Does Lordship Lane and East Dulwich have all the businesses for everyone

Yes, Merrifields on the way to the station is an excellent cobbler.

And the dry cleaners by the post office also mends shoes, albeit not so well as Merrifields.

Merrifields also make bespoke shoes.

Elodie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> would love to see a music store on LL and also a

> boots....

xxxxxxxx

But if Boots opened, then not only would Lordship Lane start to resemble every other high street in the country (with Cafe Nero and White Stuff being the thin end of the wedge), but all the other pharmacists in ED would probably close.

Personally I think that would detract from the individual feel of the area.

And assuming you mean a shop selling vinyl, CDs etc rather than sheet music (there is already a music shop, on the way to the station), I can't imagine it would be able to make a profit when more and more people are buying their music via downloads.

I know the Dream Machine was somewhat limited in its stock, but if more people had bought things from there then maybe we would still have a music shop in ED because it would have had money to buy a more extensive range of stuff.

beautyofthebeholder Wrote:

> burger king,mc donalds, decent cloths shops for

> men, cheaper mainsteam gift shops that sell odds

> and sods.....

>

> dont see any nice chinees's, mexicans

> itallians.....

>

> electrical stores.......

>

> somuc,u pretty much have to go to the city for

> anything...... argos, index etc

Strange list of requests. Rye Lane has a lot of the above so see no need for same thing on LL. There are a few Italians in ED, Local and Si Mangia plus some in Honor Oak.

Could do with a good Italian trattoria, something nice and homey with huge traditional plates of pasta and a serviceable bar. I have to travel quite a way to find a good one. Only good/local Italian places I know of are Luigi's, which is down in Gypsy Hill (and not exactly low-key), and Il Mirto, which is nice for a casual bite or quick dinner but has no bar/licence and not so comfy for a proper, dim-lit evening meal.

I would quite like a Superdrug. The various chemists are okay but no use for an emergency make-up fix!

• 2 weeks later...
A really good Indian vegetarian canteen/restaurant-there are so mant Indian restaurants & non terribly good. There are so many customers who buy health, organic & veggy food in the area I think this would be real popular...also it would be nice to see it designed India style rather than looking like every other cafe does on L'ship Lane..

karter Wrote:

> cate, an Italian restaurant actually on LL would

> be great though. One of the Indian restuarants had

> an offer from an Italian independent but they

> declined it. Beats me. lordship lane brick

> lane.:-S

Karter - it has to be on Lordship Lane or what? It's no good to you. Too far to walk?

I mean, none of them is Michelin star, but we have Italian restaurants.

Si Mangia on Forest Hill Rd

Il Mirto on Melbourne Gr

Casa Smerelda on the way to Nunhead

Locale on East Dulwich Road

What used to be Peckham Experiment is going to be an Italian pizzeria

The Gowlett do great pizzas

Il Giardino opposite Peckham Rye station

Now all of those are within walking distance from anywhere in ED....what gives with the constant calls for more bloody Italian restaurants?

Peckhamgatecrasher Wrote:

> If you want a nail bar, I suggest you saunter down

> Rye Lane.

xxxxxxxxx

There's also a nail bar just before East Dulwich Station (coming from Goose Green).

:))

Google it, it's a record shop, honestly :))

Rough Trade

ETA: It's right next to the Big Chill Bar in Dray Walk off Brick Lane. It has a good folk section, too :)-D

ETA: PRESS RELEASE

At a time when record stores are disappearing faster than the polar bear population, Rough Trade sticks two fingers up at climate change with the opening of the UK?s largest record shop.

As ever, we?re here to champion the fledgling artist as much as those already established, so even if you haven?t got a distribution deal, we want to sell your record? we? might even let you perform in-store on our Peavey equipped live stage.

There?s even a ?snug? area with free wireless internet connection for all you hot desk jockeys, for a more creative workspace. It will also be the focus of a programme of regular shop events which you can get involved in, watch this space, there is some pretty awesome stuff coming up! Plus the surrounding walls provide a dedicated gallery space for music inspired exhibitions by talented customers seeking that first moment of recognition.

To celebrate the opening of Rough Trade East, we?re busy putting together a month-long calendar of special in-store events. With a typical enthusiasm for the old and new, expect a carefully selected handful of top-secret artist performances.

Whether you're an new band looking for a shot at playing in-store alongside some of the biggest bands in the world, an avid record collector, or just an information buff who needs to know exactly what's going on before everyone else... this is the place to be!

missus Wrote:

> 1) Somewhere that sells good make-up! Like a Space

> NK.... yay!

> 2) A decent chinese restaurant (Mr.Liu's is

> alright but it's not all that and the decor is

> really grim).

> 3) A Sushi place!!

> 4) Somewhere that sells nice underwear...

>

> ...Generally less silly gift shops and less Indian

> restaurants would make for a better ED!

Missus I agree wholeheartedly.. And would add

a) a good shoe shop, NOT a crappy chain (Dolcis...urrrrrghhh) but one that sells a good selection from the brands like Office/Poste Mistress/ and maybe some like Kurt Geiger/Carvela etc

b) a good sports shop, as others have said - the triathlon shop folk are nice but the selection isn't exactly massive.

c) did I mention Space NK ??? :-)

Ridgley Wrote:

> Needs more high street shops

No.

No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.

The delight of LL is the lack of high street names. Very much a rarity in a decent-sized shopping street these days.