Christmas

Lynne

Robert Poste's Child Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Does anyone really like mince pies?

I absolutely love them, and scoff them by the box-load whenever I can.

Christmas pudding... I like it, but is sooo heavy... I can understand why it's not for everyone. I think every foreigner who has ever witnessed a British Christmas has been utterly horrified by our traditional Christmas dessert.

The Florence in Herne Hill had a decorated tree up next to the sign 'book now for Christmas'.

As to Christmas food, a couple of years ago I used leftovers from homemade mince pies to make a Christmas pudding. Letting it age for an entire year. The recipe said to add brandy occasionally, but it didn't specify how much to use. By Christmas time it was very, very soggy...

Just be me and my old dear this year. She lives in Cumbria and this year, rather than faffing about for just two of us, we're going to our favourite sunday lunch pub for Christmas Day. I've already chosen what i'm having! Christmas dinner is always the highlight of my year :)

The pub

http://www.whitehart-lakedistrict.co.uk/

The Christmas menu

http://www.whitehart-lakedistrict.co.uk/christmasday.htm

Rob tolfts Wrote:

> As to Christmas food, a couple of years ago I used

> leftovers from homemade mince pies to make a

> Christmas pudding. Letting it age for an entire

> year. The recipe said to add brandy occasionally,

> but it didn't specify how much to use. By

> Christmas time it was very, very soggy...

I'm actually retching.

Seabag Wrote:

> I know it's wrong, but I do love flaky pastry mince pies

>

> And custard

Otta introduced me to the McDonald's "Festive Pie". It's the same bubbly batter-like pastry the apple pie comes in, but with mincemeat and custard filling. It's quite something.

titch juicy Wrote:

> Just be me and my old dear this year. She lives in

> Cumbria and this year, rather than faffing about

> for just two of us, we're going to our favourite

> sunday lunch pub for Christmas Day. I've already

> chosen what i'm having! Christmas dinner is

> always the highlight of my year :)

>

> The pub

>

> http://www.whitehart-lakedistrict.co.uk/

>

> The Christmas menu

>

> http://www.whitehart-lakedistrict.co.uk/christmasd

> ay.htm

ha! you think you so clever don't you, eating in the Lake District away from us all, what you do not know is that we have a coach booked and we are all coming !!!! hope you were not hoping for a quiet Christmas TJ !! see you late on 24th !!

Elphinstone's Army Wrote:

> titch juicy Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Just be me and my old dear this year. She lives

> in

> > Cumbria and this year, rather than faffing

> about

> > for just two of us, we're going to our

> favourite

> > sunday lunch pub for Christmas Day. I've

> already

> > chosen what i'm having! Christmas dinner is

> > always the highlight of my year :)

> >

> > The pub

> >

> > http://www.whitehart-lakedistrict.co.uk/

> >

> > The Christmas menu

> >

> >

> http://www.whitehart-lakedistrict.co.uk/christmasd

>

> > ay.htm

>

>

> ha! you think you so clever don't you, eating in

> the Lake District away from us all, what you do

> not know is that we have a coach booked and we are

> all coming !!!! hope you were not hoping for a

> quiet Christmas TJ !! see you late on 24th !!

I have secret back up plans- you'll never find me!

I am no exception from the people whose favourite time of the year is Christmas - not only a feast for my stomach but my soul too. It's just so cosy and warm at home then.

Don't mind to have an early Christmassy kitchen redolent with the smell of homemade desserts.

Can't wait for December!

Louisa Wrote:

> Christmas? Are to kidding me? Couldn't you wait

> until October before reminding us all of this

> expensive, cold, depressing time of year? Feeling

> rather down now!

>

> Louisa.

Cheer yourself Lou with a trip to M&S to buy some of their Christmas goodies. There's a good selection on sale at the Lordship Lane branch.

• 3 weeks later...

If you would like a warm glow this Christmas, consider buying cards and presents from Highshore School:

Handmade@Highshore is the enterprise venture by Highshore School?s 6th form pupils.

We make vintage inspired jewellery and accessories from recycled and handmade materials

Seasonal cards and decorations

We also accept commissions and custom orders and are available to sell at your venue or event

Find them on twitter or at their stall at Bermondsey Market.

Wow

Just been dazzled by channel 74 on freeview

It's called true Christmas and its dedicated to... Christmas themed films

It's scary, although it's saving grace is that from 1am till the early hours they show the waltons and little house on the prairie (gawd Nellie Olson was a dream queen lol )

Never realised there were so many (rubbish) Christmas films