Great Gigs

Keef

Where did you see Nickleback? I saw them at Hammersmith in 2004 I think. That was a bloody great show, and I'm nt even a huge fan.

Don't think Bon Jovi would be worth seeing these days. A friend went a couple of years back and said it was very disappointing. They don't have the energy of their 80s glam days anymore.

Shu.Kurimu.Sensei Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Brendan you spoony bard! Klaxons eh? Do tell what

> it was like cos they are bloody amazing! :))

The Klaxons were ok. As is quite often the case they had a few good songs, then a few ?radio friendly? songs that everyone was most familiar with (these didn?t count amongst the good ones though) and then a lot of filler.

They took themselves a bit too seriously for my liking.

Their sound is like Trent Reznor being raped by the girls from Abba. So was the show I suppose. i.e. Worth seeing but not exactly pleasant all the way through.

I must say that I have never been to a gig before where the crowd was made up of such a bunch of rude, arrogant, hoorah henry, ?London? dicks. (You know the type) But then I am used to punk and metal shows where everyone may look weird but they are normally kinda nice to each other.

I didn?t go to the after party with Lilly Whinehouse. I gave the ticket to someone who would appreciate it more.

Is it just me or am I becoming a cantankerous old bugger?

Think it was the London Arena, excellent gig, pyrotechnics absolutely fantastic, guy riding round on his motorbike too, amazing concert full of energy, although they failed miserably to get a mosh pit going much to my daughter's disappointment. I have Bon Jovi dvds so will keep to them instead methinks, thanks for the advice Keef. I do admire Jon Bonjovi though has good morals not your average rock star and donates tons to charity without trying to get a pat on the back for it.

atila the gooner Wrote:

> I saw Bobby Womack at the Hammersmith Apollo, as

> was, back in October 1985, the man was immense.

Yeah, I saw him the year before at the same venue. One of my favourite singers ever.

Also, I can vouch for the excellent Water Rats pub in Kings Cross. I used to go there quite a lot back in the day to check out new bands with a mate in the "biz". It's a very small venue, bar out front and small room with stage at the back. Oasis played their first London gig in there back in early '93.

LizzygotDizzy Wrote:

> Oh well, I stand corrected then Keef

No no, you could well be right, I'm just going on an interview I saw some years ago where the singer from Skid Row was having a go about it, but could just be sour grapes.

Either way, he's still the master of the rock power ballad, Bed of Roses being the ultimate! >:D<

I've actually got a whole paddock of "great gigs" back there, interchangeable for a number of occasions or reasons, ie most groovy old men, most influence on music, most missed dead hero, least able to actually play...

most authoritative control of an audience goes to Sigue Sigue Sputnik, who played a secret gig at our student union in 1986. rumour was that David Bowie might turn up [and how dissapointed were his fans?] but inpection of the volumes of computer gear going in the stage door revealed that it was to be SSS. the audience were there to pick a fight, so as soon as they came on the booing started, and about five minutes in the coins started to drop on their spiky heads. degville stopped the band, called us all provincial wankers, and as he walked off took someones pint from them, quaffed it and spat it in their face. the audience moved AS ONE to deliver a kicking to the london fops, who stepped neatly into a van with the engine running, and off into the night.so we trashed the stage instead...

Ultraconsultancy

Annasfield Wrote:

> Hey Giggirl - Have you seen Rod Y Gab before? I've

> seen them a couple of times and they were

> excellent.

>

> Arctic Monkeys on Sunday night :)-D

Nope - never seen them before. Haven't even heard a CD yet. Am I in for a treat?

Arctic Monkeys at Ally Pally huh? The problem with that place (for anyone short like me anyhow) is that there is absolutely no rake on the floor - it's completely flat. Doesn't work for me - I get wedged inbetween freakishly tall folk.

Ultraconsultancy Wrote:

> IIRC, since I have always been drunk while in

> there, is that Shepherds Bush Empire is the worst

> culprit there; flat floor and the stage must be

> on a ten foot riser. so get down the front and you

> might just see the top of artist's heads.

>

> Ultraconsultancy

Shepherds Bush Empire is possibly the very best small music venue in London. The ground floor has no rake though - completely flat. The trick is to get seats on LEVEL ONE - that's the VIP level.

Ultraconsultancy Wrote:

> Quite agree with regard to SBE's bookings and

> ambience, giggirl, but VIP seats? I like roughing

> it with the urchins down the front!

>

> Ultraconsultancy

Naah - I'm long past roughing it - I like the VIP seats. Besides, I once sat next but one to Howard from Take That in the VIP seats (be still my beating heart - that man can re-light my fire any day of the week).

Depends on the gig - any kind of band that relies on energy - be it NiN or the Chemical Brothers, has to be standing... it just does. No ifs no buts. No "but I'm xx years of age/done my time/had a hip replacement" excuses. Well, maybe the last one.

But if Iggy Pop at 60-odd is prepared to jump around like a lunatic and hurl himself into the crowd then we have no excuse

More pensive artists (your Lambchop for example) are a different matter and I'm happy to have a seat. I might even mutter an "oh, very good" to some of the uptempoish numbers ;-)

Yes I take your point Sean but most of the time I like to sit down so I can have the option of standing up or sitting down (I also have the aged hip replacement excuse). I am in the floor standing area at Led Zep on Monday night. What I would really like to do (this sounds pervy but stick with me on this) is be blindfolded. I don't want to be down at the front looking at old men - I just want to be lead to the place on the floor where the sound quality is best and be blindfolded and left there for the duration of the gig - I'm serious - I swear to God.

Annasfield Wrote:

> Rod y gab are fantastic. You will have an

> excellent time. Have seen them twice now, my mate

> has seen them 5 times and we have never been

> disappointed.:) look them up on youtube.

they are real special.

Glad you enjoyed it giggirl.

She is pretty cool isn't she? Most of the blokes I know who have seen her play have all fallen in love. She's not bad to look at, but I think most men who like their music LOVE the fact that she plays so well!

Saw the Arctic Monkeys last night - they were absolutely brilliant!! >:D<