Peckham Rye Childrens Play Area

AllforNun

just seen this thread and am baffled. the playground in peckham rye park is one of the nicest in the area. whereas goose green has elephants that don't work and slides boarded up. even st francis' park is in better condition.

sunray gardens got i think 25K from cleaner greener safer a couple of years ago which made a big difference.

What area are you talking about?

They only cut back the trees around the play area 16 months ago, bloody scary place before that. The equipment must be at least 13 years old 4 swings and metal 2 small climbing frames, christ !

I have jogged round this park for 10 years and until about 2004/5 it was virtualy deserted

At least Goose Green did not have a Fire ravaged plastic duck with a sign that said "provided by southwark council" ! this thing sat by the old pool area for 5years !

As for the boarded up slide in ED- the local Liberal Mums probably smashed it themselves to get some more money for the ever fat Goose of the Green (joke)

in the summer the tree cover is wonderful as the children can play without overheating and getting sunburnt. in the winter it provides wind cover. there is a wooden climbing frame with fab tunnel, a large climbing frame in good condition and some rocking devices as well as swings. it's not huge, but there's also the pergola, the gardens and the lake for running around. ive' been going for over 16 months and i've never felt scared. then again i am from east dulwich and i have my liberal convictions to protect me.

I like the playground bit too. It certainly isn't as bad as some playgrounds we've visited. Plus I'd rather have the council money going to the One O'Clock club, which gives the kids a place to go when it rains. It could be a really nice meeting place for local families; I hope their funding has gone through.

Rewind selector ! not angry at all, how come when I say play area people go "oh you must mean the entire park !" The park as i have stated numerous times is looking great, finally, and well done to all involved. However the play area, is not all that great and is actually far too small in relation to the size of the park, and the local children who could actually use it. You can barely get 25 children in Peckham Rye Park play area and I know plenty of people who feel the same, maybe someone should do a real survey and actually go beyond the parks borders. I think it barely registers on most people's radar.

Also ...and this is totally unscientific....but I have recognised so many kids and parents from Peckham/Nunhead and the fringes of ED using the park in the Village.....obviously all taking cars.....maybe it would be better if such a facility was provided in the RYE?

I know that the children that I look after are not all that interested in the swings at the Rye. And several years back I was aware of a few nannies who did not like to take the children in their care to that area, due to the fact that there were never many people around and that it felt quite isolated.

And Ganapti the point is Money should have gone into the 1'oclock clubs years and years ago - it should not be a case of dividing scraps. Look at the implosion of facilities in Dulwich Park since 99. Peckham Rye more than deserves to be taken seriously by the local council.

Years ago I spoke to some (trained) contractors at DV park who were installing new fences,. several several years later in PRP I spoke to a group of guys who were doing some work to the metal fences around the park, turned out that they were all doing community service....mmmm I thought...funny that!

I agree the One O'Clock club should have been fixed ages ago, but the point is unless community members speak up themselves it gets ignored. We can't wait for the council to float down benevolently and think it needs fixing. Too MUCH needs fixing. They've obviously got to prioritise and I for one would rather see their first priority be the One O Clock club not the playground, which is fine. Seriously, what would you like to see there? My daughter and her friends seem to like the playground area just fine. And as for the adventure park, what's going on with that?

Absolutely right. The problem is what voice do the community members actually have? the Nunhead Community Forum is still just a tool for the council to manage things, why do you think the Nunhead Regeneration Area been criminally stagnating for years.

The council need to find the money and some of labours big guns need to support some form of lottery / heritage proposal like they did over in the Village. Just a word in the right ears and whatch how quickly things begin to move.

But first the pressure need to get ramped up, it's the only thing that the council seems to react to.

It is not that would like to see anything imparticular it's just that it is about time more options were on the table for the RYE and more money made availible to be spent. The Rye has suffered form a chronic lack of funding for years. You can not make the kind of changes to the DVP and do barely nothing for the RYE it is simply outragous and sends completely the wrong message to the Children who are growing up in this area

• 2 weeks later...

I too have just stumbled on this thread and completely baffled by Alfor Nun's comments - but alfor never seems to let any facts get in the way of a good anti-council Dulwich bias rant.

I live on the Nunhead side and have two young children who use the playground most days. I know lots of other parents in the area all of whom use it regularly. The facilities are similar in range to Goose green and much less busy, which is the attraction. The kids also love the park element - open spaces to run, ducks to look at, trees to climb which Goose green does not offer.

By Peckham Rye Park standards the playground is in one of the busier spots right by the pond, near the school entrance and looking out over the open playing fields - if you jog round it regularly you may have noticed it is a quiet park. Again for many of us this is a huge attraction, especially when compared with Dulwich park, for example.

And yes people from our side of the park with children sometimes go to Goose Green, Dulwich Park, Telegraph hill and even Brockwell Park to meet other friends or go somewhere different.

boosboss Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Great news for the One O'Clock Club! They've just

> been awarded ?70k from the Cleaner, Greener, Safer

> fund! So, improvements are on their way!

Cool! Well done to those who submitted the Cleaner Greener Safer application! I think the CGS scheme is fab, allowing much more direct involvement of and ownership by the public.

Sorry alm just following your logic do you mean.....

That you like shopping at the Elephant and Castle centre because it's virtually empty of people or shops, but never go to Bluewater because it's busy and full of shops.

Its a bit like the play area, your trying to say that because it is so in need of updating, therefore barely registers on the wider communities radar that this is a good thing. It's kind of like saying lets keep it small and private?

As for rant and facts you yourself make the comparison between the Rye and the Greedy goose and used the word similar?

Goose: 8 toddlers swings 8 older swings - 16 in all

Rye: 2 toddlers 2 older - 4 in all

Goose 4 large climbing frames, well spaced and lots of area to run.

Rye 2 Small climbing frames close together in small cramped/bijous space.

So please help me to unbaffle myself....

• 3 weeks later...

I like the park. The refurb is beautiful and the little play area is fine. I stopped going to the one o clock club because the staff were invariably rude and officious. For example, telling me off in a really aggressive way because when retrieving my toddler from the inside part, my older son, who is mildly autistic, followed me in holding a sandwich. You'd have thought it was semtex from the way they carried on lecturing me!

The One O Clock club on Telegraph Hill is lovely, with kind, cheerful staff.

Emily Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I like the park. The refurb is beautiful and the

> little play area is fine. I stopped going to the

> one o clock club because the staff were invariably

> rude and officious.

They used to be, but a couple left about 18m ago and I find the ones there now much nicer

just an opinion but I quite like the play area. its less busy and more shady than the Dulwich version.

Not withstanding that I thought it worth pointing out that the skate park right next door is new and the adventure playground is also being re-done so there has been effort to provide a mix of different facilities for different ages and interests.

Sorry when you say you like it does this infer that you have been actually using it ?

The play area is actually very small and rather secluded, this may offer a clue as to why it is less busy ? Do you think it is adequate for the catchment area that it should be catering for ? Instead of just defending a position go into the community and have a chat to people. Nunhead, is just the other side of the Rye !

Anyway nice to see you coming on line.