Vietnamese caf?

bald marauder

A new thread, about forthcoming local amenities, but rather than start with another 'fresh new gossip' type header, I've decided to dedicate this one to Keef, to compensate for the sausage/numpty incident in the lounge.

Anyway, to the point, here goes:

1. A new 'shabby chic' foodie pub will be opening on Choumert road fairly soon, run by the people behind the Royal Oak in Clapham. (Yes, I know it's C*****m, but their other places actually look pretty good.)

2. A new organic/Fairtrade deli (mybayberry.co.uk) will soon be opening on Bellenden Road, open until 7pm to make it easier for people to pop in on their way home.

3. More long-term there has been speculation about a Vietnamese Cafe opening up on Bellenden Road also.

Finally the Bellenden Road area is kicking into life...

BM

I am thrilled at these developments... rather less exciting is a locksmith opening on the building which has the beautiful mosaic on the corner opposite Fenton Walsh - I peeped in the window and saw walls and walls of keys - still, if they do shoe repairs it might be handy.

Very excited about the Vietnamese - and the pub as well (I looked at some reviews of their Clapham place - venison sausages and mash, mmmmmm.)

I hope Lucius and Richards survive too - they are such lovely people and I think they offer the best fry up around.

I lived in Clapham before I moved back to my ED last year and i can say hand on heart that the Royal Oak was not only the best pub in the area but it did the best food. Hope they can recreate the magic here!

p.s. If anyone from Bar Local reads this, dont worry I love you too :)-D

Quaywe Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Bah who cares?! Choumert Rd, Bellenden....it's all

> across the ditch in Peckham.

Why knock Peckham so much? Agreed some parts of it are a little bit rough, but the Bellenden Area is very nice indeed!

be careful, some areas of SE22 are classed as Peckham Rye ... so the ditch (as you put it) is a lot closer to home then you think

I Love Peckham (It's my job after all) and as was recently quoted at a meeting, if you want shops / establishments that sell what you want then you need to shop in Peckham to show the owners and potential new businesses that the demographics will support their business venture to sell the goods you want.. or to put it simply they sell to whoever shops in Peckham, and if you don't shop there they won't sell what you want... a matter of Market force at it's simplist level.

Steady on Quaywe,

A recent thread on the forum suggested that the area where SE22 meets SE15 and SE5 (which would include the Bellenden area) is the best part of our local community to live in.

And coming from someone who I assume has traveled here across the globe, I find your 'across the ditch' attitude a little surprising for somewhere that's only 5 minutes from the bottom of Lordship lane.

fffffzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....!

That's the sound of me throwing a "wind up" line out to see who takes the bait. Today's winners: Android17, LuvPeckham and Baldy! Hook line and sinker! EDKiwi strikes again. ;-)

Regards

EDKiwi

PS - I actually like going to the Bellenden Rd area a lot, even if it means having to leave ED.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm an ex Bellenden resident that crossed the ditch to ED. It's a nice spot but in the five years I was there I came across a lot of unpleasantness. I enjoyed my time there but the stabbings, murders, geezers, roughnecks, fights and police sirens weren't quite redeemed by Lucius & Richards, Ganapati and Fenton Walsh. Actually I really dislike Ganapati, and the restaurant opposite the Wishing Well.

Loved it. Wouldn't go back.

Charlie