Great Gigs

Keef

Yes I did receive the E-mail - but still decided to go, thinking (hoping) that they arrange the stage etc in a manner that would allow the best possible spec. We'd orgainsed the weekend last year, hotels etc, visting friends so I didn't really want to cancel the trip last minute.

The gig was fantastic and as many people will no know on here, I love Anfield and it was still special sitting in the Kop for the gig. I just thought they were a bit cheeky, given the circumstances.

Anna - I feel bad for you that you didn't have better seats though!

Last Friday I was at the Springsteen gig at the Emirates Stadium. I had seats in a directors' box. I was a bit anxious about the whole thing because it was the first ever gig at the Emirates and I didn't know where the box was going to be and I didn't want to be stuck with no view (I would have preferred to be on the pitch). I'm a massive fan and I really wanted to enjoy this gig. Anyway, our seats were the best and it was a fantastic gig. As for Emirates Stadium - top venue with top staff. I've never been so well treated by venue staff; everyone we dealt with treated us like we were guests at a 5 star hotel. Very civilized place.

Ah, poor you Anna! The upper level of the centenary were the same price, I guess the people sat near the Kop end had the same problem as you. What was the sound like there? We had a weird echo quite a lot of the time.

Moral of the story, footie stadiums not ideal for gigs?!

OMG IF I DIE IN MY SLEEP TONIGHT I WILL HAVE DIED A VERY HAPPY WOMAN.

I have just seen Led Zeppelin with the Foos and they totally rocked. I spent 3 hours in the mosh pit about 15 ft from the stage (I'm getting way too old for mosh pits but sometimes you just have to). My feet were trodden on, I'm covered in beer and I have no voice left but WOAH! So perfect. Towards the end of the gig it started to rain fairly heavily and I'm so grateful for that because it was getting very hot down the front. After Jimmy Page left the stage the Foos did one more song and Dave Grohl stopped singing somewhere in the middle of the song and covered his face with his hands - I really think he was crying. I know how you felt Dave! I would really love to post a photo but I don't know how to do it.

just remebered a stunning show i saw once by accident. someone had a couple of tickets they couldnt use. Was i think in oxford

in about 1979/80., was Doctor hook and the medecine show. hard to describe how excellent they were. sounds funny to say it. it was however more a mixture of comedy and music then just the songs. they just have a way.

• 2 weeks later...

Elbow will be on tour in October and playing The Roundhouse on Saturday 11th and Sunday 12th October. On sale Friday 27th June.

Just a reminder to everyone to buy tickets directly from www.roundhouse.org.uk and avoid the excessive booking fees.

Also for the Autumn - long awaited new vinyl and two Barbican gigs for Antony and the Johnsons. Public on-sale at the Barbican on 1st July.

Went to see Radiohead last night at Victoria Park. Never been to the park before, but it was a good place to have a gig of this size. Nice relaxed festival feel before the gig, so rare to have that type of atmosphere in the middle of London. The band were fantastic, and the recent material came across really well live. No banter between tunes, but the music was so good that it wasnt necessary. Fantastic night, and even managed to get home at a decent time, despite been half cut, thanks to finding the way to Stratford tube station. Anyone else make it?

I saw Alanis Morissette last week at Brixton. She did a fair few new tunes, which were actually really beautiful, but pretty slow. She did however belt out the classics which had everyone singing along!

Not to everyone's taste, but she has lost none of the power in her voice, and it was an impressive set!

Not quite a gig, but still a nice evening out, Somerset House open air cinema, theres something about sitting on the grass under the stars with your picnic and a few bevvies outdoors on a warm summers evening watching a movie, the weather has not been too encouraging lately though, but a nice evening out all the same:-

http://www.somersethouse.org.uk/film/default.asp

Two great gigs featuring legends of rock and soul:

Thurs 3rd July

Solomon Burke at the Barbican Hall

Almost six decades into a career that stretches back to his days as the ?Wonder Boy Preacher? his great voice is still one of the most compelling sounds in American music ? and he?s set to raise the Barbican roof.

Support comes from the LA-based live funk 10-piece Breakestra who mix old skool funk, soul and hip hop.

Link

And then.....

