Weird demonic chanting on Peckham Rye common last night

CP

IF you are talking about the elderly man who is often found wondering around the park with no shoes on (very keen on feeding the birds); he used to be a POW and I have been told that due to the abuse he suffered there, his feet get very painful so he can only go barefoot.

I used to talk with him some time ago, but have noticed recently that his behaviour has changed and he seems more aggressive.

It's all incredibly sad if this is the same guy you all think it could be - please, I know it's an inconvenience, but call the warden when you hear it; whoever it may be clearly needs help. The phone call is really the only option you all have to silence him.

James Barber, could you post the relevant telephone numbers please?

The pattern is that the noise starts at 3:30AM on anything up to 4 nights a week and goes on for about an hour. It will usually happen for a night, then stop for a night then happen the next night etc although sometimes there is a gap of a few nights with no rant. In terms of whether or not he's got bare feet I've not seen the chap so cannot comment. I'd be grateful if somebody could post the warden's number. I telephoned the council about it and somebody was supposed to call me back but never did.

I live in the Gardens and hear this chanting, screaming and wailing as well. Its as described and at those times. I have no idea who it is and its a big assumption that it is the POW chap. Just hear the noise. Bit unfair on the POW fella as it could be anyone, as yet unidetified.

Sounds like the noise is coming freom near the Gardens Doctors and lasts for an hour. Unless the noise wardens get there pretty sharpish the noise would have stopped so guessing it will be hard to track down and investigate.

Aye its a fair sair fecht when wullie, fat boab and soaupey souter built a boogie and pc murdoch caught them oot. Then paw broon fae glebe street would make it aw right.

Anyhoo, nothing tae do with the chanting but yep, DC Thomson published Broons, Oor Wullie and the rest. Jute, jam and journalism, and DC Thomson kindly donated to the Barry Barry Road Race 2010 and i I thank them for that.

Jings, crivens and help ma boab.......

The demonic wailing, as you were.... I type this fromn Donegal, overlooking a beautiful harbour listening tae a beatufil world by some polynesian guy so not so stressed by the wailer....that will most probably change by ten minutes of arrival in London.....

Update. Last night, after two nights on the trot of early morning wailing, I called the police on the fella. They rang me back about 15 minutes later to let me know they'd apprehended someone who's screams matched his description. Hopefully now he's been caught in the act he'll stay away for a bit. Fingers crossed.

• 1 year later...

He's there most Thursdays.....just ranting nonsense. I did hear him chanting about the dead and Halloween at funnily enough around Halloween, so he keeps it topical :))

The scrambler kid has been there the last two nights running I think. I have double glazing so once indoors can't hear either of them but damn annoying I would think if you can.

• 6 months later...

I've just watched "The Secret History of our Streets", about the history of Deptford High Street. About 45 minutes in, a preacher, who seems to spend a lot of time preaching to the Deptford street drinkers, described something he called "Spiritual Mapping" where he walks around the streets at night, praying & chanting outside people's houses.

It immediately reminded me of this thread, and I wondered if he ever strayed as far as East Dulwich, but now I've re-read the thread, it doesn't sound much like him after all - this bloke seemed more anti-demons than demonic, though I suppose it might sound much the same in the small hours of the morning.