The new East Dulwich

mixulee

Calling Brockley the new East Dulwich may be the wrong way to put it, given the quality and size of the houses (and flats) in Brockley, its far superior transport links to the city and Docklands, its wider and quieter streets, and the fact that it spreads rather than being concentrated on a main street. The two areas are very different. I prefer Brockley as the 'new Blackheath'. Do pop over for a drink.

Brendan Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yeah I read that guff about a ?Middle Class Pub?

> in Sydenham. Sounds like the kind of crap that my

> ex who lives in Sydenham would spout. Hence why

> she?s now my ex.

See the thread in question here.

> Although I take it that there are no relaxed

> boozers with a good community feel either

> considering your frequentation of a certain ED

> tavern.

Well The Railway on the bridge is a friendly Irish run pub, where I've watched a few games of footy (big Liverpool fan base in there), but not really somewhere I'd go all the time. The Red Lion further down the high street is a really nice traditional pub, but I've been a CPTer for so long, I can't be arsed taking the time to become a regular in a new place, when I can be at the CPT in 15 minutes on the bus... That said, I love the CPT for the people, including the staff who are amongst my good friends, and when they go, I might not be so bothered to make the journey...

Just seen this topic and needed to add that primary schools in Nunhead are not all terrible! I proudly send my son to school here - Hollydale Primary School to be precise - and yes like any school in London it has its problems but my son is happy and is doing extremely well, so what more could a parent who lives happily in Nunhead want.

Charlotte Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> So Keef are you saying you spend more time in

> Dulwich than Sydenham - me too!!

Pretty much... Trying to have more nights in, but if I'm out, then it's usually in Dulwich. All my friends are in Dulwich, and I haven't really made an effort to make friends in Sydenham because it's so easy to nip down the hill to see the Dulwich lot... They on the other hand are lazy gits, and NEVER come and visit me, unless Mrs Keef bribes them with home made pizza!

>>Has anyone got any idea of house prices in these nominated areas?

We were looking around Brockley, Telegraph Hill and Nunhead last year and into the early part of this year, so I can chip in here.

We were turned on to the area by some friends who got a bargain on Manor Avenue a couple of years ago (an end-of-terrace 5-bed, 3 recep plus 80' garden and mews garage for under 500k). Since then prices have lifted off and a similar house a few doors up the road went at auction in February for 100k more (and needing a lot of work, the external structure was sound but inside it was a wreck).

Around the same time we saw a similar-sized semi on Tresillian Road with an asking price of 725k, a couple of slightly larger edwardian houses on St Margaret's Road at asking prices of 525k and 550k respectively (but needing work) and a smaller house (2 bedder plus a box room) for 450k. The top end properties are the 8-9 bed monsters you get on Tyrwhitt, Tressillian or Whickham - which are on for comfortably more than a million. This all relates to the pricier bits of Brockley, north and east of Brockley Road - in the conservation area between Adelaide Avenue and Lewisham Way; if you go west and south of Brockley Road (provided you aren't climbing onto Telegraph Hill) it's cheaper by 20% or so.

Telegraph Hill (esp. Pepys, Erlanger, Waller, Jerningham, Ommaney etc) went bonkers about the middle of last year, but was excessively frothy IMO - still, we were priced out of it for the duration of the madness and we gave up looking around there; which was a shame because there are some great houses, the park is fab and the view from the top of the hill is one of the best in London.

We only looked at a couple of places in Nunhead but the impression I got was that prices were comparable to the nicer bits of Brockley in terms of size of house that you got, but the schools weren't as good and transport links sparser - so on balance a bit more expensive. It had some nice shops, but the main through road is a bit bedraggled and gets very heavy traffic for what is actually a rather narrow carriageway.

In the end we crossed north of Lewisham way and got a 4-bedder in St Johns (eeewww, Deptford...) for 525k. I reckon the same house would have been on for 75-100k more if it had been in SE4. We've got an excellent primary opposite, friendly neighbours and a choice of Lewisham centre and Deptford market for shopping. Transport-wise we have an overland station around the corner that gets us to Charing-X in under 20 mins or its a 5 minute walk for the DLR or a 10 minute walkd for the tube at New Cross.

