Roadworks/bus diversion Rye Lane

Twirly

Does anyone know what is happening with the buses/roadworks in Rye Lane?

Thursday morning, Mr Twirly was very happy when the 37 dropped him right out side the station and the northbound diversion appeared to have come to an end. But this morning, both the buses we took went around via Copeland Road again, but the temporary bus stop wasn?t there (was a bit worried that the bus wouldn?t stop actually).

What's going on?

Reviving this thread because buses are still detouring round the back once they get past Nigel road. I asked a driver on the 343 on the way down into Peckham today whether he'd be going down Rye Lane and he told me he was on diversion so I mentioned that I was just asking because the roadworks had finished and he went all moody. I asked the same question to a different driver on the way back and got the same answer.

Rye Lane is clear, no roadworks, hardly any traffic.. They are no longer playing those automatic bus on diversion messages at Nigel Road and the temporary bus stop disappeared days ago. Has Rye Lane become one way for buses or something? I'd call the bus company but it's an 0845 number and I resent paying to be kept on hold. Does anyone know what's going on?

• 3 weeks later...

There are still some roadworks there, & traffic lights.

Yesterday afternoon, a couple of delivery vans were parked on either side of the road, near the lights.. The buses were trying to manouvre between them, but two no. 12's got stuck, trying to pass each other & everything came to a standstill. Nothing could move in either direction & there was eventually a whole line of buses queued up, going nowhere. I don't know what happened, because I got off the bus I was on, and walked!

Probably why they decided to divert the buses again today.

I was about to post about this; the 363 I was on this morning diverted, the 63 that was following went up Rye Lane...quite random, it seems just luck! does anyone know how long the new road works will go on for? i was so happy that it was all over and done.

The position with deliveries on Rye Lane seems ridiculous. Not sure what the parking restrictions are, but the fact that delivery lorries are allowed to basically block the road seems crazy. Why not make it a red route with deliveries only to be made during certain times?

trizza Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The position with deliveries on Rye Lane seems

> ridiculous. Not sure what the parking

> restrictions are, but the fact that delivery

> lorries are allowed to basically block the road

> seems crazy. Why not make it a red route with

> deliveries only to be made during certain times?

I've raised this a couple of times at the Community Council Traffic & Transport sub group (it's as fun as it sounds!)

At the moment there are meant to be alternating parking times on the east and west sides, but as with most things on Rye Lane it's not very well enforced. The council every now and again go for a big push on enforcing parking, or waste, or food regulations, etc. but don't have the resources to keep it up.

Personally I agree - only deliveries at certain times would help, as would taking cars away.

tomchance Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> trizza Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > The position with deliveries on Rye Lane seems

> > ridiculous. Not sure what the parking

> > restrictions are, but the fact that delivery

> > lorries are allowed to basically block the road

> > seems crazy. Why not make it a red route with

> > deliveries only to be made during certain

> times?

>

> I've raised this a couple of times at the

> Community Council Traffic & Transport sub group

> (it's as fun as it sounds!)

>

> At the moment there are meant to be alternating

> parking times on the east and west sides, but as

> with most things on Rye Lane it's not very well

> enforced. The council every now and again go for a

> big push on enforcing parking, or waste, or food

> regulations, etc. but don't have the resources to

> keep it up.

>

> Personally I agree - only deliveries at certain

> times would help, as would taking cars away.

You would think the council would be well up for it given the current economic climate... plenty of parking penalties they could hand out...

the council tried removing cars a few years ago (the rising bollard scheme) and that failed (and cost a small fortune in the process)

Why not make Rye lane one way going north (towards the Library) from Hannover Park and also south (towards the Rye) also from Hannover Park at the same time (much as it is now with the roadworks)

Loadng bays can then be built into the road (as currently outside Smiths) and also a better predestrian link to Rye Lane from the temporary stop currently in place (maybe extend the shops along the road to the stop or a market like North Cross)

Just a thought rather then peanilisng the traders who need to have goods delivered

I've given up getting the bus and I just walk now. I normally only get the bus if I'm running late (which I usual am) but if it doesn't drop me outside Peckham Rye Station I'm no better off than if I just walk down Gowlett Rd and onwards onto Choumert Grove. Buses going the routes you expect them too.. it's a bit of a lottery sometimes !

