North Cross Road market - Proposed extension of trading days & Pitches

Bubbles

Sounds like Fridays are a bit quiet for trading, but I don;t think that's an indication of what might hpeen on Sundays. Wouldn't there be a lot of people in the area on Sundays who aren't around on Friday, or any other day in the week, being at work etc?

I also think that the food stalls need a little more 'customer protection' - i was walking past the hog roast stand a couple of weeks ago and the hot fat was sizzling and spattered over my jacket - whilst annoying, it washed out, but could have seriously burnt a childs face - there was very little concern from the stall holder... HP

Fair point as well ? but given how narrow that section of path is anyway, I find it preferable to avoid completely

I don?t want anything bad happening to anyone?s kids ? just so we?re clear. But I?m kind of minded to think where does the worrying stop? What if someone walking along with a coffee in their hands doesn?thave the lid attatched properly and it spills all over the pram? Etc etc

Hi

As a food vendor on North Cross Road market, I would just like to explain the measures we put in place to ensure the food is safe.

All food vendors should be registered with the Food Safety Team - and are then subject to inspection of both their kitchen facilities and their stall conditions and practices. They should also have a level 2 food hygiene certificate which ensures that they are aware of all the precautions that need to be taken to ensure that food is safe.

We are required to fill out records of cooking, cooling and reheating times, core temperatures and refrigeration and freezer temperatures. Food kept at the stall therefore needs to be kept either in a fridge or a coolbox, with a temperature below 8 degrees. Small amounts of cold food should be put on display at any one time, and topped up with food from the coolbox/fridge.

Hot food needs to be kept at a minimum temperature of 68 degrees - so hot food vendors should have a food thermometer to hand.

The last thing we would want to do is put our customers at risk of food poisoning, so we take extreme in care in adhering to the rules in keeping food out of the 'danger zone'. Obviously, we can't speak for other traders, but I did just want to reassure our customers that our food is perfectly safe!

Mother's Dumplings

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> So let us get away from congestion and parking and

> back to the Market Concerns.

>

> One of my own Primary Concerns is Food.

>

> An increasing amount of Food is being sold.

>

> Much of this would seem Homemade, Under what

> conditions are these made. ?

>

> Cheese and Meat produce sold from seemingly

> Unrefridgerated Units.

>

> Any retail outlet (shop) selling food would be

> under close scrutiny with visits from Local

> Authority with no warning.

>

> What safe guards are in place to ensure the Food

> sold at North Cross Market is safe.

Oh Good Grief!! We arent talking about a North African meat market here are we? Its not like the place is one huge swarm of blue bottles is it? Has anybody been killed by food poisoning from eating a tepid pie from NCR Market?

What concerns me is that people seem to think that we can create a germ free environment and that would be a good idea.

Yes - expand the market and make it as unhealthy as possible to boost the immune systems of the next generations.

The road should be closed to cars with deliveries to stalls being made by horse drawn carts, thus allowing the smell of horse manure to waft gently through the market.

• 2 weeks later...
You seem to be struggling for excuse's. Why should anyone have to cross the road to avoid your inconsideration. A large heat resistant clear screen is a simple answer, as it would show that you care about passing public including children, and you would also be less likely to be sued for hot spitting fat. ( I am sure your profits would allow for that, and I believe its tax deductible too?)

I went to the market yesterday for the first time in ages and remembered how much I enjoyed it. I'm in favour of:

extending to 30;

opening on Sunday

AND

closing the road (although I appreciate that's not covered by this consultation, wish it was).

i rarely go to the market - I find the majority of the goods too expensive and although I have a good income, I am reluctant to purchase some of the goods as I do not feel they are good value for money. I was in the market a couple of weeks ago and felt peckish - some of the food stalls are reasonable price but since I cannot eat bread/dough products could not indulge - the hot dogs and mother dumpling stall looked good.

Found it difficult to walk up NXR on the pavement with all the prams and people congregating to chat, would be difficult to take my mother there in her wheelchair.

I live on one of the roads off Northcross rd and i am certainly not in favour of the market increasing in size or being on on extra days. I avoid it like the plague and would be furious if someone decided to close the road to cars on those days, why can't they move it to goose green park where those who love it so much have space to congregate without getting in the way of others. I agree it is over priced and a wannabe of the one in clapham.

Hi yummumbums,

Goose Green park is fine for occassional events but the grass would never hold up to regularly beign used for events - and certainly not once or twice a week.

I've asked council officers for feedback on the consultation but they're not ready to count the responses yet. Will pester them for the results.

• 2 months later...

Yes it would great to be open on Sunday and a Farmers Market an fantastic addition. A good farmers markets can provide great value for money, especially if you bargain hunt seasonal stuff - as you are missing out a big cooperate middle man. Ideal for the current climate.

A road closure would ideal - but I imagine a bit of problem for local car drivers. Would blocking the road for access only work? It is not really that safe for ambling peds at the moment.

huncamunca Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> bah!

>

> the only gangs on this thread are the Boden

> Massive Man Dem Crocs Krew

>

> And we know fo sho that they are pussies

I"m appalled at the provocative language here. That Croc allegation is fighting talk.