feeling guilty....

oh dear mummy over did it with the vest today and little one has broken out in a heat rash ....yes mummy is feeling guilty tonight:-$. she has had a cool bath tonight and is in loose cotton PJ's (no vest!) and a 1 tog gro bag. what are the other east dulwich babies wearing on this muggy night? and can anyone suggest a remedy for this heat rash? ta x

Mine is in just a body suit - long arms, no legs. No sleeping bag or blanket. I'll cover her up when we go to bed later as it will have cooled down by then.

Edited to add - don't feel guilty! In my experience, they bother about things a lot less than we expect them too. I'm sure she's not too uncomfortable

mine is in long sleeved/legged p-js and a light blanket. don't worry - think she'll def let you know if too hot. I usually take a beaker up to bed when I go on hot nights so that if my little boy wakes in the night I can pop in and give him a few sips. That should help with the heat rash too.

Mine is in a shortsleeved vest and scratch sleeves - so arms covered. Like damzel, will add light blanket later on when it's cooler - currently 26 degrees in his room - poor mite. We have a fan going too!

3 yo in short-sleeve T shirt, light PJ bottoms and sheet sleeping bag - these last the best summer-sleeping discovery ever.

Hope the heat rash dies away soon, your Grace - I'm sure little Lady Dulwich will be fine in no time.

Fans are a good idea if the buzzing doesn't disturb your child. Or you could try putting it on for the hour before bedtime to cool down the room.

Also, if it's hot but noisy outside we sometimes leave the window shut but once Moosling is asleep open his bedroom door, so he gets the benefit of circulation within the house. Seems to help quite a lot.

My son's room normally gets up to 26 degrees on hot days but since I've been keeping his blackout blind up permanently it hasn't gone above 21 degrees today. It's definitely made it easier to know how many clothes to put him in for bed. The blind is totally brilliant, I would recommend it anyway for its blackout properties but since it's been keeping things nice and cool I'm feeling really quite evangelical about it:

http://www.easyblindsonline.co.uk/10.html

my 8m old is in a 30 degree room says therm (windows have been open ALL day so i can't actually believe how hot it is up there) - currently in nappy and 1 tog gro bag and with windows and door open - think will close window when we go to bed but keep door open

2 1/2 yr old in shorts and tshirt and under a duvet cover but no duvet (ie i took the duvet out) no idea about temp of his room

all i know is i'm still in shorts and tshirt and am hot -

i'm sure i don't worry this much on holiday but then again i'm sure i have fans and air cons on hols!!!

another thing i think is warmth makes kids sleep better - lets all hope for a good nights sleep

Luckily my children's rooms are north facing so stay cool during the day. My youngest is sleeping in a summer gym jam set (tank top/shorts) and a 1/2 tog grow bag. If it gets really warm I usually place an oscillating fan in the rooms and open the curtains so the air can come in.

God, I feel like we're under-dressing our son! We're still half co-sleeping (if he wakes up at 4/5am instead of going through, I just take him into our bed) and he's just been in a nappy! Yesterday in his cot he was in a nappy with a cotton muslin type thing over him as a blanket, but our room heats up in the day and was 28 degrees last night! (Same story with our living room, yesterday I put down his 'splash mat' for his high chair and let him crawl around without anything on. No accidents thankfully, save a bit of wee but oh well) (he's 6 months old btw)

Don't worry Ruth - little c's in a nappy too, has been for most of the day and was last night (well for most of it). I'm more worried about the killer mozzies that seem to be everywhere rather than the temperature right now.

I've welts on my arm from them - they better not get near the little ones or I'll nuke them !! Grrrrr.

My LO just sleeps in a t-shirt and cellular blanket. Her room is very warm, between 22-25 C. So far we've avoided heat rash. But if your baby does suffer with heat rash, the best treatment is to keep the skin cool and dry... although in this weather that's difficult. Ointments and creams can trap moisture in the skin and make heat rash worse for some babies. Try keeping skin dry with a medicated baby powder that does NOT contain talc, as this mineral can irritate already damaged skin.