Peckham Rye Childrens Play Area

AllforNun

Good god It's a playground not a person, get a grip (slagging indeed) a handfull of people have views about a small park that is clearly to small and too secluded, and I would imagine have probably only in the last 3 years actually started to use it. Before that it was way way more overgrown and slightly foreboding.

Does it not strike any of you playground militants as odd that it is so sparsely used. The other playground near the old pool, you know the one with the melted plastic duck and and rusty graffiti ridden climbing frame was used even less, does that mean that you liked that as well ? it all got removed in 04' Just before the new contemporary flats went up in front of them.

But hey you probably were not around then were you ? but all the kids who grew up in the estates opposite were ?

Ps I am not sure that this forum actually represents everyones views, as good as it may be. So I would not go taking it as read that 8 people are truly representative. Maybe the council should do a survey, at one of the local schools and see what they get back, I know where my money would be going x

I used the play area over 10 years ago for my daughter. It was absolutely fine. The bonus was it was tucked away in a park that was one big play area with loads of things to see and do. I lived in Bermondsey for five years where the play parks were truly abysmal with the exception of Burgess Park which was quite a trek without a car.

AllforNun Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> as for shady - this is England we have about 6

> weeks of sun a year...and there are 52weeks a year

> so that leaves 46

Actually, it is often too sunny for sensitive toddler skin!

AllforNun Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sorry when you say you like it does this infer

> that you have been actually using it ?

>

> The play area is actually very small and rather

> secluded, this may offer a clue as to why it is

> less busy ? Do you think it is adequate for the

> catchment area that it should be catering for ?

> Instead of just defending a position go into the

> community and have a chat to people. Nunhead, is

> just the other side of the Rye !

>

> Anyway nice to see you coming on line.

yes, i use it.

clearly making it bigger would be an improvement but I think its quite good and it is easier to find an empty swing there than in dulwich. Once the cafe opens that may change things though.

the main point i was trying to make is that where money has been invested, there has been attempt to cater for other ages and needs.

No I do get where you are coming from, and the new skate park is great and really well used and I am sure the new activity centre will be a hit, but I just feel that there are reasons that there are empty swings. Also before the trees and undergrowth were thinned out numerous people that I had conversations with felt quite vunerable. I also think that it is too small and should be expanded. Obviously the cafe will make a great difference to the number of users in the park, which in itself will have knock on effects that will mostly be positive.

PS the slides and frames are built for children, a grown adult especially one of Cllr status does not want to be photographed wedged in the crawl tunnel surrounded by local firemen and the Southwark News !

Cllr Thomas, I think if you compare the children's playground in Dulwich Park to the one in Peckham Rye park, there is a big difference in quality and size. Are there any plans to make the Peckham Rye one any bigger at any time in the near future?

Also my 8 year old has been waiting all year for the adventure playground to open again, do you have any idea when it will be finished and why did it take so long for the work to start?

I saw you at the Goodrich Jumble sale, but didn't want to accost you out of the blue so thought I'd make use of the fact you use the forum!

sorry I missed you at the jumble sale - I might bump into you in Riverside....

Adventure playground update:

the project consists of a new adventure centre, a MUGA (multi use games area, pedestrian and disabled access, cycle storage, landscaping and new adventure equipment. Project starts on 19th November and should be complete in May 2008.

richard

• 9 months later...
What is happening with the Adventure Playground in Peckham Rye Park - the building work seems to have stalled for months without much progress... A friend and ex-colleague as the project Architect but she went off to have a baby... Does any one know.....?

Now the park is far far busier, the authorities may well have taken notice. However now it is busier it feels less unsafe but far more cramped, probably why the kids spend more time in the bushes around the play area than in the area itself. Lets hope none of them go under the fence and into the stream.

Quite clearly they have yet to venture past the Cafe and up the hill, If they did they would run a good risk of getting flattened trying to cross the, accident waiting to happen, that is the half arsed washed out, flashing bulb Zebra, roll the dice and close your eyes excuse for a crossing. I know this does seem miles away from East Clapham Gentrified Enclave but how about they do what authorites should do, be authoritative and save a life. Try crossing it yourself with children and you too might feel isolated and unsafe. Thanks and please come again.

I might well feel isolated and unsafe on the crossing*, but never have at the playground, which is actually what we were talking about.

(* actually I never have, although I agree with you that traffic safety measures on that side of the Rye stand in contrast to that on the "posh" side).

I was actually talking about the playground as far back as 1996,97,98,99,2000,2001,2002,2003 etc try being on your own then in that park as Dulwich park was getting gold leafed. South London has been around a long time don't you know !! - not sure about posh side, self serving more like.

Everything is in context as well, history has kind of developed that way. You know the multi nationals strip the natural resources unchecked for ever and we get Taxed for it in 2008. Joined up thinking or so i am told in the Sun.

I was actually talking about the playground as far back as 1996,97,98,99,2000,2001,2002,2003 etc try being on your own then in that park as Dulwich park was getting gold leafed. South London has been around a long time don't you know !!

What are you on about, you dear old thing?

Darling, amongst my set (many alas prematurely departed) I was quite the pioneer in moving to South London. A shortage of voice-over work in the petfood market meant I was forced to over-winter in Peckham in 1996, and I have not yet been able to work my passage northwards.

But I'm sure there are others with cause to be grateful for your largesse vis a vis the historical context.

Ahh now it is clear, truly the once prince of your art, mike at the ready near your pursed lips, from that position alone in the little Voice over box isolated from the general populace and the usual unencumbered friendships, your snowy poodles yapping at your feet, you suddenly decided that having made the move from the village of Cockermouth to Shepherds Bush that you would cement your status as traveller extraordinaire and move across the river. Well Done.

Now what about the swings and should you really be hanging round them in a crushed velvet smoking jacket and a copy of petfood for princes rolled up under your arm ?