BARA Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The handy store in Goodrich Road was a lifesaver

> for all us girls attending Friern Upper School,it

> was still there (just) when my daughter went to

> Goodrich primary in the late 1970s.

>

> I must be ancient as I remember shopping in

> Woolworths (the site that Foxtons has taken over)

> David Griegs- those marble shop tops, the drapers

> (around Sema Thai location) and the Welsh Couple

> who ran the dairy by the zebra crossing at Goose

> Green opposite EDT- Jones? their son did the local

> milk round. What about the Co Op between Cry.Pal.

> rd and landells where Big M was. Cullins at the

> corner of Landells and LL- what was the Plough

> Homecraft before?

Wonder if there any archive photographs of the above-mentioned?

Interesting hearing about all the small shops there used to be around East Dulwich. It's inspired me to register and ask if anyone knows what sort of shop our home was. We're on the crossroads of Landcroft Road and Goodrich Road. According to our neighbours, one of the houses on the crossroad was once (another!) sweet shop - but what was ours? We tried Southwark Archives but the trail went cold after finding out it was a grocers in Victorian times.

I have a vague idea it was a sweet shop - is your house on the right hand side (if your back is facing LL and the Baptist Church) although it was likely to sold other bits and bobs.

Goodrich Road at junction of Crystal palace road had a few shops - a bakers, opposite -next door to newsagents was a fish and chip shop - I think the corner shop was a hard ware store - I have recollections going down there with the oil can to get it topped up for the only supplementary heating in those days - a primus stove. The other corner was another grocers shop.Opposite the Castle Pub was a butchers. Corner of Landells and Goodrich was the off licence where you could get a penny back on the empty glass pop bottles ( a good source of income for us kids in those ancient days). There was a muffin man who caried a handbell and balanced his tray on his head which at Easter had hot cross buns covered with a white cloth. The rag and bone man with his horse with all the neighbours rushing out to get the manure for the garden.

You must remember - most of LL and surrounding streets were built to accommodate the railway workers and their families with skilled labourers following later. Have you tried the Local Studies Library at John Harvard Library in Borough High Street ( although this may have been renamed Southwark Archives).

I did a historial and social research element for my degree and chose to research the emergence of the High Street and how it reflected the population from the 1800 - around 1960s - I chose LL as it was an example how the Industrial Revolution affected Dulwich. Found it so absorbing, that vowed 'when I retire', I will do some more research. However, many years yet before I have the luxury of retirement - got to work to pay the mortgage. My aunt purchased her house in Landells Road for ?600 in the mid 1960's !!!!

"I did a historial and social research element for my degree and chose to research the emergence of the High Street and how it reflected the population from the 1800 - around 1960s - I chose LL as it was an example how the Industrial Revolution affected Dulwich."

Sounds very interesting - do you have copies available?

I'd certainly be interested

Thanks

Jon

Somewhere in the depth of all those hidden places we have in our homes for things that may become useful some day!

Tried to find it a few months ago whilst seeking another 'mislaid item' its there somewhere obvious which is not obvious at the moment, if you get what I mean. Why do kids when they leave home, leave you with their discarded clothes/books/trainers/thesis in boxes and umpteen suitcases under beds and in wardrobes, then complain when you chuck them out 8 years later - my husband is still trying to find his summer pyjamas we put in a safe storage place in 2006 - got annoyed having to fork out for new.

jonsuissy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> "I did a historial and social research element for

> my degree and chose to research the emergence of

> the High Street and how it reflected the

> population from the 1800 - around 1960s - I chose

> LL as it was an example how the Industrial

> Revolution affected Dulwich."

>

> Sounds very interesting - do you have copies

> available?

> I'd certainly be interested

>

> Thanks

>

> Jon

I replied to your other message but meandered off the subject - Fantastic book you can get at Dulwich Library - A victorian Suburb by Dyos/Dyas. Also local studies library behind John Harvard Library - may now be called Southwark Archives.Pictures, press reports, census details - spent hours in there.

Thanks for responding to my question, Bara. You're right about the sweet shop, our neighbours over the road know that that's what their house was - but our's is on the other corner (on the left if your back's towards LL and the church). Really interested to hear about all the other shops, though, and thanks for the tip about John Harvard Library too, we'll try it.

• 1 month later...

Old shops long gone on Underhill Road, Bolding and Rudder, Georginas, Harry Hastings (greengrocer)Don and Peg (sweet shop)Hardware shop, barbers which became a wet fish shop and then DEE DEE'S. And the butchers....Who used to get clothes from the Freemans shop???

TOBY the dog was an aquaintance of my dog and used to come and knock for him....looked SO funny!!

What did happen to ANGEL the lady in white???? Anyone remember Tony Shepherd??? (going back now)