Old Electrical Shop - Peckham Rye

Does anyone know what's going on here? On the corner of Peckham Rye & The Gardens there's obviously a lot of development in hand but to what end? It looks over Peckham Rye and could be a great site for a high end restaurant but I've seen no clues

It should reopen as an old electrecical shop, selling old electricals.

For the youngsters, colour televisions, Stylophones, power-driven whisks and music centres, I mean where the flip else are we going to play our Dolby cassettes?

There could also be a section for Dansette disc players, Teasmades and top-loading washing machines.

We'll need the washing machine for our threads after frugging and grooving to the sounds of the Dansette, sweaty we'll be.

Cup o' tea wouldn't go amiss neither.

I think it is probably because people live above it, which makes it very difficult. Late night noise etc. I agree it is a wonderful old space. Does anyone want to open something in Herne Hill? Contact me if you are serious as I have some options up my sleeve ......

The shop has been empty for years and I remember a while back the lease was sold and then put back on the market as they could use the premises for food/drinks.... maybe has something to do with the cafe on the common? What ever they do with it hoe the old shop front stays the same since it retains its Victorian charm....

There was a recent application to change it into a cafe/restaurant but this was turned down. I think the primary concern was pressure on parking but there were also concerns expressed by residents about noise and I think there was a ventilation duct that wasn't considered very sympathetic to the design of the building (this predates me as a councillor so apologies that I'm not 100% sure of the details...)

I understand from council officers that a new application has been submitted. It should be on the planning section of the council website shortly.

Victoria.

Labour Councillor for Peckham Rye ward

[email protected]

T: 07535932318

• 3 weeks later...

The latest planning application says:

Details of planning application - 10/AP/1123

Change of use of the ground floor retail unit (A1) and the ancillary office use (B1) to a restaurant (A3) with a community room (D1) for meetings and local artist display function. Extraction duct to be erected on the north elevation. Entrance door to be installed.

Sounds good and it'll be interesting to see if it gets through this time round.

• 3 months later...

I thought I saw Lord Sugar appropriately in Lordship Lane (I lie)

Maybe he'll go back to his roots.

HonaloochieB Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It should reopen as an old electrecical shop,

> selling old electricals.

> For the youngsters, colour televisions,

> Stylophones, power-driven whisks and music

> centres, I mean where the flip else are we going

> to play our Dolby cassettes?

>

> There could also be a section for Dansette disc

> players, Teasmades and top-loading washing

> machines.

> We'll need the washing machine for our threads

> after frugging and grooving to the sounds of the

> Dansette, sweaty we'll be.

> Cup o' tea wouldn't go amiss neither.

It's rachel here tom's partner. I can't wait for this to open, I live in the gardens and always thought it should be a cafe. I've been fantasizing about strolling down with me paper of a Sunday. I talked to one of the builders and he said there's not going to be a kitchen there which seems weird. I hope it's going to do more than soup and quiche etc, if its just food prep and not cooking, how is it going to be different from the cafe on the rye or homemade...? we shall see. anyone know an opening date?