Why do smokers think it is ok to throw their flaming butts on ground?

cate

Jah Lush Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I hate litter and I'm a smoker and have used a

> portable ashtray in the past but I've not seen

> them anywhere for ages whether for sale or for

> free.

xxxxxxx

Google them and a load will come up, including for under a fiver on eBay :)

ETA: A lot of councils seem to provide them free to residents.

Jah Lush Wrote:

> Like any normal decent human being I'd rather not

> drop my cigarette butts on the pavement so does

> anyone know where I can get hold of portable

> ashtrays?

http://www.impactlab.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/cigarette.jpg

it looks like the debate is still running on how long these butts take to biodegrade - anything from 18 months to 12 years, mostly 12 years seems to be quoted and some researchers have claimed that the acetate contained in butts never fully biodegrades. The chemicals contaminate the environment as well and butts are one of the greatest litter problems in the world. So I agree, please dispose of the butt carefully!

Ridgley Wrote:

> If sound like an old boiler, and look like an old

> boiler you are old boiler that should clarify

> things Sue (td)

xxxxxx

How would you like it if someone described you like that?

The curtain twitching, busybody original poster needs to get out more instead of spending their time spying on the poor employees of these businesses. I can just imagine them hiding behind a tree, notebook in hand. If the buts are picked up by the sweeper machines, so what? No real harm done. Ed is not some quaint surrey village, it is a comparitively nice but still densely populated inner city area surrounded by urban ghettos, where like it or not litter and general filth are par for the course.

Ok, whatever, but u have to admit that reading your post, it does sound like you have a less than healthy obsession with these smokers no? You single out 'one particular male employee' at keatings estate agent's for example, the guy must surely be a heavy chain smoker for you to have noticed him dropping so many butts whilst merely 'passing by' on your daily business.

It's to do with litter. The point I am trying to make is that smokers should dispose of their butts not by throwing them on the ground as that is littering, but by putting them in suitable receptacles which should either be carried by the smokers or provided by employers. Even though the solicitor has an ashtray on the wall outside their office doesn't seem the employees seem to think it is OK to litter the streets. I am bemused that there are so many places within a stone's throw of each other where this goes on. I have not singled out the estate agent.

There are probably a million fag buts dropped in london each day, agreed, it is not a nice thing to see, but there are better ways to discuss it than naming and shaming the employees of a few local businesses. In doing so you come across as a rather sad individual in need of something constructive to do with their lives. And yes you have singled out this male employee of keatings, no two ways about it.

Personally my bug bear is chewing gum on the pavements. At least butts can be cleaned up fairly easily. Next time you're wandering around in town look at the pavements - totally covered in chewing gum splodges. I think Singapore had the right idea!

bookhopper Wrote:

> should you not be moaning about the businesses

> that dont provide the equipment? (IE - Wall fag

> stubber-outter, bin with a butt end bit...etc)

> What else are the smokers suppost to do if there

> company wont provide?

eater81 I haven't named any employees. Based on your posting history it's a bit much for you to criticise any efforts ot make this area a better environment.

Bookhopper, there are such things as portable ashtrays. And if you don't have one a disposable cup with water in it works just fine. And see below.

It's obvious you didn't read the thread. The solicitor office does provide a wall bin but the employees don't use it. After I said something to one of them she picked it up and deposited it in the bin despite telling me it was biodegradable. Il Mirto has tables outside which could/should have ashtrays on them. It is the owner of the business who sits out there and smokes as well as employees.

If you were there Sue, you would have agreed with me this old boiler had no respect for anyone or anything that is why she threw her cigarettes butt on the floor and then a crisp packet there are people like that out there you just need to get out more old boiler and geezer bird absolutely.

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

> What, there isn't a bin a few feet away from the

> entrance of any business?

What does this mean? A bin for what? To put burning butts in? Or a normal street bin which the smokers can put their extinguished butts in? If that is what you mean then you are dreaming. There is even a wall mounted ashtray outside the solicitors' office which gets ignored. From what I can see, a lot of smokers justify their throwing butts on the pavement on the grounds that its still burning and by doing that it is safer. If that is their reasoning, then carry a portable ashtray and or a cup/bottle of water, use that and then put in bin.

I think smokers should do what they like. They'll be dead soon anyway. The thing I always find confusing is seeing groomed, sometimes even heavily made-up women smoke. Why bother going to all that trouble when you spend all day smelling like a blocked drain? Seems a little pointless to me.