Area near East Dulwich train station (West)

Thanks for the crime stats James. Makes for very interesting reading. I'm going to be moving to ED from Queens Park, NW London in a few weeks. I've never once felt un-safe in Queens Park after living there for over 5 years, including walking back home late at night etc.. It's quite an affluent area with lots of families, so it always felt very safe. Looking at the stats, reported crime incidents are about double in QP vs ED, including nearly double the instances of violence against the person! I would have thought the population of the ED ward would be more than QP, so the per capita stats would probably show a wider difference.

Puts it all into perspective really! People are probably more aware of crime on this forum, because people post about it here. There is no such forum in QP that I'm aware of, so I never had any visibility of incidents.

My conculsion is therefore, eater81 = troll

Violence Against the Person is often domestic violence. So largely invisible except to those closely involved.

We've done lots in East Dulwich to reduce crime - property marking kits for stopping burglary, alertboxes to cut shop crime, those hooky things under bar/pub tables to reduce theft. We can't fund capital things to reduce domestic violence.

Any ideas very welcome.

It's fair enough if people don't agree with me, but to tell me to f##k off out of East Dulwich is a bit extreme to say the least.

1. The original poster needs to hear a balanced argument. There is too much of this 'London is great' , 'isn't East Dulwich amazing' on this forum.

2. I suspect that the vicious defensive reactions that I have been subjected to in this thread stem from the fact that the truth hurts. Here we have a bunch of people facing up to the fact that they have proably paid way over the odds for a house / flat in a pleasant but nothing special area that is surrounded by urban decay and deprivation, where there is nothing to do but eat out in restaurants and drink in pubs, there is a high chance of being mugged and daily life is made nearly impossible by a utterly useless public transport system and gridlocked roads. It is difficult to face up to ones mistakes, I have had to and am living with the consequences.

3. I am particularly concerned with Showboat, I will spare him the embarrasment of quoting the private message he has sent me, however I will say this, as a Mancunian, it is my DUTY to be 'racist' to scousers!

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If you go sub ward level you can see for many

> crime type we have low or no reported crimes.

>

> One exception to this is around Lordship Lane

> between Goose Green and Northcross Road and

> probably relates to alcohol.

I'm glad you bring that to everyone's attention. I do hope the link between alcohol and higher crime levels in that location is taken into account when the extension to the Adventure Bar's licence to 2am on Sundays is considered.

You're 'concerned' with me? Hey, quote away. I'm not ashamed of it. I just figured some things are better said privately. I stand by every word of it. And yes, I do think that you're a racist. Saying it's your duty because you're a Manc is no better than me saying stuff about you because I'm a Londoner. Where someone come from has nothing to do with anything in this regard. It's like those people who think everyone in Brixton is a crackhead, a thief, a hooker or all three. Are you one of those people?

All I can say is that you paint a picture of this area that I just don't recognise, and neither does anyone else I know who lives round this way. And to describe Peckham, Brixton and anywhere with a council estate as "urban decay and deprivation' is misinformed at best and Daily Mail-style hyperbole at worst. Brixton was dragged up out of REAL decay and deprivation in the early 90's through investement that allowed folks with money to move there and bring cash to the area. Now it's thriving. No one would confuse it with Windsor, but those who live there love it.

Finally, 'utterly useless public transport system'? Wow, you really are bitter about something aren't you? I'm no fan of either Ken or Boris, but you simply cannot argue with the fact that TFL has increased the service levels of public transport by leaps and bounds. You think it's bad? Go back ten or fifteen years - then ED really was cut off. It's a lot better now.

Look, it is not extreme to suggest that if you don't like it round here you should leave. You say you're having to live with the consequences. I'm not sure what that means (I don't know your circumstances) but unless you're in real difficulty I can't imagine it would be too hard for you to at least start making plans to move out of the area. If you don't like it round here (and you obviously really don't!) then go. Why are you staying? Is it just so you can complain on the internet about how bad it is?

It wouldn?t matter ? eater81 isn?t interested in stats

Hey wants to believe that we all go around with our fingers in our ear going ?lalalalalalaalaa ED is paradise, nothing wrong here lalalalalalalal?

When the reality is we are going around with our fingers in our ear going ?lalalalalalaalaa living in any city in the world involves a degree of awareness about crime in cities but given that ED ain?t too bad at all if only chicken-lickens like that f***wit eater81 would do one lalalalalalalal?

