The Stationers on Lordship Lane

HAL9000 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Imagine going into Sainsbury's and insisting on

> opening every tin and bottle before purchasing in

> case one doesn't like the flavour or the contents

> have gone off?

Actually, you've just reminded me of something. I know a little old lady who regularly goes into Supermarkets such as Tescos, Sainsbury's, Morrisons etc. (she's not fussy!) and walks up and down the fruit aisle tasting all the grapes, plums, peaches, strawberries - you name it (as, I said, she's not fussy!) until she's effectively eaten the equivalent of a large dessert. She then turns to leave, but not before looking directly at the CCTV cameras and putting on a face which expresses great distaste in her mouth.

I have warned her that she may get arrested for such behaviour as this constitutes theft. However, she merely laughs in my face and retorts: "what they gonna do to an old lady like me eh?".

Priceless!

sillywoman Wrote:

> Domitianus Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I was in the shop once when he refused

> > to refund a customer for some sort of faulty

> goods

> > - he insisted that the chap return it to the

> > manufacturer even though the customer quite

> > rightly pointed out that his contract was with

> the

> > shop.

>

> Oooh, that might have been me. Was it 12 years

> ago? I stood my ground though & threatened trading

> standards. He gave me the refund though he made

> his cowed looking lady assistant give it to me

> from her personal purse (!! what was that about?).

> Then he banned me from his shop forever. It hasn't

> really had a negative impact on my life, but I'm

> glad to see the nasty little man go finally.

Twas much more recent than that Sillywoman so obviously he hasn't learnt his lesson.

Reg Smeeton Wrote:

> Anyone heard of Godwin's Law? (If you haven't,

> look it up)

cant be bothered , can you just tell us what it is .

by the way , there is still no name for the back of the knees .as far as I know .:))

Goodwins law:

is a humorous observation made by Mike Godwin in 1990 which has become an Internet adage. It states: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1"

expat Wrote:

> Goodwins law:

> is a humorous observation made by Mike Godwin in

> 1990 which has become an Internet adage. It

> states: "As an online discussion grows longer, the

> probability of a comparison involving Nazis or

> Hitler approaches 1"

xxxxxxxx

So what's the probablity of the comparison being made in the second post of an online discussion then?

no prams in le chandlier is probably a plus to most grown-ups, including and especially the pram-pushers themselves who ocassionally get to go out without it- and space is a different issue in a restaurant. i just think it is/was really bizarre to ban such a huge portion of your passing trade. the one and only time i went in the man in question gave me a good five minutes to struggle with the door, pram, bags of shopping, crying baby, my usual glamorous accoutrements, and waited till i got to the counter to ask him something before he told me i wasn't allowwed in and did i not see the sign on the door. nope. i had been holding the it open with my arse. and he put me out! and there was no-one else in the shop! that's over two years ago and i still can't believe it. getting out that door was a lot quicker than getting in.

But cf also this, which is the meaning that first comes to my mind, from the Wikipedia entry: "...there is a tradition in many newsgroups and other Internet discussion forums that once such a comparison is made, the thread is finished and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically "lost" whatever debate was in progress. This principle itself is frequently referred to as Godwin's law. It is considered poor form to raise such a comparison arbitrarily with the motive of ending the thread."

I'm not invoking it here. :)

BTW, thanks to the contrarian contributors for providing some balancing information. I hope Mr Ralon enjoys his retirement or whatever he'll be pursuing.

Sorry all, did not mean to cause such a diversion in the debate so early on. I am already aware of Goodwins law and have to use the defence of being part of the Young Ones generation (my sister was too young but did pick up 'what's it to you piss face?' at 4 years old which certainly silenced our mum at the dinner table).

I thought of a few other descriptions of the the ink crusader, most of which were on a genatalian theme and would have caused more offence than nazi. These were purely based on our experiences of two visits, where he seemed intent on putting as many barriers in place to buying any of his stock.

I'm sure he has done a lot for charity but then again so has Heather Mills.

Robert Wyatt wrote a song seeming to favour Stalin in his opposition to the 'Beast of Berlin' , and I like Robert Wyatt well enough.

Too beardy (unless you're one of The Dubliners, then don't, just don't) and a bit too floundering 'commie', but a bona fide national treasure.

His version of I'm A Believer is quite the cat's pyjamas.

I trust you're referring to Stalin Wasn't Stallin'. Wyatt didn't write it. It was actually a cover version of a song by a wartime American gospel group who were praising Stalin for being on their side against the Nazis. I think he was making a point about selective memory and making alliances of convenience or something.

Or maybe he just thought it was a good tune. I only know this because it was played on 6Music a couple of weeks ago and I just had to look it up. Which is something that never happens when listening to Heart FM.

Is this off-topic, btw?

Vince Wrote:

> I trust you're referring to Stalin Wasn't

> Stallin'. Wyatt didn't write it.

I was.

I liked it when I bought the cassette tape, I'll have to look for it and play it again.

I'll have to find out which album it was featured on.

It's alright, don't look it up, I'm keen to search and have a bit of a guess.

I'm a believer in that respect.

• 2 months later...