I admire your front garden

kwi

I thought I'd start a thread appreciating some of the front gardens I have admired in ED on my journeys. Whether it has your favorite plant/s, is well maintained or just cheers you up, let us know. It could even be an entire street!

There are a lot of gardens I like on Copleston Road, the one past the church on the corner of Danby Street makes me smile:))

The other weekend a group of 4 people stopped to stare down into our front garden (I was about 20m away up the road at the time) and they stood there for a minute laughing then walked off and I have no idea why since it's quite plain. Just thought I'd share.

Front gardens are great though, they really do cheer me up.

My front garden is very tiny and paved. It just about accommodates my big green wheelie bin, big brown wheelie bin, blue recycling bag and dark blue recycling box. Very crowded and not very attractive. How do other people manage?

Unintentional wildflower meadow (where lawn should be), beautiful hawthorn tree, corner dedicated to (intentional) wildflower meadow (poppies, oxeye daises, cornflowers etc.), and a croscosmia corner. Plus the usual crap: car, brown and green wheelies, and 3 blue recycling boxes.

I do a lot of walking around East Dulwich and love looking at the gardens. There are nice ones pretty much everywhere. There's a great one on Dunstan's Road with a brick built motorcycle garage and some huge ceramic demijohns.

Brendan; behave.

I have seen your front garden Ladymuck and would never in a million years recognise it from the description you have made.

I seem to remember expressing the view when I first saw it, resembling a piece of "set-a-side" those pieces of land that farmers got grants for, for not cultivating them.

Unintentional wildflower meadow is called 'guilding the lily' for a piece of ground neglected since the builders packed up and left the site in the nineties.

Car and wheely bins are a positive advantage in that they obscure this scene of general dereliction.

I think you might make a good living in real estate with such a Shakespearian turn of phrase, thus lightening the burden from the broad shoulders of your capable, though long suffering spouse.

SteveT Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I have seen your front garden Ladymuck and would

> never in a million years recognise it from the

> description you have made.

> I seem to remember expressing the view when I

> first saw it, resembling a piece of "set-a-side"

> those pieces of land that farmers got grants for,

> for not cultivating them.

> Unintentional wildflower meadow is called

> 'guilding the lily' for a piece of ground

> neglected since the builders packed up and left

> the site in the nineties.

> Car and wheely bins are a positive advantage in

> that they obscure this scene of general

> dereliction.

> I think you might make a good living in real

> estate with such a Shakespearian turn of phrase,

> thus lightening the burden from the broad

> shoulders of your capable, though long suffering

> spouse.

*plots revenge*

kwi Wrote:

> I thought I'd start a thread appreciating some of

> the front gardens I have admired in ED on my

> journeys. Whether it has your favorite plant/s, is

> well maintained or just cheers you up, let us

> know. It could even be an entire street!

>

> There are a lot of gardens I like on Copeland

> Road, the one past the church on the corner of

> Danby Street makes me smile:))

Think you mean Coplestone Road. There are some pretty gardens in Oglander Road that have had some lovely ceanothus (sp?) blooming.

My...patch of...ahem...lawn is organic and wildlife friendly complete with weeds wild flowers and abundant insect life which in turn supply a fundamental life-support system for birds and other creatures.

*"Weedol" indeed, the cheeky monkey*

Or did you accidentally trip and spill the contents of an open container of Tumbleweed across the er delicate wildflower meadow?

I guess I'm gonna have to reappraise some of your posts Ladym when unintentional wildflower meadows spring so readily to your lips.

I reckon you could sell igloos to Hottentots:))

One guy I know of was such a good salesman he could sell sh!t, so thats what he did, he created the burger king chain.

???? Wrote:

> Is this a euphemism?

It is of course Quids.

Why as we speak the thread just three below is offering 'petanque' this Saturday.

Must we fling this filth at our Loungers?

Will no one think of the children, for pity's sake?

citizenED Wrote:

> Brendan; behave.

It?s the gods honest truth in fact. I wasn?t even talking about my euphemism. Although alas my front garden is no longer in ED so it doesn't qualify.

As for the filth trotted out by everyone else on this thread.

To the OP - the house with the massive cacti in the front garden on Dunstan's Road (Forest Hill Road end). They build a sort of greenhouse around them in winter and it's a bit of a personal sign of spring when it all comes down and the cacti are released into the open...