Iceland eyesore

sallyw

Louisa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> IMO the co-op needs to close. Went in for some

> bits earlier and was shocked at the cost of milk.

> Daylight robbery.

To be honest, milk in a lot of places is immorally under priced; it comes at the expense of the producers. Believe me, a lot of my uncles, cousins and friends are dairy farmers and if it wasn't for places like co-op and "overpriced/snobby/yuppie farmers markets", they'd be out of business. I'm not saying that it justifies all of their prices, but on milk co-op are paying the producers enough for them to live off. Even then it's still not that much.

Hardly daylight robbery Louia, milk is underpriced. As dirac says, almost all inscrutable supermarkets use the price of milk as a loss leader to the detriment of Britain's farmers and small independent retailers - we should all be paying more for it!

I don't think so. They are a co-operative (hence the name) which is a very specific legal concept that isn't compatible with a franchise agreement.

aerie Wrote:

> LondonMix Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > All the co ops I've been too have been horrid -

> > rotten food etc. I think the issues go beyond

> any

> > single branches employees / management

>

> I believe the co-op is franchised

Pictures of rubbish in The Co-op. 06/03/2016 6:25 PM

Real Slip / Trip hazard.

I reported it to floor staff who shrugged their shoulders..

I reported it to till staff and showed pictures.. Ignored... not interested.

Asked to speak to someone in charge.. Guy said HE was in charged.. Showed him pictures.

He just said. " some one will probably pick it up soon'

This is NOT an isolated incident. The place is a Tip..

Note:- This was the Co-op .. NOT Iceland just to clarify

DulwichFox

I think you'd have to be walking around in a total daze and not looking where you were going to trip over those, tbh.

If it bothered you that much, why not pick it up and take it to the checkout area? It's only cardboard, it's hardly huge areas of slippery liquid spillage!

I use the Co-Op quite a lot and I've never noticed either rubbish on the floor or rotten food.

I also use two different branches in Oxford quite a lot and I've never noticed rubbish or rotten food in those either.

You are right Sue.. The pictures are not real they are Photoshopped.

Every aisle was littered.. and it is not up to customers to pick it up. It should not be there.

Some elderly people have poor eyesight and will be looking at goods on the shelves.

I have seen one lady in the Co-op that uses a Magnifying glass.

Pieces of plastic can be dangerous.

I think if You were to slip on something in there, we would not hear the end of it.

You will be old one day..

DulwichFox

It's absolutely outrageous that all that cardboard was left laying around in store. It could potentially be a lethal hazard to a visually impaired or elderly person and there really isn't any need for it. The staff should be concerned with the image of the store, and the fact it should be in good order at all times. I am disgusted by these photographs. I agree farmers deserve fair milk prices, but the big supermarkets should be paying the suppliers those fair prices and passing the discounts down to the customers as a loss leader (most people who pop in to store don't just buy milk as a stand alone product so it would make sense for it to be cheap at retail price).

Louisa.

"lethal hazard" seems a bit far fetched. I suppose someone might slip on the plastic and land awkwardly on the cardboard, suffering a paper cut which was left untreated because all the staff had by then gone to man the tills and everyone else was in the queue, leaving the poor victim to bleed out next to the flan cases and a packet of Birds custard.

Many years ago my mum sliped on a magazine in her home and broke her hip landing on carpet.

She had 3 operations over the years..

At one time she slipped on a small piece of plastic in a store resulting in her new hip coming loose.

resulting in the 3rd operation.

SO.. do not underestimate the dangers.. If someone were to slip and fall backwards hitting their head

on the hard floor surface .. it COULD be lethal.

DulwichFox . (Previous Health and Safety Officer) for large corporation.. B.T.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Many years ago my mum sliped on a magazine in her

> home and broke her hip landing on carpet.

> She had 3 operations over the years..

>

> At one time she slipped on a small piece of

> plastic in a store resulting in her new hip coming

> loose.

