North Cross Road market - Proposed extension of trading days & Pitches

Bubbles

Evidently Southwark are looking for more 'craft' stalls. Oh no.

The market operates with the odd stall at other days in the week besides Saturday. Sparkes butcher is there at least three or four days. I can't imagine there would be 20-30 stalls 6 days a week, especially not craft ones.

I would like to see Vietnamese food, Mexican food and other world cuisines.

"I would like to see Vietnamese food, Mexican food and other world cuisines."

Agreed - there is a 'foodie' market in Venn street in Clapham Common last weekend of the month - offerings such as delicious arancia 'risotto rice balls' from Sicily which are one of my favourites, and it would be great to have similar closer to home.

I don't think the market will extend to weekdays any time soon. I trade on a Friday and it's pretty lonely! Though Southwark did make a concerted effort to extend the market to Fridays in the summer with a fair number of new stalls, they have all dropped off as a result of trade being pretty slow...

These things clearly take time to build, and traders simply won't come out if business isn't brisk enough (although we're persevering with Fridays...)

There are a couple of things that worry me about the consultation. It mentions adding stalls to the other side of the road, saying that this will 'improve the safety for shoppers and traders'. How can this be with traffic going both ways along the road. Pedestrianisation is not mentioned. If this is the intention then it should be clearly stated. It also says 'We will ensure that the local residents and businesses are not inconvenienced by this extension' but doesn't say how this will be ensured. It's bound to have a big impact on parking on nearby roads - vans of 10 more traders, less parking on Northcross Rd and then potentially more customers driving there, when as Dulwich Fox says it's already very difficult to park on the roads off Northcross. It's disappointing that parking isn't mentioned in the consultation. I really like the market, but would also like to be able to park within 100m of my house!

Hi edanna,

Northcross Market or no Northcross market parking will always be difficult within a few hundred metres of Lordship Lane on Saturdays. Extending the market from 20 to 30 stalls on a Saturday is unlikely to make a real difference to parking.

But perhaps worth highlighting in the conulstation concern about parking. It would'nt take much to arrange for stall holders to park somewhere with less parking pressure a few hundred metres away - perhaps southern end of Darrell Road.

Extending the market from 20 to 30 stalls on a Saturday is unlikely to make a real difference to parking.

10 extra traders vans won't impact on local residents trying to park? More visitors to the market (if that is an impact) along with closure of Northcross Road won't impact on local residents ability to park outside their homes? Have you done any kind of survey to measure how many vehicles are parked in streets local to the market at any time of day/ night James?

Whilst your support for local business is to be applauded it isn't credible when you make an assumption (which your comment above is) based on nothing but your desire to support the proposal.

It would'nt take much to arrange for stall holders to park somewhere with less parking pressure a few hundred metres away - perhaps southern end of Darrell Road.

I'm not convinced that stall holders are likely to park on Darrell Road and I hardly think the residents of Darrell Road would welcome this!

I love North Cross Road market - I received the letter yesterday and am in full agreement with extending the market etc.

Any traders are welcome to the space that my 4x4 used to take up before I moved it out to the country.*

Cheers and good luck everyone, love the market. Will def shop there both days. One day is never enough.

Disclaimer:*ironic font use here.

James, of course it would make a difference. Before anyone assumes that parking pressure won't be significant someone needs to do an analysis of the current situation. Parking has got a lot harder over the past 5 or 6 years. Actually it's very hard to park near our house most days of the week but Saturdays are definitely worse. I know I'm not alone in this.

Great idea, as long as they keep a close eye on the quality and mix of stalls. Please don't let in cheap and nasty imports. And I too am for market day closure. It's a real shame it's not paved and closed to allow for better flow through.

I'm keen on more food stalls. More the merrier I say, choice needs to be increased, and demand will increase accordingly. I think a moo town cheese baguette sounds awesome.

thanks

Cassius Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> "I would like to see Vietnamese food, Mexican food

> and other world cuisines."

>

> Agreed - there is a 'foodie' market in Venn street

> in Clapham Common last weekend of the month -

> offerings such as delicious arancia 'risotto rice

> balls' from Sicily which are one of my favourites,

> and it would be great to have similar closer to

> home.

See my post about Elephant and Castle Sunday market in the Lounge.

Thanks for posting the link James, I live off Northcross and hadn't received a consultation questionnaire. I think it's really important to support the traders, they're always there bright and early setting up the stalls and would welcome the extension

There does appear to be a number of people who had not received the survey/consulation letter and judging by this thread, there are quite a few points that Souhtwark Council needs to consider (which was not refered to on the survey!) As I said in my earlier post, the survey can be completed online and the link is: www.surveymonkey.com/s/northcrossroadmarket

The closing date for the "consulation" is 5th November 2010

The survey doesn't ask where respondents live. Shame as it might otherwise have been used to gauge the feeling of those living on NCR and connecting streets regarding issues like parking and Sunday trading. There's also nothing to stop anyone form filling it in a million times - so anyone who feels very strongly, get clicking!

For what it's worth, I'm not in a connecting road (I'm 1 road removed), I'm pro extension and pro Sunday market trading. I'd also be pro pedestrianisation, were that to be a consideration.

bonaome Wrote:

> For what it's worth, I'm not in a connecting road

> (I'm 1 road removed), I'm pro extension and pro

> Sunday market trading. I'd also be pro

> pedestrianisation, were that to be a

> consideration.

No Problem. When I cannot park in my road, I'll park in your's.

Will that sort the problem ???

^really! is your car the be all and end all?

How childish it makes you sound.

Please feel free to park in my road which is very

close and would mean your poor legs wouldn't have to walk too far :(

I fully support the extension and the pedestrianisation, it's a fantastic

asset to ED and i love nothing better than wondering through the stalls

with the family meeting other friend etc at the weekend. Long may it continue

Pearson, you stay in Northcross Road and go 'wondering' through the stalls, ha, meeting your other friend? You only have one? Not surprising. You are the one who is childish in running down the Elephant and Castle market on the thread I posted. You don't even live there.

^ for sure, you have already mentioned 'your' thread previously on this thread.

We know you would like to see 'Vietnamese, Mexican and other world cuisines'

and we also know you're not really into craft stalls. I am glad you have found a Market to satisfy your taste.

Please don't be offended or take it personally that i don't agree with your views of Elephant & Castle.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> bonaome Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

>

> > For what it's worth, I'm not in a connecting

> road

> > (I'm 1 road removed), I'm pro extension and pro

> > Sunday market trading. I'd also be pro

> > pedestrianisation, were that to be a

> > consideration.

>

> No Problem. When I cannot park in my road, I'll

> park in your's.

>

> Will that sort the problem ???

It's already impossible to park in our road on Saturday DulwichFox. It's extremely difficult on a Friday. I'd guess if the market expands and more people have stalls on Sunday, it'll be very difficult or impossible to park in our road on a Sunday too. So I wouldn't bother trying to park in our road, really.

I live on a connecting road and parking is a 'bit' of a hassle on Saturday and with 3 kids under 5 that's not always much fun...but there's often a space somewhere and practically always one just round the corner...the market's great and if people don't want an extension 'cos of impossible parking' that strikes me as a fisrtly an exageration and secondly Nimbyism.....