Not your common garden variety spiders (Lounged)

Catcher-in-the-rye

When Huguenot and I were exploring this place in Umbria

(would love to buy it and do it up by the way, check th view )

we found some sort of funnel web spider, well it was a spider in a web shaped like a funnel (the web, not the spider)

It moved pretty quickly and was thankfully pretty shy, but it was about 2 inches long and had a green back that shone like burnished bronze.

Anyone any clues, I'd love to know? (I've a photo somewhere of the web, can upload it later)

Ooh, I was also harrassed by the biggest hornet I've ever seen, it sounded like a helicopter and was the size of a small bird!! Fecund place umbria.

Found another one last night, that's four so far - two on the fence and two in the gaps of the brick-work around my front door. Managed to get a couple of very poor quality photographs which I'm about to send to London Zoo. If it makes you feel a little more at ease Asset, the legs on the funnel web pic are a little thicker than the ones on my uninvited guests - oh but the fangs...the fangs!

My flat is currently besieged by ladybirds. Lots of them.

It started a couple of months ago, there was a swarm of about 50 on the window. Everyday, twos or threes make a regular appearance in my living room. I don't scream anymore at least.

I know there not exactly going to attack me, but in some large numbers, I am a tad spooked.

Hello

last August I was bitten on the ankle by something I didn't see - was on hottest day (101 degrees) while planting out drought-tolerant plants marked "From Mexico". Am selling house shortly and a bit worried in case anything still lurking re poss buyers with kids or small pets. Left bicep totally numb for 5 weeks, as feeling came back lots of little red pin pricks all over muscle - someone suggested this was venom breaking down? No-one in NHS had faintest idea.

Regarding the big spider with fangs living in the funnel web - it's probably a giant house spider - see link below:

http://www.kendall-bioresearch.co.uk/spider.htm#images

I spent a long time on the internet browsing images of spiders when I saw one of these crawl out from under my sofa the other day and run at top speed across my floor. Apparently, it's mating season for them this time of year so they will be out in numbers, and although they do bite will only do so when provoked. Unfortunately, they are one of the fastest spiders around which isn't a terribly reassuring fact!

Oh my god, WHY did I read this thread?

Spiders are evil. I know, they eat flies, blah blah blah, but I am terrified of them. Not helped by the fact I have a cat who loves to bring them in (alive) to show me on an almost daily basis, then loses interest and lets them run free.

Thank god I haven't seen any of those monstrosities in earlier posts, but if I do, rest assured the whole of ED will hear me scream!

Just to let you know folks, the NHM has confirmed that I have Segestria Florentina. Not to worry though the effects of any bite should wear off in about 24 hours. The Natural History Museum sent me a fact sheet all about them and have further information on their site. I must admit a new-found respect for the the little blighters (actually the largest spider in the UK). Now how do I kill 'em?

I, too, used to be scared of bees and wasps, Mockney. Now I am not. I don't know how it happened, but now I can be in a room, have them crawling on me (momentarily) and my heart rate does not rise. If one was in a car and I was driving, then that would be different, I s'pose. Next time, just for once don't flap around for a few seconds. You'll see you can do it and take it from there. Nero

I'm actually ALOT better than I used to be. My knew tactic is to hold my neckline closed with hand scrunching my sleeves so it doesn't into any clothing, then tight lipped hop it goes away.

Of course wasps have a nasty sense of humour and zero in on the one with the greatest fear, I think they smell it; if the buzzing gets too loud I can still snap and become a loon again.

Bees, spiders, sand wasps, beetles even cockroaches aren't an issue; just the garden wasp and smaller hornets. (for some reason the bigger they are the more you feel you could have them in a fight, the little ones are the ones that freak me out)