Sat 19th and Sun 20th July

Chuck Berry at the Hackney Empire

In his 81st year he's certainly lost none of the talent and energy that has electrified audiences worldwide for over half a century.

With classic hits including Roll over Bethoven and Jonny B. Goode, Chuck Berry live at the Hackney Empire promises to be an electrifying night of entertainment from one of the founding fathers of Rock and Roll!

Link

DC, I love Chuck Berry, a real original guitar slinging rock n' roll poet but as for a live act I'm afraid he sucks. He'll have a pick up band that he hasn't even bothered to rehearse with. Very sad for a man with such a fantastic library of songs that he doesn't do justice to.

Over the years I've heard really bad things about Chuck Berry doing lousy gigs and when I finally saw him live I had really low expectations. Apparently his meanness is legendary so he doesn?t tour with his own band; just hires musicians wherever he goes and doesn?t pay for rehearsals (as Jah Lush has already pointed out). There?s another rumour that he only plays when he?s been paid in cash and he keeps the money in his sock. Who knows? I saw him at the Festival Hall a few years back and the bill was split between Chuck Berry and Jerry Lee Lewis. It really was a fantastic gig and it blew me away; everyone was up and dancing all night. I think the gig was all the better because my expectations had been so low. A great night.

Glad you enjoyed it. What I know is that Chuck Berry turns up with a guitar and an empty suitcase which he has filled up with the gig money and then and only then will he perform. I guess he was ripped off a lot when he was younger and he's still very bitter about it and is only trying to look after his own interests.

Jah - You?re right ? I guess he was ripped off a lot back in the day. I don?t know if there?s any truth in the legend of the cash in the sock/suitcase but I do want it to be true because I admire the simplicity of it. And it pissess all over the ?No Chandon No Band On? ethos of the more hedonistic rock culture.

I've never seen either artist, but know many people who have and also people who have booked them. The general feeling is that Chuck and Jerry Lee can both be very variable. Chuck gets the money and then plays - sometimes he's really good, sometimes he's terrible. Jerry Lee is unpredictable but if he's not sick, he's usually well worth watching. A friend of mine played bass for him a year or so in the 1990s and found it really fun, if (musically) a bit scary. No set list. No song introductions. No key announcements. Jerry just plays the introduction and you find the key, the tempo and try and figure out the song before the first chord change. Some nights it was all country songs, some nights all rock & roll or a mixture of both plus blues and pre-war pop songs. He just does what he likes. I'm very tempted to go and see him at the 100 Club in October, even though the tickets are ?138. Each. I think he'd really turn in a good show in such a small venue. Chuck did a show there recently (?135) and by the accounts I've heard/read, it was very poor.

Last night I went to a great gig at, what is rapidly becoming my favourite venue in London, the Luminaire (in Kilburn) to see Lucky Soul.

They play lovely, cheery soulful, tender pop music and their keyboard player, Malcolm, is from East Dulwich.

We bought the album on the way out and a new one is out shortly. Here are a couple of standout tracks:

I don't understand the Mighty Boosh; I don't get Noel Fielding (although he is sort of hot in a funny way) and I don't get Russell Brand. But I do know they have their following so I'm just posting here that they are doing a gig together (The Goth Detectives) on 28th July at the Lyceum Theatre (handy for the 176). It's a dear old do though (charity). There's a pre-sale now at www.ticketzone.co.uk. Ticketzone has currently sold out of the cheaper seats (?25) but you can always try Ticketmaster on Friday at 10.00am.

Also, another thing to be careful of at the Lyceum is that it is a wide venue and you don't want to be stuck at the sides (I'm a huge fusspot when it comes to getting decent seats). The best seating plan is at www.theatremonkey.com

Last week Jaws and I went to the Jack Johnson concert in Hyde Park featuring Ben Harper as his back up.. It absolutely rocked!!! I have seen him before in Australia but this time round he had just gathered so much momentum and Im telling you between the beers and spliffs going around around us the crowd was at fever pitch!! Best concert Ive been to in a long long time.. :)-D

Was meant to go to Dolly Parton last Sunday but had bronchitis so couldnt go.. I was gutted...

I'd love to go to more gigs but if Im honest with myself I tend to find out about things after they have either sold out or have happened! :-$