Great Gigs

Keef

Yes I too have many many fond memories of Brixton Academy but I really wouldn't go back there again unless it was a gig that I REALLY had to go to.

The start of the downturn for me was the Pixies a few years back. The gig was completely oversold and we were packed in like sardines. I have seen some top artists at Brixton (e.g. Rolling Stones, Springsteen) but you could still comfortably get to the bar, get a drink, and get back to your space. That was out of the question at the Pixies gig because we were so tighly packed in. I almost had a panic attack at that gig - I was really scared. That was the beginning of the end of my beautiful relationship with Brixton Academy. These days I prefer to go all the way across town to go to, say, Shepherds Bush Empire or the Scala at Kings Cross or Koko. The Coronet would be perfect if it was used more.

I haven't been to Indigo2 yet but I will give it a try. I saw Prince at O2 a few weeks back and we had great seats and it was a great gig. I really wouldn't want to be on one of the high tiers there though - they really are nosebleeds. O2 will attract a lot of the artists that would otherwise play Wembley. If it's a toss up between Wembley and O2 then O2 wins hands-down for easy access to South London.

i too saw prince at the o2 and think that it's a great venue, not just because there are enough toilets and food but because it's easy to get to and you just step out of the tube station to the dome. unlike wembley it was built with crowds in mind so it works for the big events.

i have hated the academy for years, it has just fallen down without ever trying to get up. town and country (can't remember what it has been renamed) i haven't been to in years and i hate earls court and both wembleys, although haven't been to the new stadium. i'm pleased o2 has opened, it may force some venues to sort out their own acts!

I saw Snow Patrol there. Agree it's a good venue and sh!ts on Wembly, but it's too big for me. I never go to gigs if I have to sit down, and the security in the standing area don't seem to think you should enjoy yourself at a gig.

• 2 months later...

Jeff Beck at Ronnie Scott's last night was just jaw droppingly good. Awesome doesn't even come close to describing it. There were so many times when my mate and I who is a pretty nifty guitar player himself were left open mouthed in awe and wonder. "How the f**k does did he do that?" Just amazing. Here's a review from Jazzwise if you're interested.

Jeff Beck at Ronnie Scott's

Must have been good to be jaw dropping...............I once enjoyed the Fureys company after a gig in a small place in Erin. They were what you call tinkers here but good guys and not bad musically. Most observations are subjective so who knows what's good. My teenage son thinks noise is good..........well I call it that.

I accidentally went through a phase of seeing very old men play, and most of them could pee from a height on the musicians of today.

Best of all was Buena Vista Social Club shortly after the first album. Seventy year old men grooving like cats, and singing about "priapic animism" for two hours. I couldn't stop smiling for a week.

Went to see Motorhead at a festival a few years back. Rolf Harris was playing to their crowd, who are actually well behaved but very drunk. someone in the crowd kept heckling, so RH asked what he wanted. He handed over a Stylophone, and asked Rolf to play it. He had a bit of a fiddle with it, said something to the band, and they started to play Moon River. The crowd joined in, and at that precise moent the sun went down behind the stage. Now that's talent...

Ultraconsultancy

"Road Rage" tour at the London Astoria, biggest mistake of my life ha! couldn't hear for 2 days afterwards, among others - Il Nino, Spineshank and Chimera played, went along to the Nighwish concert, (the one before their last gig as a group, they have now reformed with a new lead singer) but I really loved the mix of the amazing classical operatic voice of Tarja with wild heavy Rock/Metal, it really worked and I became a great fan. She has such a powerful brilliant voice she hardly needed a microphone and this was over the din of wild rock. Was impressed.

hey, I saw Buena Vista more or less about that time, felt exactly the same.

They made me want to start learn the piano now, so that I can be playing it well by the age of 70.

Ultraconsultancy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I accidentally went through a phase of seeing very

> old men play, and most of them could pee from a

> height on the musicians of today.

>

> Best of all was Buena Vista Social Club shortly

> after the first album. Seventy year old men

> grooving like cats, and singing about "priapic

> animism" for two hours. I couldn't stop smiling

> for a week.

>

> Went to see Motorhead at a festival a few years

> back. Rolf Harris was playing to their crowd, who

> are actually well behaved but very drunk. someone

> in the crowd kept heckling, so RH asked what he

> wanted. He handed over a Stylophone, and asked

> Rolf to play it. He had a bit of a fiddle with it,

> said something to the band, and they started to

> play Moon River. The crowd joined in, and at that

> precise moent the sun went down behind the stage.

> Now that's talent...

>

> Ultraconsultancy

Keef Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> Anyway, I love going to gigs, so post on here if

> there's something I should be seeing!

http://woodentopsmusic.com/idiotcity2.jpg

monday only. tuesday tickets were too slow for mr rocknroll promoter. Its going to be a stunning night. A few places left.

water rats is kings cross. I will see if i can do a thing whereby somebody says 'east dulwich forum' they get in cheaper.

yep. pimping gigs is my game.

The water rats is a fantastic gig - I only heard about the woodentops playing the other day when i was trawling for something else, and i'm double booked already when they are on. must keep a closer eye on things.

I got turfed out the scala a couple of years ago, and went round the water rat to have a beer. two quid in, i was told, some local boy playing the guitar a bit, and an ex member of utah saints on piano. thinking this a fine recommendation i stood and watched james blunt for an hour, and thought him very good, as did one of elton john's agent, who was in the two dozen strong crowd. my mate and i helped put his gear in the van, and he kept saying "i'm james, do come and see me again..." the rest is history.

Ultraconsultancy

Annasfield - I saw Glenn Tilbrook sing at the TUC Mayday Festival [and what happened to that?] on Clapham Common about ten years ago. A huge cheer went up when he did Up The Junction, obviously; and he got us to sing along to I'm a Believer just by saying "giz a hand with the chorus on this one". But I was terrified by how much he drank while performing; I think he's sober now, which is good cos he is one of Englands great songwriting poets.

Ultraconsultancy

I'm going to see the Klaxons tonight. We?ve also got tickets for some after party where Lilly Allen is DJing.

I don?t really know very much about either of them, my suspicion is that if they were any good my radar would have clocked them already.

Either that or I?m just getting old.

Keef -

Yeah, its a woman called Anette instead of Tarja leading the group now, she looks similar to her but does't do the operatic bit which did kind of make Nightwish stand out amongst rock groups. Check them both out on Youtube, Tarja vs Anette some good videos on there, wish I knew how to copy them would add to my message!

Thanks to Woodie :)-D I'm going to see The Woodentops http://www.myspace.com/thewoodentops and Anchorsong at the Water Rats in Kings Cross. To be honest I haven't been to a gig in years and years so am pretty hyped up about it as its a great combination of styles and the venue is apparently great from what I've read. I reckon the place is gonna be absolutely packed and it'll probably be like that time I saw Clerks at the Prince Charles cinema when I was laughing like mad and this American bird whispered to me "Is this your first time"? I nodded then she shouts out "Clerks Virgin!!" and everyone turned round and laughed..:))

Brendan you spoony bard! Klaxons eh? Do tell what it was like cos they are bloody amazing! :))

Went to see Cesaria Evora a few weeks ago at the Festival Hall - enjoyed her thoroughly. Going to see Rodrigo Y Gabriela at Hammersmith this Sunday night. Going to see Led Zeppelin at the O2 on Monday night - that will be my last gig of the year (I'm going away at the end of next week) so I do hope it lives up to the hype - I am really looking forward to it anyway!