Chicken gone bad in Plough Sainsbos

Just to let you know that I bought several packs of cooked chicken slices at 5pm today from Sainsburys at the Plough and they are all "off" stinking of egg as soon as the packs are open.

Phoned them to tell them and they seemed pretty uninterested and don't think they will be removing from the fridge shelves. It may not just be the chicken they are no refrigerating properly so check what you buy... or just dont buy?

That's my good deed for the day... good night

DKH sains chicken is often dodgy to the point I don't buy chicken in there anymore at all. In fact after discovering I can buy three sea bass for a fiver as opposed to one for ?9 in sains I give up altogether. Actually I did a test shop in tescos the other week and my usual ?120 on a weeks groceries cost ?70. I didn't realise sainsburys was charging so much more.

In lots of those smaller supermarkets the refrigerators rarely seem cool enough to me. I rarely buy any chilled meats or fish there, whether raw or cooked. I think louisiana has the right idea: vote with your feet and shop elsewhere for your meat, East Dulwich is hardly a food desert.

If cooked chicken smells bad then it is definitely off and shouldn't be eaten. However where fresh chickens are stored in heavy duty plastic bags (not shrink-wrapped in cling film onto a tray) then, on occasion, you will get a smell when you open the bag. This is the smell of an inert gas which is a pumped into the bag - let the chicken stand in the open for a few minutes - if it then still smells it may be off, but you may notice the smell dissipate - in which case it is likely to be the effect of gassing. You will find this often with turkeys, but also with large chickens which can be packed in this way, particularly at Christmas.

We are of course now quite used to fresh un-cooked meat not smelling of anything much, and can get upset when we notice that it does smell, but meat smelling is normal, particularly at room temperature. It is when it smells actively rotten (unless it is game and you like it that way) that you may need to be careful.

And lest anyone think that this is a Sainbury's issue... I once bought two fresh chickens from Tesco in Pimlico (Christmas Eve) and they were both green/blue within 12 hours. Really nasty. Returned the birds to the shop, of course (after Christmas, by which time they were totally rank) but the staff at Tesco didn't seem at all bothered.

While we're at it ... I've recently tried buying (unsalted) butter again for occasional use, in place of the usual margaric mush. A packet I got from Lidl a few months ago was fine. The one I got from more recently from Aldi ('Morning Fresh' brand) sat for two or three weeks in my fridge before I even opened it and has seemed to me semi-rancid from the start. This despite a Best Before date of 18 Feb. and no sign of fridge dysfunction or anything else going off.

Has anyone else noticed similar? And, before I take it back, if / when I go to Aldi again, could it conceivably have been affected by other stuff in the fridge -- say lemons or blue cheese? But that said, it was securely wrapped.

ianr Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> And, before I

> take it back, if / when I go to Aldi again, could

> it conceivably have been affected by other stuff

> in the fridge -- say lemons or blue cheese? But

> that said, it was securely wrapped.

As it was a different brand it could just be that the milk they use has a taste that isn't as pleasant rather than actually being rancid. It's worth comparing the country of origin. Otherwise, if lemons/blue cheese affected the flavour it would be unlikely to penetrate very far, so try cutting into the middle and tasting a bit at the centre.

If the butter has started to 'go off' you'll usually find that the outer surface changes colour - it tends to go a brighter yellow.

I always choose products from the back of the shelf as I've seen too many items forgotten/rejected at the cash tills that sit in the warm before they're returned to the chiller cabinets.

I often find that on opening packs of ready cooked meat from sainsburys that there is an instant acrid and unpleasant smell usually associated with rotten eggs. Fortunately I am aware that this odour is actually the protective atmosphere that the meat is packed in, as stated on the packet, and the 'rotten egg' smell is in fact the preservative sulphur which has been keeping the product safe and fresh. This smell is quick to disappear and seems to have no effect on the taste of the meat. I have never been ill or suffered from an upset stomach from eating this meat wether in date or even up to a week out of date!

Here's the perfect song for which to eat your steak;Eat Steak!

I have given up on Sainsburys meat and vegatables.

The beef had liquid blood in the bags they were in.

The bacon tasted like cardboard.

The liver sausage tasted off, and made two people ill.

Their fruit is inferior compared to what you gey from a farmers market,with most of it rotten,and variety coming

from too far away, so fresh it isnt.

The apples are tasteless.

Iwas told to shop elsewhere, so I do.

So roll on a farmers market I say,every local community should have one close,just like up there near the village.

Why should people have to travel, Peckham has one.we need one.Dont we?

peterstorm1985 wrote:

> As it [butter] was a different brand it could just be that the milk they use has a taste that isn't as pleasant

> rather than actually being rancid. It's worth comparing the country of origin.

"Packed in the UK, using butter from more than one country", ha ha. I wonder how they manage that trick.

> Otherwise, if lemons/blue cheese affected the flavour it would be unlikely to penetrate very far, so

> try cutting into the middle and tasting a bit at the centre.

Took some core samples, and checked at different times of day. Whatever the origin, the taste is inherent, but always nearer to 'offputting' than 'repellent'. I'll probably just throw it away anyway. The usual blandness of unsalted butter is actually, I find, a strongly distinctive and good taste, but miles away from this one.

Has anyone noticed that since they have taken the milk and fat out of bread ,biscuits,chocolate it doesnt taste right.

The biscuits crumble,they have too much bicarbonate soda in them, all the chocolate tastes the same,sickly sweet.and you can not tell what chocolate you are eating fom any other brand.

Mars doesnt taste as it used to,or galaxy,wagon wheels all the same,

Nearly all the food has got soya in, biscuits, meat pies, minced meat, tinned food,anywhere they need filling out.

Of course the soya is G'M from America,so its in the burger buns too.

They used to give soya to animals to fatten them up.

So if you want to lose weight dont eat soya,products. I have researched it on the web.

I wish they would stop messing around with the food.

I don't want to sound like a broken record but the number of people on here highlighting how unpleasant meat is from supermarkets, often due to excessive packaging or vacuum packs, and yet elsewhere there is a clamour for an M&S or Waitrose selling more of the same. Not necessarily the same people of course. But still....

Bizarre.

david_carnell Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I don't want to sound like a broken record but the

> number of people on here highlighting how

> unpleasant meat is from supermarkets, often due to

> excessive packaging or vacuum packs, and yet

> elsewhere there is a clamour for an M&S or

> Waitrose selling more of the same. Not necessarily

> the same people of course. But still....

>

> Bizarre.

yeah, it's almost as if most people get what they pay for and want from supermarkets time and time again, don't generally find the meat there unpleasant and that the (small) number of people (or instances) on here aren't representative of the typical supermarket experience

Once asked the girl at the fish counter at Sainsbury's to prepare a sea bass I'd bough whole (Moxon's was closed). She looked at me and said, 'sorry I'm not trained to use knives'.

The girl on the deli overheard her and ran over to muck in, filleting my fish perfectly. 'We'll have to train you up then' said the deli girl. The fish girl giggled and said 'Eww, I don't really like fish though'.