Northcross Market to open on Sundays?

Tomorrow the East Dulwich councillor will be calling on residents, shop keepers and traders around North Cross Road market at roughly the following times:

- North Cross Road residents and market traders 9-11am

- Nutfield Road 11-12am

- Fellbrigg Road no's 1-13 & 2-10 12-1pm.

- Archdale Road 1-2pm

- Lacon Road 1.30-2.30pm

OR contact me as per below.

Can I ask why are the councillors only speaking to occupiers of houses immediatley adjacent to NCR? I am at the other end of Fellbrigg Road, and plagued by the influx of (and usually bad and inconsiderate) parking by visitors to not only the market but the traders (and their vans) of the shops at the Bawdale end of Lordship Lane, - bring on residents parking! Oh lord, what will I have started? :)-D HP

I appreciate that there seems to be only one councillor available to canvass the large area which will be affected by the market proposals. However, the proposals throw up access, parking and traffic issues that affect Crystal Palace Road.

We already have big problems with cars speeding across the junction with North Cross Road/Upland Road or parking carelessly around the junction. Crystal Palace Road residents will also need to consulted at some point.

I don't know what dust men get paid nowadays. Now, my old man's a dustman, really, but it would be rude to ask him and anyway he retired well over a decade ago. So outlandish assumption, if you know better, please correct, let's say ?10/hour (?18,200/year - seems a lot).

So at ?10/hour ... ?700,000 deficit, for clarity let's call it debt ... means we (because it was us) have paid for the equivalent of 70,000 hours of work. Or 2,000 working weeks. Or 38 and a half years. Full time. No holidays.

Someone, should be in prison.

Or did my terrible maths mean they should just get a ticking off.

As a resident of Sydenham, I feel that the road closure could send loads of traffic up our way, so I expect to get a home visit for consultation too James. I dont care that you're giving up your Saturday to take on a thankless task, I want more damn it. I expect you to bleed.

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Tomorrow the East Dulwich councillor will be

> calling on residents, shop keepers and traders

> around North Cross Road market at roughly the

> following times:

> - North Cross Road residents and market traders

> 9-11am

> - Nutfield Road 11-12am

> - Fellbrigg Road no's 1-13 & 2-10 12-1pm.

> - Archdale Road 1-2pm

> - Lacon Road 1.30-2.30pm

>

> OR contact me as per below.

Did this happen? I live on North Cross Road and was home until 1:20pm today and no-one called.

I organised today with Cllr Rosie Shimell and Cllr Jonathan Mitchell out today knocking on doors, etc.

The timetable I put together was wrong. Sorry. Rosie and Jonathan found people far more chatty than usual and got as far as NCR market stallholders, North Cross Road and Archdale Road homes.

So we'll return. Next Saturday is Jonathan's birthday so he's excused and it should be Rosie and I contining where they left of.

They're going to right up what they broadly heard but for now the stallholders are very sympathetic to local nearby residents and agree with much that residents have told us. BUT I'll expand on this later once Rosie and Jonathan and I have had a chance to synch up with what we've all heard.

MichaelNx, sorry I don't why this didn't work out. If you email me or PM me your phone number I'll call you OR arrange a specific time one of us can call on you at home.

AND yes, HennyPenny and DulwichFox we will go further but we have to start somewhere and I should have made it clear this was first outings on this specific subject.

• 2 weeks later...
IMHO, resident's parking would kill the market & damage the atmosphere around here. There will be less actual parking space & a lot more overall aggravation and inconvenience. It's great that friends and family can visit without having to pay for visitors tickets. I live right next to Northcross Road & I understood that when we moved here we would have to deal with the possibility that it might take more that 10 minutes to find a parking space every now and then, or, shock horror, have to park a couple of minutes away from our front door. I think the market should be expanded on Saturdays, but I love that it's peaceful round here on a Sunday & I would oppose having the market on a Sunday.

Increase the market by all means but make it produce only (no more yuppie second hand tat masquerading as antique) and try to avoid big companies using market stalls as outlets - this is what happened at Borough Market - and what ruined it.

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> But do you think it should open on Sundays or not?

No I don't.

I do wonder if there would be sufficient sales to justify the cost of opening another day. I've heard plenty of people say that they would like it to be open on a Sunday but the reasons given tend to suggest that it would be useful as a tourist attraction. "A good place to take the parents/guests staying for the weekend", is a typical reaction when I've canvassed neighbour's opinions. I too might amble along there before heading for lunch in the pub but I doubt whether I'd buy anything. If I did, it would only be because I had delayed my visit by a day. I think that if Southwark are serious about surveying the value of Sunday trading they should ask "and how much would you spend, in addition to the amount you spend on Saturdays?" when they ask who wants it.

Hi all,

You may have recieved an email about a Community Council Meeting to discuss the proposed market extension. Please do not jump on me if I've missed this but are any of you either Shop Keepers on Lordship Lane or Stall Holders current or wanting a place in the North Cross Road Market?

My question to you, sellers not residents, is:

Do you resent the market because it takes your business: Stores

and

are you desperate for a place and is there money to be made: Stall Holders

I feel I've missed the opinion of the brick and mortar shops and the current and future stall holders

This is the Southwark email:

there will be a planning and general Dulwich community council meeting on Wednesday, 9 February 2011, at 6.00pm, at Christ Church, 263, Barry Road, SE22 0JT. The first part of the meeting will be dealing with planning and will begin at 6.00pm. This will be followed by a main meeting - at 7.00pm - to consider the possible extension of the North Cross Road Market. You can find details of the meeting by clicking here.