East Dulwich Nostalgia

carter39

jimbo1964 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The military memorabilia shop on Northcross Rd

> (next to Emiliy's). I remember an SS paratrooper

> uniform on display in the window.

Did that move to Lordship Lane? Or were there 2 military memorabilia shops?

It was a 185 Bus to Victoria that slid back down gave everyone quite a fright. Do remember going with all the kids collecting the Peat from the road when they took up the Tram Lines, it burt well No wonder we had such bad fog in thoses years.

When the tram lines were dug up they had been infilled between the rails with wooden tar soaked brick sized blocks, these we pinched to burn on our open fires they had been held in place by heated bitumen so a lot of this was stuck to the blocks and when they burned you got a build up ok soot that broke away dropping into the fire and spreading over the hearth and the mat.

This was a mess that we had to put up with or freeze in the extreme cold of those winters.

Coal was on ration and our allocation did not last long.

I recall that Jagger wrote: the hardware shop run by a man in brown overalls, and Mr Nee's chemist where Barcelona was (it became a restaurant called La Pharmacia for a while, retaining all the fixtures and fittings - wooden cabinets and large glass apothecary bottles on display).

In fact, pre La Pharmacie the restaurant was called Flashman's (25 or so years ago) - an up-market burger and associated joint (very good, as I recall, at the Gourmet Burger Kitchen end of the market) - at much the same time as Sweeney Todd's was in the village - also serving burgers etc. It was in its Flashman's guise that the original Pharmacy premises were extended into the conservatory at the front- throughout the pharmacy fittings have provided an interesting decor to the successor restaurants on that site.

Thoses were hard years but as kids it was just fun we did not have to clean up at least we were warm. I do remember Ice on the inside of our bedroom windows and all the kids jumping into one bed just to keep warm.

Penguin68 Wrote:

> Ok. What did the one on LL become? I went in there

> once circa 1990.

>

> Target Arms closed about 4-5 years ago - prior to

> that it had effectively been 'by appointment only'

> for a little time.

Ah yes. I remember that. Never saw anyone going in or coming out of there. Any idea as to which eatery/home furnishings/gift shop/farm shop it is these days?

@ Penguin68

That would be Rumsey The Chemist. Very dark inside and smelled exactly as a Chemist's shop should. Next door but one to Arthur Nutley's Barber Shop. He used to provide "pudding basin" haircuts to small boys, such as I was at the time for a couple of old pennies.

@ Computedshorty

Thanks for triggering the memory of being on a tram with my Gran. It lost power under the bridge at Lordship Lane Station It's brakes did not hold and it rolled back to the Grove Tavern before coming to a stop. Quite exciting at the time!

• 1 year later...

Great thread;

I remember the white lady walking along Upland Road, as a child she always used to scare me, recently spotted in Camberwell and she appears much better/less whiter.

I remember the lovely chips from the Chinese takeaway behind the Police Station.

I remember the Levi man's shop behind the Police Station - me, my sister and my male friend went there, waited out back (I think for friend to try on some Levis), and even as a child things didn't quite add up! - especially as it was so near to the Police Station:)

I remember the shoe shop next to Barry's shop on Barry Road(my school friend Lorna's dad owned it).

I remember Mona Lisa being filmed at the Upland Road Garages and being invited to appear in it.

I remember the Salvation Army Band playing around Mundania & surrounding Roads etc...the Girls and Boys Brigade in Honor Oak Baptist Church and I remember when Dulwich Baths was used as Public Baths.....the good ole days eh:)

Does anyone remember the small shop that was in dunstans rd opposite mount adian park in the early 70's ,it is garages now ,and the shop on crebor street there was an old couple who ran it and use to call everyone 'duck ' .

I remember the handy store in Goodrich when we all came out of school we would buy our penny sweets !

Laur Wrote:

> the Girls and Boys Brigade in Honor Oak Baptist Church

Is that the one on Forest Hill Road? My sister went to that girl's brigade. I went to a BB in Peckham that my friend's dad took us to.