Roadworks/bus diversion Rye Lane

Twirly

I waited ages at Borough for a 343 the other night. One eventually came along, much to everyone's relief as it was bloody damp and cold, and we all piled on. As we were trundling up Rye Lane, the driver made an announcement to say the bus would be terminating at the next stop and made us all get off outside Tesco. Which was a real pisser because the bus stop is closed due to the roadworks. As it turns out there was no temporary stop to make up for the loss of that one which means no bus stop between the Station and Nunhead Lane/E Dulwich Rd which is a long, long walk for anyone with mobility problems or heavy bags - surely that could have been planned better :-(

And now they've decided to dig up the road and close bus stops up by Denmark Hill again, which I've been going to in order to avoid Peckham. And not just the two stops near the station, but tonight I walked to the one outside the George Canning to find that one was closed and then along to the next one... arrgghh!

The water pipe replacement works to be fair is for a stretch that runs further than Rye Lane. The Rye Lane section should be finished well before May! Also resurfacing doesn't take very long. A section of a Road can be resurfaced overnight so the inconvenience from that should be days rather than weeks.

Illegal tarmac ramps imo should not be tolerated and those who lay them fined (Rye Lane has CCTV all along it after all). But as PR says above, a lack of staff to enforce current regulations is a major problem and given the large cuts this governemnt is bestowing on Southwark there's not much hope of seeing any increase in those with the onerous job of enforcement any time soon.

If Thames water are stating that the works will be until the 18th of May, then I am expecting disruption until at least this time, and if their record is anything to go by, probably a month or two after this for good measure.

I noticed this morning that they have started digging up the road that they finished in December as well.

This is a complete joke, and the disruption is more than a minor inconvenience.

A section of road can be resurfaced overnight, but how often does this happen, and when will the roadway be in a state for this to take place?

^ That is the joke.

All this kind of work can be done very quickly, as some are keen to defend for some reason?

The point is, it's not and that is the thing i find disgraceful.

Not sure i have ever seen anyone working on that stretch of road.

*Minces off to find my sense of humour*

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to raise this again, but I noticed this morning (whilst walking up from Heaton Road from the diverted northbound bus) that Rye Lane is closed in BOTH directions for the next three weeks (6)

According to the TFL website:

RYE LANE, SE15: From 0700 Monday 14 February until 1600 Sunday 6 March, due to roadworks between Hanover Park and Bleinheim Grove, services are diverted in both directions. Buses are subject to severe delays.

Diversion:

Buses will divert via Heaton Road, Clayton Road and Consort Road in bot directions.

Stops missed: Heaton Road, Peckham Rye, The Aylesham Centre

However, isn't Heaton Road one way? Does anyone know where the southbound buses are going from?

As an alternative, I can get off the train at Denmark Hill, but does anyone know if the bus stops near the station are still closed?

aaaarrrggghhhhh!!!!! Will this nightmare NEVER end. James, surely there must be something which can be done. By the time these works finish it will be over 6 months (excluding a couple of days respite in January) that this route has been affected stopping people from being dropped off at the station.

It has been more than 6 months - see my earlier thread here

This has been a massive disruption, not only to commuters, but also to the businesses on Rye Lane itself.

It is a complete and utter joke that they will complete a stretch of work one day, then dig it up again the next.

I completly agree with what Pearson has said earlier "All this kind of work can be done very quickly, as some are keen to defend for some reason? "

Agree completely. Peckham Rye is a significant local transport hub. The length of time this has taken has been completely tragic. It seems Thames Water just have cart? blanche to do whatever they like for as long as they like. Does anyone know what the excuse is?

Thames water is the hold up as far as I know and there's not a lot the council can do. Sure they can threaten and fine etc but it doesn't mean the job will necessarily get done any quicker. It seems to me as though the work has men working along it at some point, but they go back and forth along the sections, which is wny most of the time, along most of the stretch nothing is happening.

I must be blind or something, I walked the length of Rye Lane yesterday and failed to see any signs warning of the imminent closure of the southbound lane. The first I knew of it was the driver making an announcement this evening to say the bus was on diversion due to 'Peckham Rye being closed'.

It would be really handy for anyone living near the Tesco Express if they finally get a replacement bus stop a bit closer to home. The closure of that bus stop with no provision for a temporary stop at all between the station and Nunhead Lane must have been really inconvenient.

ok, i know i've vented on this thread already today but tonight was extremely frustrating. I dont mind walking normally, and at the weekend it wouldnt bother me, but at night I just want to get home. I found myself walking down to East Dulwich road tonight. Thats almost halfway home. I really wish Thames Water would get a grip. As a previous poster said above, I noticed tonight that they were once again digging up a section that was already complete.

There must be something that can be done to either force Thames water to only close the section of road which they are working on, or instead ordering them to work through the night.

How can it be justified to close a road for such a period of time?

aaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhh!

I too found it EXTREMELY fustrating this evening when trying to get home in a hurry to get my daughter. These road works are going on and on and on - last time I took a bus up Rye lane was August..... The tfl website is hopeless and doesn't have any information about the southbound journeys that I can see. Does anyone know if the stops near the leisure centre are working? Thanks.

Tnis is what is on the thames water website. It says here May 2011.

Victorian mains replacement, Rye Lane, SE15

Location Live travel news

View works location on map Transport for London website

Start date

9 December 2010

Completion date

19 May 2011

Find out more

Call our works contractor Morrison on 0845 9200 800, quoting reference number CAP 5.

If they wanted to get this done quickly they could, its cheaper for them to just take their time though. Even though they are a private company they have the rights of a public authority. Total utter joke.

That's good. Although they seem to have moved them down the road a bit to East Dulwich Road junction with Peckham Rye. Anyone know what they're up to? It's causing tailbacks along East Dulwich Road (past the lights at the junction of Crystal Palace Road), as it's narrowing to one lane, and I assume anyone wanting to turn right is being cursed. And the two bus stops nearest the Rye on EDR are both closed too.

I am slightly concerned, as wasn't there a fatality at this junction last time there were roadworks, as no pedestrian crossing phasing was allowed for in the lights?

I am wondering if this thread should just be renamed "ED/Peckham travel and roadworks chaos thread"!

On the plus side, at least Denmark Hill is back to normal, for now :))