Does Lordship Lane and East Dulwich have all the businesses for everyone

as a geek, avid movie lover and music lover, I'd like a decent record / DVD / computer shop.

and while I'd like to think I could single-handedly provide enough custom for them to make it financially viable.. somehow I think my Mrs might have something to say about that :)

mind you , that said I wouldn't want the likes of an HMV or PC world in ED :) (especially when PC world is only a short bus ride away)

I know with Amazon et al, you don't NEED a shop per se. But I'm old fashioned, I like rummaging. Amazon & co online shops are fine if you know exactly what you want, but I like going for a browse, finding some obscure 60's prog rock cd or some Norwegian film noir flick in the DVD bargain bucket ;)

Loz Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Ridgley Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Needs more high street shops

>

> No.

>

> No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.

>

> The delight of LL is the lack of high street

> names. Very much a rarity in a decent-sized

> shopping street these days.

I agree..... Lordship Lane is blessed with few of the bland homogenous chains which are everywhere else. There is a thread in the Lounge about Cafe Piaf & people complaining that could be taken over by a restuarant chain instead of an interesting independant..... lets keep it local & celebrate the diversity that offers. If you want cheap clothes there is a TK Max in Clapham & Bromley also has Primark! Lordship Lane has shops which are the envy of London - ED Deli, William Rose..... hurrah!

"Lordship Lane has shops which are the envy of London - ED Deli, William Rose..... hurrah!"

....Hurrah until you realise that you've paid 6 quid for a miniature pot of sun dried tomatoes or ?20 for a decent bit of sirloin.....

Hmmm...I just had a bad experience once in WR with them selling me a prime bit of steak for 2 people (what I asked for) for ?20. My fault I suppose for not realising the cock up but, to be honest, I don't really buy into all the hype about William Rose being that great anyway! Having tasted this prime, and definitely expensive, steak I can only say that it was nice but certainly wasn't the best steak I've ever eaten...

And RosieH... Whilst delicious, pulses really aren't great substitution if you had steak on the brain!! :)

I can recommend their mending service - first class.

I've never been able to afford a pair of bespoke shoes there (although they'll be a darn sight cheaper than any of the St James lot) but the guy who runs it knows his onions. I had a long conversation on the merits of blakeys.

I'm also available for fascinating conversations at parties on subjects such as neo-endogenous growth theory and fighter aircraft of WWI.

Yes, his mending is first rate - even when I've thought things were beyond repair he's fixed them. Sometimes with a bit of a lecture about looking after my shoes properly, but that's no bad thing.

I'm saving up for him to make me some boots - I bet they'd be dreamy.

And Missus, quite so. Think that's why they always insist on giving you a receipt now. I do rate William Rose's meat - for sure I've sometimes had better, but it trounces anything you can get from a supermarket, and I'm not really sure where else I'd get it (always found Sparkes more expensive).

RosieH Wrote:

> Yes, his mending is first rate - even when I've

> thought things were beyond repair he's fixed them.

> Sometimes with a bit of a lecture about looking

> after my shoes properly, but that's no bad thing.

>

xxxxx

Yeh I agree, though I blenched a bit when he gave me a bit of cardboard with ?10 written on it for heeling a pair of shoes last week :-S

Not sure I couldn't have replaced the shoes for not much more :-$

cate Wrote:

> For cheap clothes, there's a new Peacock's in

> Camberwell where Woolie's used to be.

xxxxxxx

Yeh, cheap and horrible.

I was so gutted when it was Peacock's and not Primark :-S