Great Gigs

Keef

Though I've never been a big fan of his he made some great records in the 80s but has flown so far up his own arse since then. He's weird and so are a lot of his fans. I really don't feel comfortable around someone that has had so many accusations of child abuse around them. You'd have to pay me to go and see him.

The best gig i ever went to was Bob Marley and the Wailers at Crystal Palace bowl. A warm sultry June evening in June 1980. The sent of marijuana filled the air along with the smell of bbq jerk chicken, corn on the cob and all washed down with copious amounts of Red Stripe.

The opening acts were Joe Jackson (I thought he was great but somone threw a dead duck on the stage), the Q Tips (Paul Young) and the Average White Band.

The charisma of the guy was amazing, it was an iconic moment in music. Everyone was in in awe of the man and it was peace and love.

10 months later he died of cancer. Broke my heart.

Bob Marley-Respect

Eliza - what a brilliant post. Made me quite envious.

One small thing niggles though; who in their right mind would take a dead duck to a concert? I mean, why would you? It?s just so spectacularly random. Do you think they travelled to the gig with the decedent or maybe just offed one when they got there?

Mikecg Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Focus did that great track Hocus Pocus TLS what a

> great band they were.

Indeed Mike...don't forget Sylvia and my personal favourite "Love Remembered" .

If the latter is on You Tube, turn the lights out and you will be transported to The Sahara Desert. Its very atmospheric!

Wilko Johnson at the Amersham Arms New Cross about seven years ago ? and again recently at The Spitz .

Captain Beefheart at what turned out to be his last uk tour in the early 80s .

Alasdair Roberts .... The Spitz ...and can I say it @ The Goose .

Chris Wood Towersy festival a couple of years ago .

bestest gigs .

Spiers and Boden at the Spitz.

Stones at Tooting Odeon (RIP) circa 1965 :-$ (front row :)) )

Martin Carthy at Dundee Uni circa 1968 :-$

Incredible String Band only I can't remember where, sometime in the sixties .....

Brass Monkey anywhere :))

The Stones 1965, Brian Jones period.

Did you know that Brian Jones has a son and one of my claims to fame is that my mum and his mum were really good friends, I remember Mark, he is the spit of his father and a really nice bloke. His mum Pat was a lovely lady she used to throw a great jelly and ice cream party, I feel fuzzy inside now thinking about that time.

Mikecg Wrote:

> The Stones 1965, Brian Jones period.

>

> xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yep, I claimed that he was smiling at me, sadly all my mates claimed the same :))

That was the era when if you were a girlie you had a sore throat after every gig. We used to scream at people we didn't even like much (when they were singing, obviously, not when passing them in the street etc) :))

Mine has to be the Friday night on the NME stage, Glastonbury 1992. The Orb followed by Primal Scream. I was 19.

The Orb started early evening and were all spangly spaced out joy, lasers flitting above the heads of the crowd through the smokey half-light at the end of an intensely sunny day. Their tunes all merged in one fantastic soundscape.

The sun went down and I, along with the other 40,000 people in the field rose up as Primal Scream took to the stage and played - as far as I can remember - the entire Screamadelica album. The whole field was bouncing, so much laughing and dancing. I thought then that I was probably at the best gig I would ever go to.

ap

Eliza.D Wrote:

> The best gig i ever went to was Bob Marley and the

> Wailers at Crystal Palace bowl.

> A warm sultry June evening

> in June 1980.

> The

> sent of marijuana filled the air along with the

> smell of bbq jerk chicken, corn on the cob and all

> washed down with copious amounts of Red Stripe.

> The opening acts were Joe Jackson (I thought he

> was great but somone threw a dead duck on the

> stage), the Q Tips (Paul Young) and the Average

> White Band.

> The charisma of the guy was amazing, it was an

> iconic moment in music. Everyone was in in awe of

> the man and it was peace and love.

> 10 months later he died of cancer. Broke my

> heart.

> Bob Marley-Respect

I was there too Eliza tripping off my skull. When Bob Marley eventually came on after the I-Threes did short warm up set it was like some sort of God appearing.

Just going back t Michael Jackson, I think he is undoubtedly a nut job, yet I am convinced he'd put on a hell of a stage show, and I'd definitely go if offered a ticket. I'd even pay for one if it was reasonable, but doubt it will be.

i've seen him twice, Bad and Dangerous tours. He was definately a showman, lots of energy and great songs. Not sure if can repeat that. Seems he needs the money big time and suspect the shows would be a spectacle of sound, light, dance etc, but what about the voice and his dancing, can he still turn it on.

Just a quick one to Jah Lush: The Bob Marley Party Party. Given the politcal and econmic climate at the time, SUS etc don't you think the police and security were good taking a sensible and casual approach to policing, very low key and it did feel like a party and not a concert/gig.

Crystal palace park 1980.

Copper: You got any drugs son?

Jah: No officer.

Copper: Wanna buy some?

Hornimans gardens 2003.

Copper: Empty your pockets.

BBW: Why?

Copper: Do as I fcukin tell yer. Whats this then, weed?

BWW: But officer you don't understand!

Copper: Shut yer gob son and get in the van!

Typical!

I had an 8th of black on me once the cops were approaching in their car so I ate it, they drove past of course and 10 minutes later I was tripping I felt like id dropped a micro dot it was a great LOL!

The new anti cannabis advert makes me laugh, it looks like a promotional video to me, the guy in it looks like hes having a great time I recon people are gonna want to buy some after watching it.