Waitrose or M&S TYPE supermarket - do we want one on LL?

you have to be bonkers not to want waitrose in east dulwich.

memo to james barber: asking the forum is NOT taking a representative sample. try asking outside this tiny little deeply argumentative enclave, some of whom clearly do not take their medication regeulary.

What Waitrose does really well is veg, meat, fish and cheese. Beats Sains and Co-op hands down. Would also be open in evenings which is convenient when all the local shops are closed.

Whilst the views of those on this forum (medicated or otherwise) may not be representative, the argument that a Waitrose would have a negative effect on local independent shops seems hard to dispute and this is the reason I voted "no".

I haven't seen many people claiming that it would not have such an impact. The Co-op and Iceland can not compete with the local independent shops whereas Waitrose could.

So the more interesting vote would be for those in favour of a Waitrose to vote for their reasons.

A. I believe it would not have an effect on local independent stores

B. I believe it would have an effect on local independent stores but I just don't care

Are you an A or a B? (or just puzzled)?

puzzled Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> you have to be bonkers not to want waitrose in

> east dulwich.

>

> memo to james barber: asking the forum is NOT

> taking a representative sample. try asking outside

> this tiny little deeply argumentative enclave,

> some of whom clearly do not take their medication

> regeulary.

So if people dont agree with you, they're deeply argumentative, and mentally ill? Sorry, but haven't you just posted the most argumentative post on this thread?

Well you might like to pop in to Val's store, and ask Nisha how it's going since Sainsbury's local arrived. Not sure she finds it that funny. The argument that these stores bring more shoppers in certainly hasn't worked for her, it hasn't worked for other parts of the country and it won't work for Lordship Lane.

James - have M&S or Waitrose actually asked the council for a site on the Lane? And if they have, have they offered to build other projects for the community at the same time? I know it can be tempting for cash strapped councils to allow a big supermarket in if they are also going to build a school/police station/leisure facilities?

Oh and "jokes" about mental illness are actually quite offensive. Better to have a grown up debate and list your reasons for disagreeing rather than chuck insults at those who hold a different view.

To an extent, I agree with Puzzled... this forum is not necessarily representative of the entire community, and a handful of people on here will probably say that they don't want an M&S or Waitrose, to win their indie brownie points.

I would be firmly in favour of it, if - for instance - there was only one other large-ish supermarket along LL. I don't think Supermarkets are the devil, and those of us who don't usually shop between 9-5 find them very convenient. But on the other hand, we do need to be respectful of existing established businesses, and people's livelihoods.

And surely nobody is offended by the word bonkers! Come on, let's not start petty arguments for the sake of it.

To an extent, I agree with Puzzled... this forum is not necessarily representative of the entire community, and a handful of people on here will probably say that they don't want an M&S or Waitrose, to win their indie brownie points.

I agree with that too, but I thought puzzled was pretty rude. And it wasn't the word bonkers that is out of order, it was the bit about people not taking their medicaiton, which is suggesting they're mentally ill (because they have a different point of view).

I think James needs to make more information available. On a previous post he said the reason for asking what people thought was purely based on the fact that a number of people had said they wanted either an M&S or Waitrose in a previous thread. ???

Keef Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> it wasn't the word bonkers that is out of order, it was the bit about people not

> taking their medicaiton, which is suggesting they're mentally ill

OK... I just saw that bit...

As much as I would like a Waitrose I am afraid I am voting against... and certainly against M&S Food (instant, tasteless food full of salt). I would love a Carluccio's - would not detract from local supermarkets and offer Italian food to the Lane.

Agree with DagmarJ and Gussy. You can't buy knickers and socks on Lordship Lane, I would have loved a children's clothes section when my children were younger. Especially the school clothes. A men's selection of quality shirts and ties might do well also.

Food wise I agree with the majority here, would love a Waitrose but not to the detriment of small retailers. I'm gutted that Val's might close; an original friendly corner shop.

A friend of mine who lives on dunstans rd mentioned to me on 18 dec, so i'm fairly sure it's not related to the rumours when sains opened. However, I didn't get a chance to talk to her for long and find out her source, hence said I had heard rather than I knew. Legalbeagle - do you know any more?