Best burger in Dulwich

bald marauder

Just got back from The Rosendale (in West Dulwich) which was reviewed in Time Out this week, and given a good rating for their burgers. Well, we may have been unlucky and arrived on an 'off' day, but even accepting that they have only been open for 5 weeks since their makeover, we were very disappointed.

The burgers were OK but a bit dry, and not as rich in flavour as the review in TO led us to believe. Also we asked for one rare and one medium, and they both came back a little overdone. Chips were OK, but likewise, nothing amazing.

So, where does one find the best burger in Dulwich? Our vote currently goes to The Herne, whose burgers are moist and tender and full of real, quality, meaty flavour - accompanied by gorgeous, 'home-made' chips. With lashings of ketchup and mayo to boot.

Gourmet Burger King seems to us to be awful, over-priced, mass-produced 'concept food'.

But we're always open to trying new places - any suggestions?

BM

The best burgers in the known universe are my 'minted lamb burgers'

Buy some good quality minced lamb.

Stick it in a mixing bowl.

Add a load of black pepper and sea salt.

Add as much fresh mint as you can fit in.

Chuck in an egg to bind it all.

Cook as you like.

5 mins rare

7 mins medium

10 mins wd

Ding dong.

FYI - It is illegal for a burger establishment to sell burgers cooked anything other than well done. As the contents of the burger meat are seen as more prone to disease then if it was a whole cut of meat it must be fully cooked.

An establishment shouldn't be telling you "sure, one medium and one medium rare" when they know they have to cook it well done.

timtim Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The best burger in ED, IMHO, is that served in The

> Bishop. But I'm currently in LA, so enjoying the

> far better burger at "In & Out" ;)

totally agree The Bishop have the best burgers and fab homemade chips

Calm down children.

I would personally say that there's more to a good burger that fried meat in a bun. i.e. qualilty of meat, seasoning, sauce(s), salad, quality of bread. But at the end of the day, pub grub is what it is.

I would also say that there's nothing intrinsically wrong with rose wine (although it wouldn't be my first choice).

Nando?s chicken burgers are the best burger you will ever have. Hands down. IMHO (no one specified beef or ham did they)

There is a Nandos in Camberwell.

Best enjoyed on a sunny afternoon and washed down with a bottle of chilled rose.

Off topic here but who was it that instilled the notion of rose=bad/cheap plonk into the British consciousness? Anyone from a wine producing country will tell you that some of the most enjoyable and drinkable wines are roses.

I don't mind the odd ros? (ctrl+alt e) though i've yet to find one that truly excites.

In the right circumstances, like in a nice piazza in Verona, they really do hit the spot.

G&B do one that is almost orange in hue and has quite a citrussy flavour that's a cut above your usual duff blush styles out there.

For something different ask in G&B (or any good wine merchant) for some reds that are great drunk chilled. Concept is a bit weird at first, but they're more common than you'd think. In fact we tend to drink red wines too warm in this country, and tbh we tend to drink whites too cold.

err... burgers, or summink