Lordship Lane street party for Royal Wedding?

silverfox

MitchK Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> How ridiculous. Am I not allowed to sing the

> national anthem in case people find it divisive or

> offensive? If you don't want to celebrate the

> marriage of your future king, don't go to the

> party.

Not against The Monarchy. You can sing The national Anthem where ever / when ever you like.

It is sung at every major sporting event and so it should be.

I am just not interested in Another Royal Wedding.

If you want to party then Party. do not need a Royal Wedding to do that

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The problem with holding a public street party is

> that it looks as though you are speaking on behalf

> of the community... when in fact the relevance of

> the royal family is a divisive issue. By all means

> celebrate if you want, but do it in your home, or

> hire a hall.

>

> From my point of view - best of luck to them, but

> I've no intention of celebrating the wedding of

> two people I don't know.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I completely agree with all of that.

If there was a "Not the Royal Wedding" party I might go to it, but otherwise no way.

Which is why I suggested above, if people want a street party, why not have one with the rest of the country on the day of the Big Lunch. The weather is likely to be better, as well (was a lovely sunny day last year).

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no.

Fuck the royal wedding. To have a street party on Lordship Lane would prove to be impossible. Too much traffic and public transport. Have it on your on street if that's what you want just as long as it's not on mine.

Don't worry, Jah. The chances of the south circular being closed off to host a street party are exactly the same as those of M&S deciding to open a branch because fifty people on the local internet forum promise to buy a ready-meal twice a week.. ie, zero.

And I ask again - all you people who so want this street party, are you going to organise it? Including liaising with the council re road closure, doing risk assessments, arranging first aid provision, publicising it, providing entertainment and everything else that would be involved?

Because if not, how do you think it is going to happen?

I don't mind this happening (on a side street, not on Lordship Lane), as long as absolutely NO public funds are used including those associated with traffic diversion, policing, street cleaning etc. If people want something like this, fine, but they should pay for it, maybe by ticketed entry.

I have no interest in it but I wouldn?t want to side with the ?just say no to everything? brigade either

I don?t know why so many people want to identify with a couple they don?t know and will never know but enough people do to want a party, so have a party

If it?s on Lordship Lane I don?t see a problem with that either - anything different is always good for a laugh. You stick England in a world cup final and you won?t have to close Lordship lane, it?ll be deserted anyway, so if it gets closed for a party why not?

So let me ask again, all you enthusiastic people - which of you is going to organise it? Cos it surely aint going to happen by itself :))

And "a time of national celebration"? It's clear just from this thread that a lot of people won't be celebrating, including me. If only I could afford to, I'd be out of the country :))

Two people getting married. Hooray for them. So what?

Tell you what Sue I'll start the ball rolling.

I'll pony up several big tubs of M&S deli coleslaw, a dozen M&S baguettes, various M&S dips, let's say half a dozen litre packs of M&S juices (even unto mandarin orange) and a good selection of M&S cold meats.

But only if the M&S has opened on LL by the time the shindig is on.

Catch me dragging all that lot on the bus from Brixton? WITH MY KNEES?

I should bleedin' coco.

About as much chance of that happening as any of the people on this thread actually organising a street party, I'd say :))

I stand to be proved wrong, but whatever happens I deffo won't be going to it if it's got any connection whatsoever to this ******* wedding :))