Regards

Luke

These days 5 bed wrecks, and I mean total wrecks, are going for 600K+ in some of the grottier bits of Brockley (near the dreaded double roundabout). I stand my ground on Nunhead schools. Have you seen how dire Ivydale is? Hollydale is improving but definitely not as good as the really good ones in Brockley and Forest Hill even.

You may stand your ground on schools in Nunhead but I hope you don't judge people on where they are educated. People who have been to so called dire schools can actually end up being decent and well mannered people, some may even live in East Dulwich. I stand my ground too that I am proud to send my child to a school in Nunhead.

How about West Dulwich/Gipsy Hill/Herne Hill - Croxted Road being the LL at this end :) it is a stretch but here goes:

Evidence so far

- plenty of flats in period buildings

- Good stock of family homes

- mixture of different folk

- decent and growing selection of eateries: Beauberry House, The Rosendale, Cafe Rouge, Porcini (an italian for all those after an Italian restaurant), The Florence, Escape Bar, Indian Dining Club, The Mansion, Mango Steen - vietnamese, Blue Mountain (GH branch),Still Luigi's, Olleys fish bar, some ok indians including Passage To India, Red Rose and Indigo @ Gipsy Road and a few more on Norwood High Street, Lombok (Chinese/Japanese)3 Monkeys Restaurant, Provencal, Pullens and quite a few more...

- Good open spaces: Belair Park, Dulwich Park, Brockwell Park, Dulwich and Sydenham Woods, Golf Course, Paxton Green

- decent shops Just William, www.ourshowhome.com Cheeky Monkeys, Jo Partridge, Half Moon book shop, Curtain Exchange, Dulwich Trader, Dulwich Book Shop, Mad Cow Designs, Eclipse, Phase Eight, Odd Bins, Majestic Wine, Alleyn and Croxted Road garden centres.

- Culture - South London Gallery, Nettelfold Hall (theatre within West Norwood library),198 Gallery

- And as there are some less elegant parts at the fringes and many of the shop parades (Gipsy Road, Norwood Road, Rosendale Road - Park Hall end) are not that great but things are likely on the way up - The Florence, The Rosendale, The Mansion, Bolands Wine Bar and Number 22 all opened quite recently.

- Also there are two redevelopments the first being the Dairy Site behind the Tesco Metro on Croxted Road rumoured to be a mixture of boutiques and gallery space etc... and the MAster Plan for West Norwood High Street.

Two new residential developments are being built opposite Brockwell Park both of which are to a very high standard and are sympathetic to the locale. http://www.findaproperty.com/searchresults.aspx?loc=Herne+Hill&minprice=&maxprice=&bedrooms=1&res=0&salerent=0&edid=0&f.x=51&f.y=14

The map below shows the area which is basically those roads sandwiched betweeen Croxted/South Croxted Road (coloured blue)in the East and Norwood Road to the West. Herne Hill is at the top, West Dulwich Centre, Gipsy Hill at the bottom and West Norwood to the West. The main shopping areas are in red.

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/9379/westdulwichareasofshopptn3.jpg

I have seen a lot of changes since I have lived here and it seems set to continue.

So, go on shoot me down.

Beauberry House is on the Village side and I'm not sure you can have Dulwich park either. If you are straying over that way, why no mention of the Dulwich Picture Gallery (oooh, should I use an emoticon here so as not to be taken too seriously?).

EDIT: correction of typographical errors

Yes please do. I wasn't being that location specific, only giving a broad area and some things nearby. Also the area I put up isn't precise simply illustrative so those unfamiliar would get the gist of what I'm saying. For instance there is an entrance to the park on Dulwich Common. Beauberry House is definitely W Dul - it is 2 minutes from the station. The website confirms their address as W Dul http://www.beauberryhouse.co.uk/. The Picture Gallery is firmly Village. I hope my lack of emoticons haven't made this post unintelligible.