Not your common garden variety spiders (Lounged)

Catcher-in-the-rye

Has anyone found some strange looking spiders in their garden. We've found a couple of smooth legged very dark brown/black nasty looking things with big fangs. They lurk in tubular funnel shaped webs. We've been on to London Zoo, but they say they need a picture, which is impossible to get as we never see their bodies. The legs and fangs look similar to a picture of a Segestria Florentina on www.stevehopkin.co.uk/cornishspiders/007SEGflo/.

yuk yuk yuk

I saw a report the other day somewhere that we are finding quite a few new spidery visitors due to the warmer climate. They did actually mention a variety that were found on the south coast being in London so maybe you are right about the Segestria Florentina. Hope they aren't in my garden. shiver.

chuff

we've had those green disc things, they are flat bugs with a slightly pointy front if they are the same, about the size of a 5p piece. they are the brightest green too and we've noticed them over the past few years in our current garden and house before.

We seem to have a massive slug invasion at the moment too, some of them are 5 inches long just oozing goo around the place.

I still don't want those spiders though, I certainly won't be looking out for them and it makes me glad that I have a cat who eats anything remotely spidery or bug like.

am itchy just typing all this

chuff

I'm not that bothered by them, but I have noticed a huge number recently in the garden, and much bigger than usual. There's one friendly little fellow the size of a small dog who spins the most enormous web that I keep walking into (the size of the spider may be exaggerated but it is a big one!)

I'm not against spiders, I know they do a good job getting rid of the flies but they still give me the creeps and I will avoid them and their pesky webs whenever possible.

It's the big fat lumpy back bit that makes me want to vom.

chuff

All my life I've had a spider phobia. I'd fight anybody to get out of a room first and once spent the night sleeping in an armchair because I'd seen a spider in the bedroom. However, I cured my phobia when I saw my 2yr old's reaction to a spider one day. I scooped up the spider in my hand to show him it was harmless as I didn't want him to have the same life long fear. Unbelievably I've done it a few times since though I still get goose bumps!

Oh dear I hear what you're saying Lozzyloz. My 2 year old also can't stand spiders and will scream if there is even a fake one on the tv. I think I am going to have to brave it and do something similar (maybe with just a toy one) as I don't want him to end up having a real phobia about them. The unfortunate thing is that the whole of our household feel the same so I can't even give that particular job to anyone else.

I am certainly not going to pick up one of those 'things' in catchers garden though.

We have had a couple of these too. Looks like the 'nest' is in the wall by our front door... which would explain why on a couple of occasions one has scurried in the front door when it's opened in the morning! That certainly woke me up - the first one that ran in was massive! never seen a household spider like it!

I was bitten by a spider on the leg a couple of years ago and suffered enornous pain, some slight paralysis, and a lot of uncomfortable swelling. yes, here in the UK! So local breeds are changing, and of course it's the more aggressive ones that dominate.

IIRC I was once told that almost nothing other than predation limits the growth of the individual spider; if you keep one warm and well-fed it will just keep growing...

Ultraconsultancy