> resulting in the 3rd operation.

>

> SO.. do not underestimate the dangers.. If

> someone were to slip and fall backwards hitting

> their head

> on the hard floor surface .. it COULD be lethal.

>

> DulwichFox . (Previous Health and Safety Officer)

> for large corporation.. B.T.

If you did a risk assessment of every potential hazard in a public place, the whole country would close down and nobody would ever go anywhere.

Was there any reason why you didn't pick the cardboard up yourself, since you thought it was such a hazard and the staff weren't doing so?

Don't underestimate what a slippery magazine or an unseen trip hazard can mean for the person who falls foul of it. Everyone - not just store staff - should be aware of these potential hazards. I'd have picked it all up and taken it to a staff member: I just couldn't bear to think of someone going A over T on a hard surface (as I did on commercial property a few weeks ago due to a spill). Same thing goes for banana skins, a fair few of which are deposited on buses and train platforms, believe it or not.

In short, CoOp has a nice new logo and lovely 10p bags, but this branch (and the one on FHR) isn't always well run.

I was carrying my own basket of shopping. I would of needed a trolly to go around the store picking up all the crap

in the other aisles. I would certainly of aroused some sort of suspicion.

It is NOT up to customers to clean the store. I have in the past picked up plastic 'price' holders and placed them

safely on a shelf. I have slipped on those myself in other supermarkets.

As the law (an ass) stands.. If I had picked up some of the rubbish and 'Missed' a piece, I would of been responsible

if someone slipped on a piece I had missed....

.. Like clearing slow from your path.. and the postman slips on the ice... you are better off leaving it be.

and report it like I tried to do.

DulwichFox

The managers seem hidden far, far behind the scenes... The staff always seem very stretched, and quite anxious-looking... I've even had staff members complain to me how understaffed the shop floor at COOP is frequently. Feel quite sorry for them! I do agree with DulwichFox that there is frequently rubbish littered around, or spills that haven't been dealt with. COOP's food is overpriced and very mediocre, but I guess you just end up paying for convenience. Honestly, M&S Simply Food's prices are marginally, just marginally higher than our COOP, or about the same. COOP has nice fresh bread, rolls and pastries at reasonable prices, I'll give them that!

DulwichFox Wrote:

> As the law (an ass) stands.. If I had picked up

> some of the rubbish and 'Missed' a piece, I would

> of been responsible

> if someone slipped on a piece I had missed....

What law is that, Foxy??

Sue Wrote:

> DulwichFox Wrote:

>

> > As the law (an ass) stands.. If I had picked

> up

> > some of the rubbish and 'Missed' a piece, I

> would

> > of been responsible

> > if someone slipped on a piece I had missed....

>

>

> What law is that, Foxy??

Stop being bloody minded and if you ARE going to quote me. Quote the whole message..

As the law (an ass) stands.. If I had picked up some of the rubbish and 'Missed' a piece, I would of been responsible

if someone slipped on a piece I had missed....

.. Like clearing slow from your path.. and the postman slips on the ice... you are better off leaving it be.

We are all aware that clearing snow from your path leaves you responsible.. and it is better to leave it to melt .

Foxy.

first mate Wrote:

> yesterday

> there were two men clearly discussing large

> delivery vehicle manoeuvres into the site, trying

> to figure out how this could be done. They did not

> look happy.

Does this mean that M&S has taken a lease on premises where it is not possible to take deliveries?

DulwichFox Wrote:

> of been responsible

> .. Like clearing slow from your path.. and the

> postman slips on the ice... you are better off

> leaving it be.

>

> We are all aware that clearing snow from your path

> leaves you responsible.. and it is better to leave

> it to melt .

Bit of an urban myth that one, stirred up by the Daily Mail every time it snows. Government advice is:

"Don't be put off clearing paths because you're afraid someone will get injured. Remember, people walking on snow and ice have a responsibility to be careful themselves.

