Blankets over the pram...new craze?

Apologies if I offend by this post but I have noticed that lots and lots of mums are draping BLANKETS over their babies prams and car seats to keep the sun out. Blankets keep the heat in, and with a blanket over their car seat/prams, it is stopping the air from circulating in the pram and trapping the heat ( bury your head under your blanket and duvet in bed and you will see what I mean) a muslin, very thin cotton cover, breastfeeding cover or even a shade a babe/sun shield cover for their buggy/pram would be more effective and safe whilst allowing air in to circulate and ensuring the baby is comfortable.

I feel the same about blankets over a baby head when breastfeeding.

It just has been bugging me when I have been out and about in the baking heat and seeing blankets over the pram.

I've been thinking the same thing when I see these little babies on the bus, crying and crying, and they are wrapped up in baby grows, socks etc. in this heat! Why do mums want to keep their babies so warm? It takes all my strength not to tell the mother that their baby is probably crying because it's overheating, but know it wouldn't be appreciated so I keep mouth shut.

I have an ongoing battle with families in ED who completely over dress their children - seems the one layer more than yourself advice just doesn't get through to some!

Is even worse if children have complained of feeling cold (normally due to a fever) parent's often just assume the child is cold and bung on 3 t-shirts, 2 jumpers and a coat - only to be amazed when I guess straight away the opposite is true (and then bug me about letting them put the extra layers back on as the paracetamol doesn't work within 2 mins so the child still feels cold - grrr!

Damzel, there was a baby who was very young, I guess about 3 months or so at Goodrich, crying and crying, it was the hottest day of the year at the time and she had on trousers, socks, shoes etc! My mum said outloud " Some people need to realise it is HOT!!" I don't think she got it though!

Buggie, I have a friend who is Turkish, and she had her baby's moses basket against the radiator, wrapped in hat, vest, bodysuit, blanket etc!! I had to tell her how dangerous that was but she said that her in country they wrap the baby up very warmly, I didn't want to tell her that is probably one of the reasons why Turkey has a high rate of infant fatality!

Ryedalema, sorry to hear about your baby's rash, this weather is not good if you have a sore botty. My son is teething too, I have had to change his nappies from huggies/pampers to Moltex ( the chemicals in them were giving him a red bum) I used metanium (sp?) to clear his bum and then bepanthen everyday to keep it at bay as it is safe to use very single day and since then we have had no sore bums ( touch wood) hope your baby's teething pains and bottom clears soon x

Muslin squares all the way!! My mum bought me a parasol, but every time u change direction you have to move it! Pain in the butt, so muslin square are much better!! With cute colored pegs in dark and light green to match my pram!! :-)

Agree with you all about the blanket thing, but since my baby (then 3 months) got sunburned through a thin muslin cloth, I have been using something slightly thicker - but still fairly light and cotton, definitely not a blanket. It's a hard line getting the temperature right for baby without increasing the risk of sunburn...

shade a babe I think quite expensive? I got this brill shade from Amazon - it's been great

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Koo-Di-Pack-Stroller-Sleep-Shade/dp/B002JIGTU6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby&qid=1279058198&sr=8-1

fits my buggy which isn't a three wheeler - apparently fits both...

used to use muslin with clothes pegs but littlebob's in a buggy at the moment....waiting to get a P&T's

Parasols are definitely annoying, but my tot won't put up with a muslin covering his face anymore - he wants to see what's going on! Have found that I can get the parasol to cover up the top half quite well, then I can just tuck a muslin on over his legs. Didn't realise that he could get sunburned through the muslin though marscapone - so thanks for that. On really hot and sunny days I've been putting suncream on him as well, so hopefully between the cream and the muslin it's OK.

-A

Parasols are useless I have found, and I spent a fortune on my special UV maclaren parasol. The shade a babe for me was ideal, it keeps the bugs away, it blocks the UV rays, my son can still see out, and does not need to squint against the glare of the sun and it is cooler under the shade a babe for him ( whilst allowing air to circulate unlike a blanket!).

My buggy has an in-built shade (in the style of shade a babe) which is really useful. On holiday recently, I used an actual shade-a-babe with a maclaren which was brilliant, as don't have to worry about changing parasol with direction, plus it's darker for naps and makes me feel that they're extra safe!

One guy walked past us and muttered, 'That baby must be roasting in there' - hmmm, let's see. I could either leave my baby to burn in the heat like all the babies in that country were doing, or I could place a UV protective net over them - surely the rays bounce off and don't soak in? After all, it is a mesh, so keeps the air flowing!