The roadworks on Rye Lane are truly epic. I too was on a bus that chucked us all off before it, only to be passed by another as I trudged down Rye Lane.

The road surface is absolutely awful.

The pavements are far too narrow to support the number of people walking on them and the number of shops in that area.

The delivery van situation is absolutely chaotic.

The station is badly sited.

The bus facilities are very poor.

The cycle lane at the north end is a farce - albeit better than what was there before

GAH!

Tomorrow I will, again, be walking from home to P Rye station rather than getting the bus which should be going from my flat to that station.

GAH!

Medley, I am convinced that nothing is done by the authorities about the illegal parking, illegal employment (nail bars, anyone?), illegal dumping, illegal pissing in the streets etc etc because it might be seen as being racist, given that the businesses there are either African or S Asian-run. This is wrong, because most people - whatever their provenance - don't want to live, work and shop in such conditions. Most people would prefer an amount of orderliness, without having to pick their way thru illegally dumped, rotting fruit, and without their buses being stuck because Rye Lane has been clogged up with illegally parked vans and lorries. I have written to councillors, spoken to the local constabulary and emailed MPs but nothing seems to change.

FWIW I spoke with a Trading Standards Officer some time ago and they regularly visit the shops down Rye Lane because some of the shops sell / have sold illegal skin whitenening creams and are busted for it. If you think something is happening call them. They are over worked and very under staffed so don't have a go at them!

Gavin Edwards came round canvassing a few days ago and asked if I had any issues he could help with so I told him about the chaotic aftermath of the last set of roadworks, how the message about Rye Lane being open both ways hadn't been communicated to the drivers. He clearly thought I was making a fuss about nothing, that the situation had only lasted a couple of days and suggested it wasn't much of an inconvenience. Utterly failing to comprehend that a distance a healthy person considers an inconvenience might be impossible for someone with mobility issues.

We then had a chat about the new roadworks. Apparantly, their timing, so close on the heels of the last set, is the result of having to use or lose an allocation from last year's budget to resurface the road. So I specifically asked him to have a word with the bus companies to make sure all their drivers were informed when the diversion comes to an end this time round.

The other thing I'm going to contact him about, seeing as they're resurfacing, is to try and do something to prevent all the improvised tarmac ramps going back - the ones the shops use for deliveries. My OH hit one of those while running for his bus and broke his ankle. If they are going to be tolerated, then they at least need to be painted a contrasting colour so it's absolutely clear there's a trip hazard.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the Roadworks it would appear that it is actually Thames Water again rather than road resurfacing. Doe this mean that once Thames Water have gone we will then have to put up with the road being re-surfaced as well?

At this point it seems likely the diversions could continue for a very long time. Its been almost 5 months now I think (beginning of September was it that it started?).

Also I think I read on another thread somewhere that there is currently a proposal underway to remove the shops from the front of Peckham Rye station to bring it back to its former glory! (see old photo and future proposal attached)

Clearly the estimate of 4 February above for completion of works is way off. Saw them doing more digging halfway up this morning and thought that.

Just checked on TFL and it says:

RYE LANE SE22, ROUTES 12 37 63 78 197 343 363 P12 N63 N343: Until 1800 Friday 4 February buses will be on diversion and subject to severe delays due to Victorian water main replacement works with temporary traffic lights in place. Reported: 05/01/11 13:31 Last Updated: 05/01/11 13:46

So yes, it is water pipes. Still think the estimation is wrong though!

I agree, this is ridiculous, but just to convey more bad news to add to the misery, the update on the Thames water signs says that they works are scheduled to conclude on 18th of May 2011.

To be even more positive (tongue firmly in cheek), if they are anything like the work done last year, they will probably overrun by a month or so for good measure.

Then the resurfacing to come on top of that.

Complete and utter joke.