Wet leaves - Barry Road

The problems occur when the leaves are allowed to settle and rot. Pretty lethal if you cycle around here too. So the Surrey Canal Path last night was pretty hair-raising, as was Burgess Park and that bit of cycle path at the side of New Kent Road near the Elephant. Time was leaves were cleared quickly. But this has changed, the result of budget cuts I suppose.

It's interesting the way some on here have dismissed this hazard (and from what several posters have said, it clearly is a hazard) as one which should be taken care of by residents (not sure where that leaves (ahem) long stretches alongside parks, commons etc) or which can be easily avoided with care. I wonder how happy they'd be if we get snow and the council doesn't send out any gritters, saying it's up to residents to clear their bit of road and for car drivers to take care? I think those of us who are (relatively, in my case) young and healthy need to have a little more appreciation of the fact that what seems a tiny hazard at best to us can seem a minefield for the elderly and disabled. Pedestrians pay council tax the same as everyone else and deserve a safe environment just as much as all other street users.

Oh, and the tone of some seems to imply that this is a "snowflake generation" and that people need to "man up and deal with it" as if it's some modern namby-pambyness which generations past would have dealt with with fortitude and community spirit. Generations past had street sweepers regularly clearing the pavements, and nobody thought that was because people were soft, it was just a natural part of keeping the environment safe and tidy.

"Leaf Gate"

Definitely a hazard

Southwark are as ever incompetent no road sweepers they just use a man with a blower and a truck with brushes "street cleaning workers"

All the money has gone on managers about 10 managers for every street worker all busy in meetings about what to do if we get snow in 2030 or if it's going to be sorted by global warming, and now we can see they've take their eye off the leaf problems /....

#SickSouthwark

Sue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> uncleglen Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Yes Sue. and Joni Mitchell released Big Yellow

> > Taxi in 1970.....46 years ago........

>

>

> It seems only yesterday :))

In the original version the tree museum charged a dollar and half just to see 'em, which is pretty cheap by today's standards. In the 2007 Joni Mitchell version, they charged "an arm and a leg". That's inflation for you. In 1970 we still had lsd - the currency, not the drug.

Yes- I expect the council are saving up all their money to paint the yellow lines at junctions- meanwhile pedestrians are at risk on the pavements. Then of course they will recoup their losses(?) by employing a load of traffic wombles to go around at 3am to put tickets on anyone whose bumper is hanging 1" over the line?

intexasatthe moment Wrote:

> Well,I'll ask so that others don't have to ...how

> come Barry Rd is not on the leaf removal schedule

> ? What's the criteria ( out of interest ) .

You might be better off asking the appropriate ward councillor directly. They might not see your question otherwise.

mynamehere Wrote:

> It takes one full minute? less ? 2 minutes? to

> clear the leaves in front of your house... They are

> cutting youth services ffs

^This. Seriously, I've seen plenty of council leaf clearing going on, but leaves will quickly accumulate again. Sweep up in front of your house if there are a lot of leaves, it only takes a minute.

Message to George Orwell,

You pompous prat! Sorry, no offence meant, old chap.

My wife slipped on the leaves a couple of autumns ago and injured herself; she was trying to get from A to B as carefully as possible. I am a (tax paying)pensioner, but I don't have enough time to go around the streets clearing them myself this year, to help out the council

I've just reported to Southwark the same problem again on Crystal Place Road and got a response within a couple of days. I do have faith in the council but not in the government in these times of budget cuts -'Age of Austerity'.

By the way, seen the latest figures for vital tax-payer-funded repairs to Houses of Parliament -?3.9bn, Buckingham Palace - ?369m.

Pip,Pip.

Foreign aid ?1BN per month, thrown amongst others to China and India. Madness. Not only are we now borrowing to pay the interest on the National Debt we are even borrowing to give unbounded largesse to others, much of which is to corrupt regimes. Road to bankruptcy and ruin. God help our children as the politicians won't.

apbremer Wrote:

> Foreign aid ?1BN per month, thrown amongst others

> to China and India. Madness. Not only are we now

> borrowing to pay the interest on the National Debt

> we are even borrowing to give unbounded largesse

> to others, much of which is to corrupt regimes.

> Road to bankruptcy and ruin. God help our children

> as the politicians won't.

UK no longer gives direct aid to either India or China. It's not actually them foreigners who are responsible for the leaves not being picked up. Suggest if you want to wail about something then rather wail about the ?7bn p.a. which goes to help the poorest countries in the world (many of who we were instrumental in making poor) you complain about the ?100bn+ of taxes evaded or avoided every year by the richest corporations and individuals.

When I tripped over an uneven paving stone some weeks ago and fractured my upper shoulder and when this morning I nearly tripped again because a mound of leaves was covering another uneven paving stone, foreign aid was not exactly uppermost in my mind. If you want to sound off about foreign aid, ap bremer, then start another thread elsewhere and don't hijack this thread, which has absolutely nothing to do with foreign aid.

Certainly in large part because of this thread the leaves are being attended to by the ?15,000 putt putting machine blocking rush hour traffic on Barry Rd from 8am to 9 at least this morning with what effect on leaves under cars etc.

All our social problems just accumulate like aforementioned leaves because we never do simple and we don't look for world solutions

Go outside and sweep your leaves; in the gutter as well. Pay a 10 year old to sweep your leaves

Leaves are black gold mulch. People pay real money for leaf mulch

Hi, I wanted to report that the leaves are being cleared today. Mynamehere, the leaves will be collected up, go to the Southwark recycling centre and will be composted. The leaf clearing schedule is tweaked learning from experience as to which roads need it and how frequently. It appears that due to the mild autumn that leaf fall is quite late this year, so I have also asked how responsive the system is to timing/amount of leaf fall in a particular year.

Renata