> -----

> > HAL you are incorrect I'm afraid. You DO need a

> TV

> > licence if you watch content on iplayer/

> internet

> > or a mobile phone. It states it on the back of

> the

> > licence.

You DO need a TV licence if you watch LIVE content on iplayer (ie at time of TV broadcast)as I stated above. Not if only watch catch-up.

The first time you watch LIVE content on iplayer this will be pointed out to you on screen.

In other words:

- broadcast/live (whatever medium): licence required

- narrowcast e.g. catch-up: no licence required

Thank you Louisiana, I've worked for the BBC many times over the years......so I should know ;-) and yes BBC iplayer does point out you need a licence to watch it's content.

The website states;

Everyone in the UK who watches or records TV as it is broadcast needs to be covered by a TV licence. This includes TV on computers, mobile phones, DVD/video recorders and other devices.

Hmmm but then the site also says.....

You do not need a television licence to watch television programmes on the current version of the BBC iPlayer. You will need to be covered by a TV licence if and when the BBC provides a feature that enables you to watch 'live' TV programmes on any later version of the BBC iPlayer which has this option... A 'live' TV programme is a programme which is watched or recorded at the same time (or virtually the same time) as it is being broadcast...

OK so I'm wrong on that point it seems and might get rid of my TV lol.

Ting! Pea-brain has finally grasped the situation correctly. Phew, that was hard work!

BUT now, the whole thing doesn't make any sense, because - it seems - we can all ditch our TVs and watch programmes (albeit slightly later than the live broadcast) on a computer/phone etc. without having to purchase a Licence.

*scratches head*

Even better........

And it is also true that owning a tv in itself doesn't require a licence until you switch it on and watch something (which is why a licence inspection has to catch actually with the TV on before you can be prosecuted) but I can do without the TV set anyway. Remember those TV detector van ads in the 70's and 80's? All a con lol. The advertising standards agency doesn't allow adverts like that now - i.e. ones that lie.

I hope that if we didn't have a public service media organisation like the BBC then we would be clamouring for one. The news and comment on Radio 4 is diverse enough for me and where there is a suspicion of bias then the op, or whoever, should specify their concern and that can be discussed. I have found the reporting and comment from the BBC on the situation in Egypt to be very helpful in trying to get a sense of how worried we should be about destabilisation in the Middle East, for instance. Given its independent nature and its historical position in British and global society, I think it's safe to say that even those who don't pay a licence fee or who do and don't really need to, benefit from the BBC. Whether they like it or not.

Alec John Moore Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>I

> have found the reporting and comment from the BBC

> on the situation in Egypt to be very helpful in

> trying to get a sense of how worried we should be

> about destabilisation in the Middle East, for

> instance. Given its independent nature and its

> historical position in British and global society,

> I think it's safe to say that even those who don't

> pay a licence fee or who do and don't really need

> to, benefit from the BBC. Whether they like it or

> not.

I don't benefit at all from the BBC. Re Egypt Crisis, I've been watching SKY News and Al Jazeera. I also read the paper! why do I need the BBC for that?

DJKillaQueen Wrote:

> Even better........

>

> And it is also true that owning a tv in itself

> doesn't require a licence until you switch it on

> and watch something (which is why a licence

> inspection has to catch actually with the TV on

> before you can be prosecuted) but I can do without

> the TV set anyway. Remember those TV detector van

> ads in the 70's and 80's? All a con lol. The

> advertising standards agency doesn't allow adverts

> like that now - i.e. ones that lie.

NO WAY, but they were state of the art technology.( weren't they ? )

( whatever next? you'll be telling me there's a 300lb gorilla in the room )

http://www.escapade.co.uk/ProductImages/SALEHIRE/Medium/King-Kong-costume-c.jpg

:) A.

I'm sorry but the BBC is bias- all media is biased and you shouldn't think otherwise- and to me it seems the BBC is especially biased towards issues in the Middle East. For example, I've noticed a strong anti- Israeli, pro Palestinian sentiment over the years.

It seems your comment above even proves my point -'trying to get a sense of how worried we should be about destabilisation in the Middle East, for instance'.

I don't find the BBC benefits me in the least and I can happily and do happily go without.

Hi Zeban, I always find it difficult writing posts on the forum so apologies if I'm not making my point cleary enough. My general view is that having indepedent media is some protection from the inevitable bias we get in all communications. The BBC is largely free from the influence of state and private sector influence because of the way it is funded, because of its governance structure and because of its public service remit. My view is also that our democracy would be less secure if it was not for the public services ethos in the media and therefore we all benefit from this. I used the example of Radio 4's reproting of the situation in Egypt because it is current and it has provided a number of different voices on the situation. The reassuring thing for me, and I may well be proved wrong depending how events unfold over the next few days and weeks, is that there is a great deal of tolerance and stability in Eyptian society and that it isn't there because of a ruler who maintained stability through oppressive rule.

My other general point is that we all, and I include myself in this, interpret media and all forms of communication according to our own personal, cultural sensibilities.

zeban Wrote:

> I'm sorry but the BBC is bias- all media is biased

> and you shouldn't think otherwise- and to me it

> seems the BBC is especially biased towards issues

> in the Middle East. For example, I've noticed a

> strong anti- Israeli, pro Palestinian sentiment

> over the years.

I've spent some time in Israel and the occupied territories so I take some interest in these areas, plus I listen to BBC radio every day of my life, but I can't say I've noticed the BBC is "especially biased". I find programmes such as From Our Own Correspondent very informative and balanced.

Can you point to any particular broadcast?

We all come to where we are with a set of experiences that predisposes us to particular views, so...

>

> It seems your comment above even proves my point

> -'trying to get a sense of how worried we should

> be about destabilisation in the Middle East, for

> instance'.

I can't see how that statement proves any such point.

Surely 'trying to get a sense' is what people are doing when they listen to/watch/read the media. Everyone.

'trying to get a sense of how worried we should be about destabilisation in the Middle East, - sounds quite negative to me. A lot of people think the unrest and destabilisation is a good thing. Although I may be reading into that comment too much.

In regards to the Israeli coverage I think it was the coverage of the incident with the ship coming into Gaza.