Follow the advice below to make sure you clear the pathway safely and effectively.

And don't believe the myths - it's unlikely you'll be sued or held legally responsible for any injuries if you have cleared the path carefully."

I certainly can't conceive of any legal situation where picking up other people's litter and missing a piece would make you liable for any accident involving that piece (I hope not as I regularly pick up street litter). On the other hand, if it's inside the Co-op, why the hell should you do their job for them?

edhistory Wrote:

> first mate Wrote:

> -----

> > yesterday

> > there were two men clearly discussing large

> > delivery vehicle manoeuvres into the site,

> trying

> > to figure out how this could be done. They did

> not

> > look happy.

>

> Does this mean that M&S has taken a lease on

> premises where it is not possible to take

> deliveries?

You know they are just going to block off LL and park out front.

I would guess that if you choose to buy a flat on a busy high street you must expect some noise. Then again I lived on LL for 5 years and was never really bothered by the noise.

But of course you are determined to find fault with M&S because it is not Iceland and you don't want it. I for one am looking forward to M&S opening.

georgia Wrote:

> I would guess that if you choose to buy a flat on

> a busy high street you must expect some noise.

> Then again I lived on LL for 5 years and was never

> really bothered by the noise.

>

> But of course you are determined to find fault

> with M&S because it is not Iceland and you don't

> want it. I for one am looking forward to M&S

> opening.

Just seems this is aimed at me.. But is wrong on every point..

As for the noise. It will not affect me so only thinking about other people. Like I usually do.

As for Aircraft noise. It has never bothered me.. Ive lived under the flight path all my life, both here and in peckham

I have no problem with M&S on L.L. so NOT determined to find fault. Who says I dont't want it. ?

I would love to of seen Iceland stay and M&S replace the Co-op.

That would of been an ideal situation for all.

Foxy

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Sue Wrote:

> -----

> > DulwichFox Wrote:

> >

> > > As the law (an ass) stands.. If I had picked

> > up

> > > some of the rubbish and 'Missed' a piece, I

> > would

> > > of been responsible

> > > if someone slipped on a piece I had

> missed....

> >

> >

> > What law is that, Foxy??

>

> Stop being bloody minded and if you ARE going to

> quote me. Quote the whole message..

>

> of been responsible

> .. Like clearing slow from your path.. and the

> postman slips on the ice... you are better off

> leaving it be.

>

> We are all aware that clearing snow from your path

> leaves you responsible.. and it is better to leave

> it to melt .

>

"Stop being bloody minded and if you ARE going to

quote me. Quote the whole message.."

Eh? I'm not "being bloody minded", and I quoted the relevant bit of the message because if you look above you can see what happens when people quote the whole of messages - it just gets very confusing.

I have never heard of any law like this, so I was asking what it was.

I'm not questioning you, but I've never heard that clearing snow from your path makes you responsible if somebody then slips on the ice.

Equally, I've never heard that picking up rubbish from a public place makes you responsible if you leave a bit behind and somebody trips on it.

I'd genuinely like to know what law says that, because it seems to me it would be a minefield.

ETA: Oh, and of course the staff should have picked up the rubbish. But given that they didn't, I still think if anyone thought it was a major trip hazard they should have done something about it themselves, regardless of any inconvenience.

ETA: That's just being public spirited and thinking about other people. Isn't it?

"I'm not questioning you, but I've never heard that clearing snow from your path makes you responsible if somebody then slips on the ice.

Equally, I've never heard that picking up rubbish from a public place makes you responsible if you leave a bit behind and somebody trips on it.

I'd genuinely like to know what law says that, because it seems to me it would be a minefield."

The law says various things about duties of care, negligence, whether things are reasonably foreseeable, blah blah blah. Neither of the situations above are likely to give rise to legal liability.

However, a good law (for life) is that when someone who you are pretty sure doesn't know what they're talking about makes confident assertions about what the law says, and what 'everybody knows', that person is an ass.