Route 63

HelBel65

Hi all

New to the area, and trying to avoid trains!

I need to be in Islington at 10am tomorrow. If I picked up the 63 on Peckham Rye and sat on it all the way to the top of Farringdon Road (from where I would walk to Upper St) how long should I allow? Is this a barmy way to do this journey?

Thanks!

Helen

Several variables if you rely on buses only so if it were me I'd allow about an hour and a half; if you're lucky it may take an hour. To avoid changing at London Bridge I generally take the 37 to Brixton or the 185 to Vauxhall or Pimlico and then Victoria line to Highbury & Islington.

You can go straight from Honor Oak to Highbury & Islington on the train now in about 25 mins (although I know you wanted to avoid trains). Bus will take absolutely forever - you'll need to change on Farringdon Rd past Mount Pleasant or its a really long walk.

with all the current diversions the 63 takes literally ages to even get to the river...I went the exact same way on Saturday and it took me 1 hour and this with no traffic at all...at peak time it can be a rather painful journey. I second the overground or train to LB and then Northern line.

Has anyone that has posted above ever done this journey???

This is absolutely the best way to get to Islington. My sister lives on Upper St and I visit her almost every week doing this exact journey- 63 to Mount Pleasant where you'ld pick up the 19 to Upper St. It takes about 40-45mins.

The only thing I can think of that might make it a bit slower is the time of day but in general you've missed rush hour so you'll be absolutely fine. You could give it slightly longer but the 63 is a fab bus route. Trust me, I've done it a million times.

Thanks everyone

I suppose one option is the 63 the other way, to Honor Oak (I'm on Barry Road, near Upland) - I hadn't realised you could get to Highbury & Islington from there. I'm encouraged by your experience zeban, but it's a deadline I can't be late for, so I can't take risks with how long the 63 would take in heavy traffic. My problemn with trains is that you can never be sure of actually getting on one, they're so packed. Obviously ED to LB is the obvious way but only if you can actually force your way onto the train. I hate it.

Helen

Mellors Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> You can go straight from Honor Oak to Highbury &

> Islington on the train now in about 25 mins

> (although I know you wanted to avoid trains).

Still not going straight through yet but with a quick change a Dalston Junction. Bob's yer uncle.

Errrmm, the Overground trains started going straight through to Highbury & Islington today....

Takes about 35mins from Honor Oak Park and a very pleasant journey it is too. Trains a bit busy up until Canada Water, but lots of people disemabark there so it's fine after that and rather more civilised than your regular tube journey.

http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/user/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2

Oh, and don't even think about driving up to and parking around honor oak/forest hill to partake of this service - residents will soon be brandishing pitchforks and blunderbusses to guard their parking spaces...

I used to work in Islington and after trying loads of routes (I live off North Cross Road) found the least hassle was a 185 to Vauxhall and then the Victoria line to Highbury and Islington, or alternatively a 40 or 176 to the Elephant and then the Northern Line to the Angel and then walk or bus (I was based at the far end of Upper Street).

I tended to get whatever bus came first. The 185 option was quickest, but not if I had to wait for ages for the bus!

Never tried the 63 option but I don't live near the 63 route.

Good luck. If I had a meeting I absolutely had to be on time for, I used to allow two hours to be on the safe side :-S

zeban Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Has anyone that has posted above ever done this

> journey???

>

> This is absolutely the best way to get to

> Islington. My sister lives on Upper St and I visit

> her almost every week doing this exact journey- 63

> to Mount Pleasant where you'ld pick up the 19 to

> Upper St. It takes about 40-45mins.

>

> The only thing I can think of that might make it a

> bit slower is the time of day but in general

> you've missed rush hour so you'll be absolutely

> fine. You could give it slightly longer but the 63

> is a fab bus route. Trust me, I've done it a

> million times.

Here here! The 63 is a great route (and not just because I've grown up with it..!).. I got it to Essex Road (near Islington) only yesterday, getting off at mount pleasant before cutting through... took me just over an hour and that was leaving at 8am, peckham roadworks et al...