East Dulwich Nostalgia

carter39

A long time ago (1981) I landed on London as a student nurse. 6 of us found the cheapest house share we could find in SE London (Darrell Rd) and crammed ourselves in there.

I distinctly recall a very odd shop, that we never saw open, at the end of Darrell Rd at the junction with Upland Rd. It had closed, dusty windows at the front and the display was of dolls heads and weird beads and feathers. We fondly imagined some kind of voodoo establishment.

KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> "Anyone else remember Mr Weston 'The Clingfilm

> Kid'? I was a pupil at St Johns when it all kicked

> off."

>

> Well don't just dangle the hint of a scandal in

> front of us, then snatch it away as an

> in-club-only discussion - what's it all about

> ?!?!?!?!?

It happened late 1980s. Kevern Weston was the Vicar of St Clements and his shenanigans involved cling film and a banana. Up until a few years ago my mother still had the newspaper clipping.....

lilolil Wrote:

> No, he was a teacher at St Johns and St Clements.

> The vicar was on the front page of the Sunday

> newspapers and Kevin Weston was pictured in the

> report on the following page.

Thank you for clearing this up!

• 1 month later...
yes i remember Streamline,across the road from Grove Tavern,there was a hairdressers and laundromat and grocers in the group of shops,left Northcroft Estate 1969 for Australia still living here but do remember living in East Dulwich for many years.

• 2 months later...

Hi, Just come across your nostalgia posts and was wondering if you might be able to help me, I was born in East Dulwich, as were a lot of my family, we all went to Heber Road School, most of us worked for Southwark Council, I decided to build a website and gather as much information about East Dulwich & Surrounding areas as possible, would you know any of the shopkeepers that were in Underhill Road in the 1950s, 1960s & 1970s ? Would you have any photos or cine film ? I am looking for any help anyone might be able to give. Various people who were previous residents have been able to help and still are, if you are able to help in anyway that would be fantastic, hope you don't mind me asking, my website address if you would like to look is camberwellboroughcouncil.co.uk

Kind Regards

John

• 3 years later...

SimonM Wrote:

> It was a sweet shop not a newsagents. George was

> very seriously stabbed indeed - by a seventeen

> year old as I recall - and spent many months in

> King's in intensive care. His kidney function was

> irretrievably damaged and he had to have a renal

> transplant after a lengthy period on dialysis.

I came across these news reports from the time, as well as this thread, when I googled George Hammond after a chat with an old friend. It is difficult to express how shocking this crime was at the time because George was such a part of the community. He was not just a policeman, he was a proper beat bobby that almost everybody knew by name and had chatted to. He was the gold standard of policing. Still fondly remembered.

Police Constable Stabbed during Sweet Shop Robbery | Thames News Archive Footage

HAMMOND,PC George -return to work

carter39,

Yes, have been here since 1980 and remember nearly all of these things.

I remember the 'Dodgy Jeans Shop' on the corner of Whatley Road and Fellbrigg, it was run by a really nice black bloke who did some very skilled invisible repairs to a pair of my son's jeans. He also invited an actor friend of mine to a toga party somewhere locally. My friend was quite surprised to think that there were toga parties in ED in the 1980s but part of the local community then.

Cheers.

Charles Martel Wrote:

> SimonM Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > It was a sweet shop not a newsagents. George

> was

> > very seriously stabbed indeed - by a seventeen

> > year old as I recall - and spent many months in

> > King's in intensive care. His kidney function

> was

> > irretrievably damaged and he had to have a

> renal

> > transplant after a lengthy period on dialysis.

>

> I came across these news reports from the time, as

> well as this thread, when I googled George Hammond

> after a chat with an old friend. It is difficult

> to express how shocking this crime was at the time

> because George was such a part of the community.

> He was not just a policeman, he was a proper beat

> bobby that almost everybody knew by name and had

> chatted to. He was the gold standard of policing.

> Still fondly remembered.

>

> Police Constable Stabbed during Sweet Shop Robbery

> | Thames News Archive Footage

>

>

> HAMMOND,PC George -return to work

>

Interesting footage of Lordship Lane 30+ years ago. The witness interviewed in the first TV clip (described as a neighbouring shop-keeper) looks very much like a younger version of the guy who now owns the Cheese Block. Is it him?

Hi on one corner was a sweet shop called Mr Blackmore where we used to spend our three penny piece and on the opposite side was a grocers where you could buy anything from bread, eggs, a little I guess super market where things were mostly stacked behind the counter and you asked for what you wanted. If you stand by the church there facing Landcroft Rd the shop on the left corner was the grocers and the one on the right was Mr Blackmore's sweet shop we lived on Lordship Lane right opposite the church and used those shops all the time that was in the early sixties.

I remember the incident with PC Hammond. I lived on Frogley as was naively excited by the amount of Police and dogs searching our Road.Of course I was only a kid and didn't realise the seriousness of the injury.

I'm sure he was the husband of our Head Teacher at Grove Vale at the time.

I remember George well - he was known to most of the members of the East Dulwich Community Centre ( which was called Alleyn Community Centre in those days after the ward) He lost so much blood that his police colleagues queued up at Kings to donate blood, The local community pulled together and had many fund raising events over the next year to enable Kings to purchase a scanner. One event at the community centre took place in early 1986 which raised over ?1,000 - I had to appear at Camberwell Magistrate's Court to get a drinks licence for the event. I was heavily pregnant at the time - the judge looked at me and asked when I was due (within next 10 days) so I was asked one question only and also what the event was for as they were worried that I might have gone into labour in the dock. Whole process took less that 5 minutes whereas other licence requests were quizzed for around 15 minutes.

George's wife was a headmistress but cannot remember where and the lived around Honor Oak area. He was eventually replaced by PC Mike Ward and later by PC Adrian Crust.

Yes that is true.

> Wasn't there a restaurant called Chez Nico, or

> something? The owner of this establishment,

> somewhere near the police station, went on to

> become quite famous - or was he before? Can

> anyone remember?

• 3 years later...