I say southwark - fortnightly bin collections

charliecharlie, if only 1 bag of food waste, wouldn't one of your neighbours let your pop it into their brown bin?

Just a thought.

I think if you put the bag out on it's own you'd have to do it on the morning of collection, and even then the cats & foxes may get to it as you said, and then you'll have an awful mess.

Molly

Mrs TP,

Southwark has lots andl ots of kitchen caddies. So far 1,000 given out with another 2,000 in stock. So really no effort to distribute these and it will make taking part in the pilot that much easier for you.

Hi The Nappy Lady,

I'll ask why ?40 vouchers have run out and what is planned. We're only half way through the financial year which runs 1 April to 31 March. that's a long wait.

Clearly this would make the pilot go that much better.

I think Southwark Council have got there wires cross with the bins in our household the blue box is always over flowing with recycled items. Surely this type of recycled stuff should go into the green wheelie bin then we would'nt need the silly little blue box or boxes. Our front garden is now looking like

a recycling centre.This new pilot scheme will not work. Are they trying to get rid of wheelie bins now, it must of cost all of us a fortune using our council rates. When they do eventually take away the green wheelie bin what are they going to do with them.

Chocoholic Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

the blue box is always over flowing with recycled items.

Solution: Ask for extra blue boxes.

Chocoholic Wrote:

Are they trying to get rid of wheelie bins

Answer: contained in leaflet. Read it yet?

[quote name=charliecharlie' date=' if only 1 bag of food waste, wouldn't one of your neighbours let your pop it into their brown bin?

]

thanks for the suggestion, but all our tiny gardens are the same size (we are on a path and the gardens all face onto the the path and that is all the space we have... very different from putting it in your front garden for those who have one (as well as a back garden or) and I hope my neighbours will also not want to clutter up their gardens with 'plastic city'

I live in a street that is part of the pilot scheme and I am, broadly speaking, in favour of it. However, in my road many residents can't/won't keep their bins inside their front gardens, usually because of the steep steps down from their front doors. They are understandably unwilling or, in some cases, unable to lug their wheelie bins up and down these steps each week. So they just leave them on the pavement, blocking it and making a pretty horrible stink in the summer. It also encourages flytippers just to dump stuff beside them. Southwark Council has helpfully added to this problem by supplying us all with another wheelie bin just for rotting food. The council should provide their residents with a refuse solution that can be accommodated within their premises.

Hi trig,

People don't have to have 240litre massive brown wheelie bins. They can have 23 Litre easilly carried bronw bins for food waste.

Looking at the leaflets some people might have reached the wrong conclusion they needed wheelie bins. They don't.

The pilot should'nt necessarily make the things you've described worse.

You might like to explain for some of your neighbours they can have smaller 23 litre bronww bins OR you could suggest sharing one bin amongst several neighbours.

James; re vouchers I understand there is a set number available each year & when they're gone they're gone. The sad thing is that not all that claim them actually use them, I gather there are about 80 outstanding.

Was waiting for confirmation that it is no more this Financial Year or until end of 2010 as maybe outstanding vouchers will then expire, releasing more if that makes sense.

Timing is really bad though with the food waste trial starting up, I agree.

No, I'm just not a complete imbecile who appears incapable of digesting the 'confusing' information conveyed in six lines of large print and accompanied by a couple of helpful pictures - from a leaflet written in plain English.

I agree with chocoholic, I'd much rather have a huge bin for recycling, especially as I try not to waste too much food stuff by freezing, reusing/rehashing into another meal etc. I've got 2 blue boxes and they are still over-flowing with stuff plus another box of my own in my kitchen every week. I end up having to throw some of it in the green bin I'm afraid. Also what happens to large cardboard boxes that I've flattened that are too big for the blue boxes? They refused to take it for 2 weeks before I got sick of the sight of it and cut it up and chucked it in the green bin (no room anywhere else!).

Hi Gussy,

I'm asking about big blue wheelie bins to help the pilot and keep it simpler for residents.

Hi Bob,

Those 'helpful' lesaflets have resulted in some taking 240L wheelie bins when they wanted 23L bins and now trying to swap them.

Hi The Nappy Lady,

I've asked if properties in the Pilot area could have these vouchers.

In 3 days we've had a half a dozen ideas for making the pilot better.

Summary from me would be the scheme is overly rushed for no obvious reason other than the pilot will entirely occur during autumn/winter. Even just a couple more months of really consulting interested redidents would have improved the scheme.

Peckhamgatecrasher - I laughed when I saw your post re checking inside the outside bin for the caddie as I realised what a div I was being but laughter soon turned to disappointment as no caddie inside.

We are just waiting for our Chinese takeaway and the excitment is killing me with all that potential recycling on the way.

James Barber Wrote:

> Hi Bob,

> Those 'helpful' lesaflets have resulted in some

> taking 240L wheelie bins when they wanted 23L bins

> and now trying to swap them.

>

Oh come on, James... big deal! So 'some people' got the wrong bin!

I'm a 'yellow' myself but I can see this for the bit of political merrymaking that it is. From reading your pronouncements in the Southwark News just now whilst in the chip shop - "Chaos! Confusion! Doom!" - you'd be forgiven for thinking that the world had stopped turning.

I don't effing believe it!!!!

I rang yesterday to ask the council to take away the small plastic brown bin (will be doing food waste pilot, but will find a way to do it without contributing to the mass of plastic and bins cluttering up my street and neighbours homes) and lo!!! I seem to the only one that has had another bit of horrid plastic delivered to my house (the nasty little caddy). I would take about 6 weeks to fill the caddy... don't want it, don't like it, don't need it...

please stop the visual pollution and the massive use of non renewable resources... please!!!

*tries to calm down and puts caddy inside small brown bin for collection "within a week"... we'll see!*

What's the etiquette on how clean recyclable stuff should be?

e.g. Soup carton - should you rinse?

i usually rinse baked bean tins etc

Is this the right thing to do - or do ppl just throw recyclable stuff into the blue bin without rinsing?