed costs (before employing staff and variable overheads such as electricty) up to about ?41,000 pa requiring a gross profit of ?82 per square foot pa just to meet the fixed costs

I still can't think of any local type independent retailer who could meet these costs and break even.

Just been out doing errands out on LL. You can get a good peek inside White Stuff, round the side - it has a patterned back wall with a centred fireplace. Had a brief conversation with a nearby retailer who was also taking a look:

Me:"When will it open?"

Him: "Two weeks. It will be good for the shops here because it is different."

Me: "What about the shop next to it?"

Him: "I hear it's going to be a gift shop. And the shop on the roundabout will be a gift shop, too. Too many gift shops".

[i nod in agreement]. Me: "What about Foxtons?"

Him: "One month."

So there we have it, some gossip hot off the presses. Trust it as much as you trust any gossip on this site.

Too many gift shops??

I had to buy a 'gift' on saturday for my 29 yr old sister.

It was impossible to find something interesting, stylish and usefull at the ?50-60 mark.

She ended up with Dr Boo stuff and booze. All I wanted was something for the house / lifestyle, but the shops on LL are so small they only sell shitty little knick nacks. Picture frames, fluffy things, shoes for the disabled (Crocs I think they are called) novelty moroccan tea glasses, really duff jewellery etc. Then - ?200 for a DAB radio, ?70 for a pot plant (bush really), ?1000 for a venitian painting.

I say bring on the gift shops - just stock something usefull and interesting in them. The gift shop is usefull - just wish it was Oliver Bonas who at least has some nice stuff and changes stock regularly.

Cool Ultraconsultancy!

BTW have you been to the new Rough Trade shop in the Truman Brewery? Just called in on my lunch break, and it looks like a great space, CD's, loads of (new) vinyl - it's amazing what's being re-released on vinyl these days. Plus they have a cafe, and a 'snug' with sofas and free wi-fi. Now if ED could have a more compact version of that...

all this time i had thought the white stuff shop was that interior designer type shop with lots of lovely white goods. now i've realised it's going to be a trendy clothes shop???? which i suppose east dulwich does lack.

I think "trendy" is pushing it but people who denigrate it are being a bit harsh. Yes it's possible to buy things in there that make you look embarrasing but it will be a shop that sells a range of jeans, shirts, t shirts, skirts and dresses at affordable prices (not wage-slavery primark prices - but affordable to many in ED)

Which despite the efforts of ED the shop is something we don't have on LL so I'm ok with this one