I say southwark - fortnightly bin collections

To everyone worried about nappies:

Shake the poo into the loo and flush it away, you mingers. Perhaps the fortnightly bin collection will encourage more people to do this. I was horrified, when my children were in happies, at how few of my fellow disposable-using Mum friends could be bothered to do this and were quite happy to leave a weeks worth of child poo festering in their wheelies.

And for the terminally confused:

There is a short booklet from Southwark, which I'm sure will be delivered to you (have had mine already), which explains exactly what goes where and is illustrated with photos of extremely pleased looking householders putting the correct rubbish or recycling in the appropriate bin.

Am sure you'll get the hang of it.

Makes perfect sense not to separate the recycling as the guys have always just chucked the whole lot in the lorry anyway.

*alert - the following information may disgust many readers*

Dorothy, I'm not sure how realistic it is to expect people to put their babies' poo in the lavatory. OK for some older babies perhaps but all younger babies' poo is pretty liquid and messy.

Dorothy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Put a disposable liner in the nappy. Catches 90%

> of the runny stuff. Come on, lets face it, it

> just takes a little bit of effort.

Have you changed a breast fed baby's nappy? Liners make no difference, just increases waste!.

Question.

How many people on this forum are likely to fill more than two of these compostable bags a week with peelings and srapings off plates? Are the dustmen really going to wheel brown bins to a truck to empty two bags, especially during the pilot scheme when there's likely to be no garden cuttings in the bin.

silverfox Wrote:

> Hang on, my leaflet says I've been provided with

> 50 compostable food waste bags. Why should you get

> 150 if I've only got 50 (and I bet if I count them

> there's only 49!). Is it becuase you come from

> Peckham? What is this blatent discrimination

> against East Dulwich residents? I'm going to

> withhold my council tax until I get 150 bags like

> you.

It's nothing personal silverfox. It's just that we are better than you.

Clare C - by my rough calculations I have changed about 2000 nappies from exclusively breastfed babies, and perhaps 5,000 nappies in total. (Two children, ebf for six months, weaned thereafter, both potty trained by about 2 and 3/4) so, give me a little credit, I do know what I am talking about.

Dorothy Wrote:

> Clare C - by my rough calculations I have changed

> about 2000 nappies from exclusively breastfed

> babies, and perhaps 5,000 nappies in total. (Two

> children, ebf for six months, weaned thereafter,

> both potty trained by about 2 and 3/4) so, give me

> a little credit, I do know what I am talking

> about.

In which case you will be more than aware that a nappy liner is not going to solve the problem of festering two week old nappies! Does however increase waste whilst marginally reducing the volume of festering excrement.

Am not going to argue the toss with you Clare. If flushing poo down the toilet doesn't reduce the amount of festering excrement in wheelie bins in the case of ebf babies, then it certainly does for the other 75%+ of the average child's nappy-wearing life. Babies do not produce liquid poo for very long.

Well I don't have children (EDF resident in shock revelation) and I don't need my bin collected even fortnightly - monthly would do to be honest. And those people that cannot seem to grasp what goes in what bin at what time for what period of time...quite frankly you don't deserve to have your bins collected at all.

I think the whole idea is rubbish (pardon the pun), we're a family of five, we recycle as much paper / bottles / tines / plastic as possible but our bin is still full every week, as far as I can tell the recycling all gets chucked together anyway and no-one has every really told us what happens to our "recycled" stuff. I HATE all these bloody bins / containers / bags, and I refuse to scrape all my leftovers into a stupid little brown bin. I don't do gardening so I sent my gardening bin back ages ago. It's all a waste of time and money.

As Sean Lock said, once you've been to America for a while you feel a bit stupid washing out your little marmite pot and putting it in the recycling.

I've just emailed the lead officer about the pilot starting on Monday and got back.....an out of office until......Monday.

Peckhamgatecarcher - i'm assured non of the recycling goes to landfill and a contract was agreed this week of where the food waste will be recycled. Please, please, please don't spread such ideas even in jest.

EDmummy - evaluation. Currently the total tonnages of recycling and main rubbish is recorded. During the pilot they'll record tonnages for the pilot and the non pilot area. They plan to then calculated the likely original recycling levels by comparing the non pilot lower tonnages with the new non pilot tonnages that covers 10,000 fewer homes. Not highly accurate I suspect but an indication. If more time had been taken some precise pre pilot figures for the pilot area could have been obtained. Phew. As for involving residents no mention so far. To be honest its been hard as a councillor to be involved so far.

I think it's brilliant that Southwark are doing this. We are in the pilot - I saw the letter and got all the bits delivered today, and so far I think the communication about it has been very clear. I just really hope it works so they roll it out.

We could have a nappy issue as ClareC suggests - but we have a dustbin of our own out the back where we collect them before putting them out in the wheelie bin - and as long as the lid stays on it should be OK.

Just might spur me on to switch to reusable nappies as I had always intended...