Football Focus

Jah Lush

DaveR - logically you're right but I just get an internal 'feel' for whether someone's a real fan or not very quickly based on several different variables...eg how much they know anbout their team, how much they go, how long they supported them? why? etc...is this adult and logical? No but it's how I feel? It doesn't mean that I believe you have to be born next to the ground but that is one of the 'variables'!

I dunno, I just remember resentfully (beacuse I was missing the game) wondering through Brighton with a girlfriend on FA Cup day during the actual Sheffield Wednesday v Arsenal final and there was a bloke as bold as brass in an Arsenal shirt walking along on an afternoon stroll on the pier........plastic fan

I was brought up in Dulwich in the 60s/70s and the nearest local teams are of course Crystal Palace and Millwall. My dad's family were Palace fans.

The first game I went to aged seven back in 1965 was with an uncle and the Palace lost 4-1 at home to Wolves in a Cup game so I can't say I was that impressed. I then went to a couple of games at Millwall who were equally bad but already long before then I'd become a Spurs fan because I'd seen the greatest goalscorer of all time (Jimmy Greaves) knocking them in for England and of course he played for Spurs so that was that really. I became hooked and I've been going on a fairly regular basis since 1968.

I've been to palace about 15 times over the years and have to say they've managed to provide at least 4 of the worst football games I've ever seen, so I can't say as I blame you there Jah.

I still enjoy going though, supporting smaller clubs and the local community (in the monetary rather than footballing sense).

5 or six generations of West Ham born in Hackney/Bow 12 minutes to Upton Park. Season ticket holder in chicken run for many years. Now too poor to see every week although I do try. I think it does depend on who older brother/Dad/Uncle supports as its usually them that take you to first game and then you are hooked or maybe not if yr Sheffield Utd fan.

Being local I should also try to get down to see Dulwich Hamlet again soon. I've been meaning to go for quite a while now as I haven't been to see them since the 60s when they shared the ground with Corinthian Casuals and they lost four-nil at home to Sutton United.

I think he gets a bit of a bad reputation for hoof-ball.

Not many managers who have Ivan Campo, Youri Djorkaeff and Jay-Jay Okocha in their team can be accused of unattractive football. It wasn't always pretty against the big teams or away from home but the fella got results and kept Bolton in the Premier League far longer than was reasonable on limited resources.

His time at Newcastle, I think history will show, was an aberration. Good luck to him.

I don't think the style of play is the problem with Big Sam - it was more Bolton were bad sportsmen. The well rehearsed illegal set pieces such as using the elbow on the centre half or goalkeeper, whilst at other end when boot is on other foot feigning injury when they missed out on a fair tackle. The targetting by Bolton players of one opposition player. Clock Management was another favourite, I remember watching Gary Speed about to pick himself up off the pitch during injury time of one televised game then the camera flashing to Big Sam screaming for him to stay down. Then there were those special jump machines in the tunnel the likes of Davies would be springing up and down on so they could leap higher in the air at throw-ins.

I know each team can play football the way they wish and I thought Bolton, at times, played some good football with likes of players you mentioned plus Anelka and Spit Dog, but it was the spirit in which they often approached games under Big Sam that gnaws at the soul of football.

Our only hope is that he still refuses to speak to MOTD on a Saturday night, so he doesn't turn the air sour with his flannel, bitter excuses and ego.

Rhinestone my mum's family was Mile End...and then we moved to Essex when I was a toddler... my nan was still sulking before she died in 1983 that her dad didn't let her go to the 1923 Cup Final with him and her brothers..... still she had revenge a few years later by marrying someone from Bermondsey. I first went in 1971 (2-1 to us vs Man U with Moore, Hurst, Charlton and Best all on the pitch, imagine that) I had a season ticket until 2 years ago...but kids etc

However, my dad supported Arsenal but he was from 'elsewhere' so it didn't really matter.... even when he took me to the 1971 final I was an Iron!

I will go to Dulwich, and I keep threatening about Selhurst Park. I guess I should be a West Ham fan, but I didn't get into football until primary school. We were good then! But I've stuck with them since, and glory hunter is not a term that often gets used to describe Spurs fans!

I was born in a hospital within sight of the Bernabeu, so I probably have more right than most to wear Real colours, but it was my brother who got me into football and when we first moved to England my brother was taken to Upton Park on someone's b'day party and he fell in love with it; I inherited that curse aged 4.

Plus Real are one of those arrogant wealthy clubs you just instinctively hate, I always smile if Atl?tico get one over on them(not very often) but not Barcelona you understand...oooh deary me no!!

meanwhile, a timeline:

BIG SAM (BS): A TIMELINE

666,000 BC: His preferred brand of football is all the rage.

1954 AD: His weight at birth. Sorry, his year of birth.

1999: Colin Todd resigns as Bolton manager with the club 21st in whatever the Championship was called back then. Caretaker boss Phil Brown guides the Trotters into the play-offs before BS is given the full-time job and all the credit.

2000: BS celebrates making his 1,000th signing since arriving at whatever the Reebok was called back then.

2002: BS celebrates making his 1,000,000th signing since arriving at the Reebok. Somewhere amid all the Emmanuel Morinis and Jurgen Sommers are a couple of ageing bargains. Bolton win nothing.

2003: Bolton win nothing.

2004: Greece win the European Championship, Millwall get to the FA Cup final and Second-Choice Steve's Boro lift the Fizzy Beer Cup. Bolton win nothing.

2005: BS invents dinky little microphone thing for discreetly communicating with distant colleagues but still shouts himself hoarse every day. Bolton win nothing.

2006: BS expresses his pride as Bolton make the last 32 of Eurovase. Second-Choice Steve reaches the final.

2007: BS stomps out of Lancashire in search of "silverware".

2007-8: BS arrives in Newcastle and quickly showcases his efficient team-building by deploying Alan Smith as a silky playmaker and Claudio Cacapa as the Brazilian Titus Bramble. No sign of silverware. Does, however, get a golden handshake.

Later in 2008: Blackeye Rovers decline BS's job application, preferring to entrust their club's fortunes to a total novice.

Today: "Blackeye Rovers are delighted to announce the appointment of BS as manager with immediate effect. BS has signed a three-year-contract."

Soon: Blackeye Rovers challenge Charlton, Southampton and Nottingham Forest for a place in League Two.

Made me laugh someone writing a post about how boring it is to talk about how real a supporter you are, only to then write about how real the support of a whole area.

The family histories are getting a bit vizesque too...

Following in the footsteps of my great grandad who invented Everton FC, I was born actually on the Gladys Street End, during a dull second half against Man City. Stranded as a baby I was raised by a family of training footballs, or "casies" as they were known then, and as such I have travelled to every home and away match in the Everton kitbag since 1923.

Every single family member including second cousins has played for Everton and my real father is Dixie Dean.

I however support Liverpool.

OMG - the independent FA regulatory commission who investigated the Evra-Racism-Pitchfolk attack at Chelsea last season have released the following findings of that pantomine session. In essense they've accused the United witnesses of being unreliable and at same time accusing Gary Neville of behaving in an 'abusive and provocative manner'.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1097017/We-dont-believe-FAs-damning-verdict-Evra-United-Battle-Bridge.html

LOLOLOLOLOL - "The commission also dismissed a claim by United coaching staff that a Chelsea groundsman had threatened to 'shove' his '******* fork up' Evra's 'arse'."