Imagine having him over for dinner ? you spend several hours cooking a meal and spends the whole time saying how rubbish it is, his mums food was better, people are starving in Africa, why are you being so Stepford Wife with your pretensions to cooking

Interesting reactions to showa58taro's request for local knowledge. If I were him I would try not to be put off by the pack tearing into resident Mancunian eater81 but take on board the fact that most EDrs are passionate about the area within which they live and don't take kindly to folks knocking it. Re crime, do not live in London if you are nervous about being one of those statistics. From minor to major you've got a greater chance of being affected by it here but put in perspective (thanks James Barber) you can see that ED comes in at 141/624 wards in London placing it in the best quartile for London.

So in general ED is a great place to live (if you can afford it) and the commute to London Bridge is a walk in the park when trains are running on schedule, however as our friend from The North points out it is no Garden of Eden. I agree it can be rough around the edges but it's heart's in right place. Like others on this thread have said come and see for yourself.

Man, if I was the OP for this post I woulda run a mile by now. Imagine asking fairly innocent questions about an area you're thinking of moving to and having 'your' conversation taken over by people who want to argue about statistics and point out random and sensationalist crime stories, jeez...I should think they were more interested in the vibe in general, whether it's 'on the whole' nice or not...

Anyways, I'm about to move here to after working in the area for six months and I'm very excited and can't wait to get settled in. Been living in Brixton until now - very nice, actually, pretty quiet and mellow - but ED's where I really want to be. Just seems...well, there's some saying about London just being a collection of small towns - and when you find a place like East Dulwich, I can actually see what they mean. Not that I'm any expert, of course.

Cheers!

I second that.

We were burgled on Tuesday daytime whilst at work-

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?20,523919

Whilst this has been a massive shock to us, and been quite disturbing in terms of safety in our home and the feeling that our privacy has been invaded, we are still both very positive about our move to ED.

We have been here for over 6 weeks and have loved every minute of it. We used to live in Balham and liked it their to, but the friendly people around ED, teh good transport links, the variety of bars and eateries and things to do in the area, meanthat despite what has happened to us personally we are still really happy in teh area. In fact as a knee jerk rection to the robbery we disucssed renting our place for a few months and moving soemwhere else, however we would only have consiederd moving somewhere else in ED. Obviouskly a day or two has passed and the knee jerk has subsided somewhat now that we have had time to reflect so will be staying in our place.

I guess the point is that despite being victims of crime Ed still has a lot going for it that outweigh the bad things, Its only through forums like this and people talking to each otehr and taking notice of their neighbours and their houses that crime will be reduced. Its a nice area, its always going to attract criminals, but they can be beaten.

Ed is still an amazing place to live.

rubsley Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Man, if I was the OP for this post I woulda run a

> mile by now. Imagine asking fairly innocent

> questions about an area you're thinking of moving

> to and having 'your' conversation taken over by

> people who want to argue about statistics and

> point out random and sensationalist crime stories,

> jeez...I should think they were more interested in

> the vibe in general, whether it's 'on the whole'

> nice or not...

>

>

> Ditto!

I've discussed burglaries with the Police East Dulwich Safer Neighbourhood Team. They will be making extra patrols in the triangle bounded by Grove Vale, East Dulwich Grove, Melbourne Grove. They'll also be offering door to door property marking kits to those that don't have them. But the chance of finding someone in is low so if you'd like a kit or Crime Prevention visit do contact them. [email protected]

I also think the Crime Stoppers website has lots of good advice. Well worth a 20 min peruse. http://www.crimestoppers-uk.org/crime-prevention

If you live in that area please do join the local residents group chaired by Heather Burrell. The more neighoburs you know the more liklely someone will spot anything happening to your home and generally keep an eye out for you. New residents and anonymous residents are more liklely to be the victims of crime. So do get to know your neighbours.

• 2 weeks later...

Is eater81 auditioning for Grumpy Old Men? Although with 81 in the username I suspect he is not yet 30 so perhaps there is an as-yet unknown version called Grumpy Young Men.

Intrigued to know where he would choose to live once he escapes the hell on earth that is East Dulwich?

To Sebastian the original poster, East Dulwich is a great place to live for all sorts of reasons and hopefully you'll see that for yourself if you move here.