Nurseries for babies under two

Mgdoble

Apologies for starting a thread on what must be a frequently discussed topic, but most of the nurseries flagged up are either for two years old onwards, or have long waiting lists. The only nurseries I coud find that take a wide age range are Bright Horizons and Peckham Rye day nursery and they have waiting lists of 1 year/September. Its beginning to become clear that there is a shortage of places, but that probably not news to anyone here. Are there any nurseries in Peckham/East Dulwich that are taking babies (13 months in our case) now, without a waiting list?

Thanks

Michael

My Favourite Nursery (which was called Sure and Firm) on Uplands Road has vacancies I believe as it's new. A number of my NCT class are putting their babies there when they go back to work in the new year. They were very impressed with the quality of the carers that they met and its a lot cheaper than most places in this area. A Google search should be phone number but I will ask my friends and post up too.

hi mgdoble

my little goes to magic mind nusery in nunhead not sure if that is quite the right location for you but she started there at just under a year. Not sure what the waiting list is like, I think it was better than some others. Good luck! I think childminders might have shorter waits if you need something quick.

K

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Mgdoble

I don't know if this is a convenient location for you but we are opening a nursery in Rojack Road, Forest Hill in March 2011. The premises used to be a Primary school so we have plenty of outside play ground. We will take babies from 3 mths and offer full day care 7.30am -7pm. We have nurseries in Kent please check out our website for more details. www.tmnurseries.com. All our nurseries so far have received Outstanding ofsted inspections.

• 1 month later...

I am currently in the process of talking to a number of nurseries in the area following my reading this thread.

I am looking to organise some viewings which have been pretty straightforward apart from TM Nurseries! I understand that they are not open until March, but whenever I contact them to arrange a convenient time to look at the place when they are open - they keep instructing me to give them a cheque for ?50 to register a place!

It is starting to put me off to be honest. They keep saying that places are filling up - which I appreciate - but at the same time - I am sure they can appreciate that I do not feel comfortable registering my child to a nursery I have not seen!

P and J,

I completely agree. I am not paying them anything till the building exists. It is the most ridiculous idea ever. We went to have a look the other day and I willl be very surprised if it is completed by march.

Ratty, no, P and J has got it quite right - they want a fee before the nursery is open or indeed, exists.

P&J I also contacted TM nurseries recently and got the same reply. Totally agree I am not going to pay anything until I can visit the place and see if I like it. Although I have to say it sounds like at least the ?50 gets you a place reserved, whilst all the other nurseries I have spoken to expect you to pay ?40 just to put your name on their waiting list...so you are quite possibly paying ?40 just to be told you cannot have a place in the end. It's outrageous!!! Sorry to hijack the thread, but is this common practice in everyone else's experience?

When I looked it did seem to be common practice! I thought it a licence to print money given the payment required to go on the list was non refundable even when no place offered! The longer the list the more money they make.... Doesn't exactly encourage limiting waiting lists to numbers they can reasonably expect to offer a place to in the required time span.

Not all follow this method though and I did think much higher of those that didn't use this system.